Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

IEC test baffle.

Comments

• edited January 8

That driver has been around along time I’m sure it’s been used every way possible.

• edited January 8

• What happens when a driver cannot take the voltage level during a distortion test?
    Does it smoke, smell bad or ???

• Noisy to the point of could get damaged fast.

Steve_Lee
  • I’m not gonna kill speakers to make a distortion test if it is jumping far out of its gap, then it just can’t handle that much voltage

jr@macSteve_Lee
  • @Steve_Lee said:
    What happens when a driver cannot take the voltage level during a distortion test?
    Does it smoke, smell bad or ???

Sounds like absolute shit is one indicator =)

Steve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • Probably said it before...switch to REW so you can limit frequency range of the sweep.

Also, not to state the obvious, but just to provide some context for the noobs, it's not that the driver can't handle 4.24V, it's just that it's over-exerting when used free-air at low frequency, put it in a cabinet and/or with a filter and the situation changes drastically.

PWRRYDhifisideSteve_Lee
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • There use to be a shielded version of the RS100.

• edited January 9

Ah that's right, duh

• edited January 10

@kenrhodes :

That looks like it could be an amazing mid or full range assisted.

Appears to measure better than when it was tested by John “Zaph” Krutke over 15 years ago:

Sample variation?

Reference:
    http://zaphaudio.com/smalltest/

I don’t recall many DIY designs using it. Maybe we thought of it as a too-small- a midwoofer, but in 2023; it’s bigger than many!!!

It could certainly could be used as a 3” midrange…

• @tktran said:

I don’t recall many DIY designs using it. Maybe we thought of it as a too-small- a midwoofer, but in 2023; it’s bigger than many!!!

It could certainly could be used as a 3” midrange…

Pete Schumacher has a small full range speaker and a two way with an added Wavecor tweeter designed for diysoundgroup. Wogg used it as a mid in his Anarchies which he brought to InDIYana this year. I had a small two way with the PTmini-6 at InDIYana 2022 that I'm reworking sometime in 2024.

tktran
  • edited January 10

And Impious (Brad) is finishing up an office-targeted use of the 100P8 in 5 ltrs. His is meant for background music and not appreciable levels, so the sound is altered with that in mind.
    In the past, there have been several... not sure if metal or paper in the following...
    Udon Volgemuth Blue Stones
    Dave Pellegrene had a small 2 way with the ND20, and it seems there were several people who build something similar.
    CJD built the Pecorino.
    Taylor brought a small pair last year or year before with them, IIRC.
    Corona by Meredith.
    I'm sure there are lots more....

• On my "to build" list - "Small Batch" by Kieth Etheredge (RS100P-4, Dayton AMT mini) over on the PE project gallery.
    I have a pair of RS100P-4 in my garage on a work bench w/ just a simple contour filter, vented in 0.12' they sound really nice by themselves.

• I have a pair of small AMT that are very similar to the Dayton. I'll cut you a deal on them.

I have a signature.
  • Much appreciate the offer Johnny, but I already have the little AMT's. :)

jr@mac
  • Dayton refers to this driver as a “Reference Full Range Driver” so I did my test as it was intended for.

dcibeljr@mac
  • JF1204F new Mic measurements.

johnny5jzjhollanderugly_wooferSteve_Lee
  • Thanks Brad, really nice distortion from 2k to 6k and less than 40db from 1.2-1.3k all the way up. And this will usually get padded.

Where do you have this crossed to the MAC05 - looks around 1.8k or so?

• Yep. 1.7-1.8k

ani_101
  • Nice! I was worried they might struggle getting down that far for the 6.5", hense me messing about with em in a waveguide.

• @DrewsBrews said:
    Nice! I was worried they might struggle getting down that far for the 6.5", hense me messing about with em in a waveguide.

They are a solid tweeter.

I have a signature.
  • The Chinese DQ30TZF-03

WolfSteve_Leejhollander
  • edited January 18

That looks outstanding for a whizzer cone driver. Nice distortion profile for use as a midrange, too.

hifisideSteve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • The Chinese QT52QF01

• I like the lines of the smaller one better.

Steve_Lee
  • The smaller one looks excellent in the passband of 400 to 5k at -55db or so.

• edited January 19

HiFiSide said "The Chinese DQ30TZF-03".

Those [graphs] look stupendous! Are they 3" or 4" and are you going to stock them???

Put me down for a pair . . . or more . . .

=)

Updated - Found the Alibaba source and ordered a pair for testing myself - thanks for pointing out the part numbers, Brad.

• It’s a 3” and a 5.25”.

• I'll take those 3" units for sure.