Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

JFcomponents my new adventure.

Comments

• I’d consider ordering custom baffles - drivers that do not have round frames is best done by a cnc machine (per my experience)

Steve_Lee
  • That’s a good point John, only reason I was thinking flat packs vs assembled unfinished cabs was to save shipping size. Relatively affordable finished assembled cabs would be a nice option to have again. I still think the cnc baffle service would be cool.

Steve_Lee
  • I believe there’s already a few people doing custom CNC baffles I’ve seen it mentioned on social media. And I really don’t care to get into the custom part of cabinets. That sounds like my last job on the phone and emails all day and not getting any work done. I was just throwing some ideas out there to see what everyone thought.

• What about a distributor for Monacor speakers? I was interested in several of their tweeters some years ago.

hifisideSteve_Lee
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • @jhollander said:
    What about a distributor for Monacor speakers? I was interested in several of their tweeters some years ago.

Lol. I did that a week or so ago waiting for a reply.

Steve_Lee
  • Didn't you get a slew of caps too awhile back?

• @Wolf said:
    Didn't you get a slew of caps too awhile back?

I sold most of those on eBay. Then I re-ordered some more and sold those also. I do have a slew coming with my brand on it, which will be a pallet full, but I believe that’s at the end of April.

• I had to finish an Eco-6cab to see the difficulty level of using particleboard. I don’t think it’s really that bad just on the edges. Nothing a little filler won’t solve.

Steve_Lee6thplanetTurn2tajanessquamishdrocGowa4thtryBilletdynamoVCORPUZ23
  • @jhollander said:
    Is there really a market for flat packs? Like JR demonstrated, it would be nice if someone built and finished the cabinets. I don't think it would be a stock item, more of a custom offering.

Flatpacks are tough to offer. They're heavy to ship, expensive to package so they're not damaged, bulky to store and there's not much margin in them. By the time it's worth it to the seller, it's too much for the buyer.

Steve_LeeGowaBillet
  • I kinda gave up on trying to make money on budget builds too. CNC is great for volume production of the cheap baffles but the sales are not there and packing, shipping, often incompetence of the builders make it a looser.

Gowa
  • @DanP said:

@jhollander said:
    Is there really a market for flat packs? Like JR demonstrated, it would be nice if someone built and finished the cabinets. I don't think it would be a stock item, more of a custom offering.

Flatpacks are tough to offer. They're heavy to ship, expensive to package so they're not damaged, bulky to store and there's not much margin in them. By the time it's worth it to the seller, it's too much for the buyer.

RAD was going to offer flat packs, but when we did the numbers it didn't make sense, even at CAD$. We tried offering just cut baffles and even that didn't work.
    I set up a special deal with Rival to get their drivers, and for a while (6 months), RAD was selling Rival drivers and caps at cost, thinking they would fly out the door. Nope.
    Keep in mind that the majority of DIYers are looking for cheap deals and can't recognize them when they occur. :)

Steve_LeeDanP
  • ^^^ 100% agree. Unless you have a unicorn offering that everyone wants, it's a tough go selling only to DIY. Selling to those (companies?) who consistently buy should be a huge priority.

• Point taken guys. Thank you!

• I agree with everything said re: flatpacks. If those fiberglass enclosures you are making for the completed speakers were available at a reasonable price and one could simply screw on a baffle, I would consider designing some projects around them.

Steve_LeeSilver1omo
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • Some sample testing.
    Wow. Some sample are bad.

• @ScottS said:
    I agree with everything said re: flatpacks. If those fiberglass enclosures you are making for the completed speakers were available at a reasonable price and one could simply screw on a baffle, I would consider designing some projects around them.

Those fiberglass enclosures are not reasonably for me at the moment. I’m trying to find a new glass guy. My previous one has a problem with pain pills.

• I’ll put this on the back burner for now.

Steve_LeeBilletdynamo4thtry
  • How late are you usually at work?

I have a signature.
  • @jr@mac said:
    How late are you usually at work?

Late or early? I’ll be heading there soon.

• I might swing by today, is the road a total shitshow again?

I have a signature.
  • Frozen this morning

• I guess unemployments over…. Back to work!

jr@mactajanesSilver1omosquamishdrocRon_EGowaSteve_Lee6thplanetdynamo4thtry
  • This looks a lot like work.

Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • Should keep me busy for a couple days.

jr@macSilver1omoWolfGowasquamishdrocdynamo4thtry
  • What are you actually doing with them at this point?
    Are you going to measure and label them or ??

• Count, label and put in pick ticket totes.

Steve_Lee
  • That's a lot of copper!

hifiside
  • You're going to need a bigger boat..er table. Think PE would buy from you?

• @jhollander said:
    You're going to need a bigger boat..er table. Think PE would buy from you?

I doubt that. They would just buy me out and throw my product away then up the price of there’s. Lol.

• @hifiside said:
    Should keep me busy for a couple days.

Good lord, I knew you had a pallet coming but when you actually see it laid out like that...

I have a signature.