Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

IEC test baffle.

Comments

• Correct.

• I dropped off a few drivers today, including a pair of those Arylic AMT tweeters. Curious to see if there is any unit to unit consistency.

I have a signature.
  • Where is that popcorn emoji.....

Steve_Lee
  • Eminence Beta10cx

Steve_Leejhollander6thplanet
  • EminenceASD1001 CD in Beta10cx

Steve_Lee
  • edited January 5

Brad, as a point of reference, please - are all of these drivers/measurements [on your baffle] performed after or before some sort of break-in period? [That CX10 3rd & 5th HD plot is blowing my mind because I have a pair here crossed at 95 Hz HP and 2670 LP w/MiniDSP 4X10HD and they sound great - so I am really questioning my understanding of odd order HD at this point] . . .

Thanks!

• All measurements are measured on an IEC baffle at 1m and 2.83v.
    As for this, beta 10 CX it’s about four or five years old I don’t think it has much time on it but there ain’t much to break it on it as suspension is very loose anyway.

Steve_Lee
  • @4thtry said:
    Interesting comparison. So if you mounted them diagonally, would you then get a set of compromise plots with curves roughly half way between the H and V curves?

Just use a round 7" driver - it will look better . . .

• Dynavox LW6004PMR-N (new style).

Steve_LeesilverDjr@mac
  • Awesome to see there is no functional difference between old and new models of the Dynavox.

I have a signature.
  • @Steve_Lee said:
    Brad, as a point of reference, please - are all of these drivers/measurements [on your baffle] performed after or before some sort of break-in period? [That CX10 3rd & 5th HD plot is blowing my mind because I have a pair here crossed at 95 Hz HP and 2670 LP w/MiniDSP 4X10HD and they sound great - so I am really questioning my understanding of odd order HD at this point] . . .

Thanks!

I wouldn't sweat it honestly, as the 3rd order is -40dB. Even though it is 3rd dominant, the level is decently suppressed.

Nick made the revelation after building Pass's HD injector that a little still isn't acknowledgeable. He could tell you more about it....

Steve_Lee
  • edited January 5

Which drivers can't manage -40dB H3 at 2.8V?

I'm looking for Pass HD injector, finding only H2 injector, where is H3?

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • SB-25CD-P in Dayton 6.5x12” modified horn.

Steve_Leejhollander
  • Acrylic AMT-7
    No matter what capacitor I used nothing changed much. So went easy on them.

This compares driver 1 to driver 2 at all different axis.

Steve_Lee
  • That HD injector I think was H2 based.

• Do you have a SEOS-8 to test the SB 25D Bianco in?

Steve_Lee
  • Generating a single harmonic through analog means without contaminating other aspects of the signal will be a challenge. This type of comparison is best achieved in digital domain , here's a plugin for Audacity that may be a good tool to use:
    https://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Audio/Audio-Plugins/Harmonic-Generator.shtml

I may test it out in the next while, as I have some drivers that manage -70dB or better H3. I can say that -40dB H2 may be perfectly acceptable, -40dB H3 however is "easily audible" just listening to a sine sweep. For myself, -40dB H3 would be more of a "is it broken" threshold, set the bar a bit higher (err...lower) for something I would consider a hifi driver.

Steve_Lee
  • @dcibel said:
    Generating a single harmonic through analog means without contaminating other aspects of the signal will be a challenge.

I've heard Nelson Pass knows some stuff, he probably figured it out okay.

dcibelSteve_Lee
  • @ani_101 said:
    Do you have a SEOS-8 to test the SB 25D Bianco in?

I have a SEO8 but that is not a 1” opening it’s a 1.5”

• edited January 5

@a4eaudio said:

@dcibel said:
    Generating a single harmonic through analog means without contaminating other aspects of the signal will be a challenge.

I've heard Nelson Pass knows some stuff, he probably figured it out okay.

Yes, we should never question what those smart people say and search for validation, they're always right... But I suppose for $8 and some spare parts I can build the simple JFET circuit and see for myself...but I'll probably use the digital method. 5 min of search leads me to believe the H2 generator provides "dominant 2nd order" in a tube amp sort of sense. Besides the point anyway, which was 1% H2, not H3.

• ^ I agree - it is best to experiment and decide for one's own self - the lesson sticks much more firmly this way.

• Seems testing to only 20khz might not quite give enough HD info for tweeters that would be crossed high. Or does it not matter much that high?

• Can you hear beyond 20kHz?

Steve_Lee
  • Well, those AMT measure better response-wise than I was expecting but distortion is pretty disappointing. Wonder what to do with them.

I have a signature.
  • @jr@mac said:
    Well, those AMT measure better response-wise than I was expecting but distortion is pretty disappointing. Wonder what to do with them.

Do you want me to post that metal dome tweeter you gave me?

• @hifiside said:

@jr@mac said:
    Well, those AMT measure better response-wise than I was expecting but distortion is pretty disappointing. Wonder what to do with them.

Do you want me to post that metal dome tweeter you gave me?

Yessir

I have a signature.
  • Molisio MO-2308
    I had high hopes for this one, by the look of the FR I was hoping it would have “stepped it up “.

dcibelSteve_LeejhollanderTurn2
  • @hifiside said:
    Molisio MO-2308
    I had high hopes for this one, by the look of the FR I was hoping it would have “stepped it up “.

On the other hand, distortion isn't the worst.

I have a signature.
  • Cross it around 3K or maybe a touch lower, and it's completely usable.

• edited January 5

That's unfortunate, did they forget to put stuffing in the chamber? I'd disassemble that one and try to fix it. Why does a tweeter need such a huge rear chamber?

Not sure what to think about this statement, but the best tweeter on my shelf is AliExpress off-brand "Melodavid" Be28. I'm not convinced it's really a Be tweeter, more likely Al or Ti with ceramic coating, but it performs well enough that I'm not sure I care that much. It looks nice and performs well, what more can you ask for?

Tested at 2.8V. I did crank it +5dB to ~5V, no change.

Filtered for 2kHz LR4, 3rd order is all but non-existent. This one is truly competitive with the top end "name brand" tweeters!

Steve_Leetktrangregrueff