Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Off topic discussions - no politics, religion, food, or booze.

Comments

• My family and I like watching for their egg cases and all of the little boogers hatching in the Spring. They are rare in that they do not have more than one stage of life; adulthood. They hatch and grow, and die when winter hits, that's it. Most other insects have larvae, pupae, and then adulthood. I didn't think they were an invasive species though, and had heard it was actually illegal to willfully kill them with some kind of law protections.

• Doesn't the female eat the male after copulation?

• I have quite a few of those every year, beneficial for sure.

• A Preying Mantis, they eat their husbands as well!

Geoff

• The eating the head thing is kind of misleading. It goes both ways but doesn't happen every time.

I have a signature.
  • local car show

jr@mac6thplanet
  • Eric did you use the Osmo?

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • edited August 24

That V8 Land Cruiser would be, um, 'interesting' to drive?

In Oz at least, that model had drum brakes, awful tyres, terrible suspension, steering which took is orders from the driver via Nagoya and zero comfort. Great off road, of course.

Nice Beetle: a 'deluxe' model with an external fuel filler and - gasp - a fuel gauge! Our '61 model needed you to open the bonnet to fill up and the fuel gauge consisted of a stick.

Geoff

tajanes6thplanet
  • edited August 24

Land Cruiser- rebuilt / designed suspension, disc brakes (all 4 ?), rear roll cage for strength…. still not your comfort driver- but way 2 cool Colorado vehicle.

The beer / can opener on the VW is classic. The guy said it spent some of its life as a Mexican Taxi.

There was a 911 GTS, but I’m a fan of these old air cooled 90s models.

6thplanetGeoffMillar
  • @jhollander said:
    Eric did you use the Osmo?

I tried it out, wasn't a fan. It just doesn't flow out nice. I tried with a natural bristle brush, foam brush, and terry cloth applicator. All left some kinda streaks. Then even when it was dry, it just didn't have the clarity I wanted. I gave it to a guy at work that makes pens and stuff on a lathe to try.

Till I get adventurous again, Waterlox Original is still my go-to.

• The front panels were one coat of shellac sealer and three coats of Waterlox.

Side note, do not apply Lacquer over Waterlox...at least not in three days.

PWRRYD
  • edited August 27

"Rinkwitz Liley 4th grade crossover filters".

=)

tajanesjr@mac
  • Isn't that a Rane 'faked' product?

• Yesterday was one month with no tobacco - I am also now nicotine free for three weeks. Yay me.

WolfGeoffMillarhifiside6thplanetugly_wooferEggguyjohnny5jzBilletPWRRYDRon_Eand 4 others.
    I have a signature.
  • Our local pub (bar/hotel) is now a kitsch gambling venue, but before that was a rather rough place we avoided. The main form of entertainment seemed to be fights, judging by reports in the local newspaper.

It had a sign writer who couldn't spell, so every Friday it had "Stripers and Topples Barmaids", whatever they were. The menu featured things like 'Hungry Trote' and 'Stek'.

Geoff

jr@macPWRRYDSteve_LeeTurn26thplanet
  • @GeoffMillar said:
    Our local pub (bar/hotel) is now a kitsch gambling venue, but before that was a rather rough place we avoided. The main form of entertainment seemed to be fights, judging by reports in the local newspaper.

It had a sign writer who couldn't spell, so every Friday it had "Stripers and Topples Barmaids", whatever they were. The menu featured things like 'Hungry Trote' and 'Stek'.

Geoff

I'd venture to say some of the best places to hang out, drink beers, and eat unhealthy bar food, sans the gambling machines.

• We love dive bars.

I have a signature.
  • The fights at that pub were amongst the patrons....

Geoff

jr@mac
  • I love a good bar fight.

I have a signature.
  • As long as I don't get hit or they spill my beer =)

• It’s pawpaw time. I’ve got about 10 trees in an overgrown area of my yard—all in maybe a 12 foot diameter spot. Totally overshadowed by giant oaks and pin oaks. Never would have know they were there until dog devoured about 30 of them and we all regretted it for a few days. They’re an odd almost primitive tree that gets no bigger than about a 3 inch trunk, very few branches except top cover, and large leaves. Oldest, largest fruit native in North America.

jr@macPWRRYDSteve_LeeTurn2
  • Always wanted to try one , what do they taste like ?

• Yeah, taste is important...

• @Nicholas_23 said:
    Always wanted to try one , what do they taste like ?

Smell like mangos. I’ll let you know what they taste like in a couple days

• I've never even heard of that.

• Happy Labor Day weekend everyone. We spent a few hours in the pool yesterday and are ready to jump back in today. Hamburgers on the grill last night, chicken tenderloins on the grill tonight, and an 8 pound pork shoulder going in the smoker tomorrow morning at 5:00.

hifisideColonel7
  • @Colonel7 said:

@Nicholas_23 said:
    Always wanted to try one , what do they taste like ?

Smell like mangos. I’ll let you know what they taste like in a couple days

Look pretty green. Are they ripe?

• As well as eating, pawpaws are great for tenderising meat: slice thinly and lay on the steak or whetever. They don't seem to impart much of a flavour but help tenderise cheaper cuts like skirt or topside.

Geoff

PWRRYDSteve_LeeColonel7