Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Morel Chubby faced eggs

edited June 3 in DIY

I laid a couple off eggs and it was kind off fun. These will also be a tri-taper TL.

kenrhodestajanes4thtrySteve_Leeugly_wooferhifisideSilver1omo6thplanetAnalogkid455

Comments

• I think my typing is off

• Here is the new chubby baffle set on top of my previous egg speaker
    with the 12 mm acrylic white baffle

jr@mackenrhodes4thtrySteve_LeehifisideTurn2MartyH
  • This looks like a big middle finger to diffraction. What CAD CAM software do you use?

PWRRYDSteve_Lee
  • Is that the Morel Supreme tweeter?

• @kenrhodes said:
    This looks like a big middle finger to diffraction. What CAD CAM software do you use?

I use the V Carve Pro software that came with my router

• @PWRRYD said:
    Is that the Morel Supreme tweeter?

10-4 Buddy

tajanes
  • Bill probably thinks it looks like his diffractorama speakers made a baby

4thtry6thplanet
  • Did you cut the woofer rebate through the tweeter aluminum flange? Bet that had to make you sweat.....

• No I scribed a line on the tweeter flange and sanded to it with my edge sander. I had to cool it down a few times. That dome treatment that Morel uses seems to be water soluble. They turned white ish for a while. Hope they're ok.

• @Eggguy said:
    They turned white ish for a while.

Yeah, that would have looked ridiculous, everyone knows the yolk is yellow.

WolfSteve_Lee4thtryAnalogkid455
  • @Eggguy said:
    No I scribed a line on the tweeter flange and sanded to it with my edge sander. I had to cool it down a few times. That dome treatment that Morel uses seems to be water soluble. They turned white ish for a while. Hope they're ok.

WOW! I've never seen a dome get hot like that before. I would be doing sound/impedance checks to make sure...
    At least you can get replacement domes, and I think the replacements are separate from the faceplate for Morels. Not many tweeters are built that way.

• I sprayed water from a spray bottle on the tweeter while I was holding it in my hand up side down. I often times catch myself leaning towards form over of function, and dusty domes have a form that needs cleaning, or perhaps not.

• The diffractorama children were probably throwing a temper tantrum! B)

• That's fantastic!

Steve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • Anyone wanna guess what the 1/8 inch groove is for?

• Grilled eggs.

Steve_LeeEggguy6thplanetTurn2
  • @kenrhodes said:
    Grilled eggs.

Yellow grills would be a first for me.

• I'm also thinking grilles, however since Wolf called that already I'm going to say an inlay of some variety. I'm guessing you're going to paint the white acrylic something metallic, so I'm going to say....brass?

• I have done yellow already. I feel the need to try something different, maybe on off-white with black behind, and the wood baffle is intended to replace the white acrylic baffle

• Green

I would listen to them on a train, I would listen to them on a plane

tajanesDrewsBrewsAnalogkid455Silver1omoSteve_Lee6thplanetBilletColonel7
  • edited May 9

I figured inlay would have been before all the rough sanding so I would have said grills too.

• Good one buddy. I love me some Dr. Seuss. Just please don't call me a star bellied sneech, those guys were dicks.

DrewsBrewsSteve_LeeAnalogkid455
  • edited May 10

Green Eggs?

• They're not green and they're not pink, but they could be considered a feminine color. I got some bad ass drivers and I'm not sure if I like the candy ass color scheme. They have to come back apart anyway so I might go with a piece of laminate that I have for the curved sides that is black with white streaks. Opinions? Criticism welcome.

• edited May 14

The whitewash is interesting looking in a good way IMO (especially with that nice satin finish), but I think the rest of the white painted parts might be too far in that direction. I like to contrast it with regular wood tones. Maybe try a veneered plywood for the front/back plates?

Steve_Lee
  • Needs some deep purple heart walnut trim on it somewhere for contrast, IMO.

• I am inclined to agree. It's too monochromatic. That's a fancy word for kinda sucks

Steve_LeeAnalogkid455
  • Regardless, your talents/skills are very refined.