Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

New Products Thread

Comments

• @jr@mac said:
    Maybe Newark is going to step up their game, would like to see this driver hit stateside:
    https://www.lyeco.com.tw/product-detail-2486401.html

I sent an inquiry to them, but MOQ is 100 and pricing came in just over $50 FOB. If someone wanted to manage a group buy on a larger forum we could make it work, but I can't afford to sit on over $5000 worth of drivers hoping people will buy them for $150/pr.

Overpriced.

• I'm sure at 500 pieces, the price would be quite a bit lower.

I have a signature.
  • New SB Acoustics 10" paper woofers at Madisound! Need a big box to go vented, but they'll go low and at a nice price.

DirkSteve_Leee6zion
  • With QTS .43 and a low Fs, they are perfect for sealed with capacitive boost.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • edited November 2023

A shortcut:
    https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-10-woofers/

Sealed. Totally sealed with that guy. 1.5cf / 45L for a 48hz F3. A bit of a shame on the sensitivity given the large box sizes, but power is cheaper than ever I guess.

You'd need a hell of a tank filter for that cone breakup, but I think you could 2-way waveguide that puppy. Coincidentally, I have a spare pair of SEOS-8s on the shelf, and I'm trying to convince my buddy to let me build him something in the shape of the KLH model 5. And this SB gets posted. Feels like fate.

Edit: 7.9mm one way and only 1mH of inductance. holy crap.

rjj45Steve_Lee
  • edited November 2023

The 4Ω version is 91db, Dirk - not sure what the sensitivity issue is . . . but they are seriously tempting.
    (I need to model them) I guess . . .

ETA: Modeled in WinISD they are 88db, But do have a nice roll-off in 1.5 cu ft sealed cab of 47 Hz F3.

Dirk
  • I’ve seen pics of the rear side of this driver. It doesn’t have a pole vent.

So I hope SB has vented it under the dust cap

Steve_Lee
  • Only need to look at the photos at Mad to see that.

tktranSteve_Lee
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • Interesting, and the Q of 0.53 is perfect for sealed bass. I see no reason to build a 4 cubic foot enclosure for a 10" driver, regardless of low end response.

JasonPSteve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • If this is a new product, why does it have a bucking magnet on it?

• Overpriced

tktran
  • You'd have to see the FEA to see what the motor is doing, but it could either be a bucker, or a booster magnet.

• edited November 2023

Advertised as buck.

Cheaper than Peerless SLS 830668 and looks very similar otherwise so I think the price is fine.

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • @Gowa

I don’t think any of these drivers are as good value as the ones from RAD.

Do you know what’s happening at RAD?

rjj45
  • edited November 2023

@tktran said:
    @Gowa

I don’t think any of these drivers are as good value as the ones from RAD.

Do you know what’s happening at RAD?

As far as I know, it's kaput. I don't think it got the support it needed to continue.

• What about Rival Acoustics? They seem to have a new website but no leads as to where to acquire drivers.

PWRRYD
  • According to what Chuck told me, they have pulled out of DIY distribution, and are OEM only.

• That's a shame for us DIYr's.

• Yeah, it was great while it lasted! I still have a set of Kevlars to use, one of my Versabox projects down the road.

• I still have a pair of the R176-CP-08 for a future project. So many ideas, so little time!

• @tktran said:
    What about Rival Acoustics? They seem to have a new website but no leads as to where to acquire drivers.

Rival was operating through RAD for DIY but couldn't get the support needed to continue. RAD even sold many drivers for the wholesale price and still couldn't muster the interest needed. So Rival pulled out of DIY altogether.

• Cheaper than Peerless SLS 830668 and looks very similar

Some recent pricing changes on the 830668 makes it competitive, but this driver is an unknown entity, whereas the 830668 is proven good performer.

I was tempted to buy one to test in my 1 cu ft sealed box, but I have no use for yet another 10” woofer…

• edited November 2023

@Gowa said:

@tktran said:
    What about Rival Acoustics? They seem to have a new website but no leads as to where to acquire drivers.

Rival was operating through RAD for DIY but couldn't get the support needed to continue. RAD even sold many drivers for the wholesale price and still couldn't muster the interest needed. So Rival pulled out of DIY altogether.

We might be a slowly dying breed. From India to Australia to Taiwan to Japan to Canada to USA to Norway it seems to me that all the electronics stores have died, or are dying.

Even the Australian national electronics supplier that distributes Scan-Speak, SBA, Tymphany, Dayton Audio for Oceania have started carrying Bose Professional, Bosch, Electrovoice speakers. Their own loudspeakers kits with cabinets, which were introduced in ~2000 have faded away (NLA)

Now it's all ready made, ready to install for the contracter or "DIYer'"

It’s hard to get the future generation of kids interested in “how does electronics work” when it’s increasingly miniaturised and integrated. Heck, sometimes it’s next to impossible to figure out how to access the battery without cutting some kind of tiny glue line.

Something feels very wrong when a cracked LCD screen on a Microsoft Surface Laptop requires that you back up your data, send it away + a "repair" bill of ~$500 if I recall correctly and you wait a few weeks... (because you won’t get your data back- it’s not the same laptop that comes back, but a refurbished laptop as a replacement)

After pressure from Right to Repair groups, now Microsoft offer a replacement screen for US$330 + repair guide + 90 days warranty. You DIY!

Which is better than my mother being left with a shattered screen for over a year, I guess.

But a meanwhile a brand new Surface Laptop 5 with today's specs costs $799...

Don't even get me started on Apple computing...

/rant off

Gowarjj45DrewsBrewsSteve_Lee
  • Remember when the customers desires actually mattered? Some of these big companies are no longer interested in building the best product with features that people are asking for. Bye-bye upgrading your HD or RAM. Bye-bye SD card slot and headphone jack. Just buy a dongle and our overpriced Bluetooth earbuds. With subscription based software and engineered obsolescence in hardware, these big corporations are proving they don't give two shits about the customer, as long the marketing hype is moving product and the stock price isn't falling.

Steve_Leerjj45Mikeg
  • We are definitely living in a different world.

• Want a keyboard and dac/headphone amp combo?
    https://www.fiio.com/newsinfo/880928.html

silverD
  • edited November 2023

I saw that. It may tidy up your desk space, and the audio guts are good quality since they just stuffed one of their existing products into the chassis and put them both passively on the same USB bus. Crucially, nobody knows how good of a keyboard it is yet. LOL

$149 on AliExpress. The price seems strangely low to me, given the explosion of both the headphone and mechanical keyboard hobbies (Massdrop, anyone?). If it types well, they could have tacked another $100 on that price. You know Logitech would have.

• Thats pretty cool, actually.

I have a signature.
  • No mouse included? Sheesh