Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

The Replacements

Comments

• @PWRRYD said:
    Hi Mike. Good to see you posting. Congrats on making it to the finish line (retirement).

Thanks Craig!

• Waiting for Nicholas' cat to show up.

• I lined the cabinets with foam and cotton. I installed a mounting plate for the crossover boards.

I glued the front baffle to the cabinet.

I flush trimmed the front baffle with a top bearing bit on the router table.

Ron

tajanesSteve_Lee4thtry6thplanetSilver1omo
  • That's some fine workmanship, Ron - the solid Walnut baffle is going to look sweet.
    Kinda surprised you didn't walk us through the routing recesses process though . . .

• @Nicholas_23 said:

RIP

I have a signature.
  • yeah , he was a good puss

hifiside
  • My 18 YO cat got snatched by a coyote recently - sorry for your buddy getting gone, dude.

• @Steve_Lee said:
    That's some fine workmanship, Ron - the solid Walnut baffle is going to look sweet.
    Kinda surprised you didn't walk us through the routing recesses process though . . .

I did.

https://diy.midwestaudio.club/discussion/comment/54636/#Comment_54636

Thanks to all for the compliments.

Ron

Steve_Lee
  • @Ron_E said:

@Steve_Lee said:
    That's some fine workmanship, Ron - the solid Walnut baffle is going to look sweet.

I did.

https://diy.midwestaudio.club/discussion/comment/54636/#Comment_54636

Thanks to all for the compliments.

Ron

Thanks for pointing-out that foot hanging-out of my mouth - I couldn't see it for all the toes in the way . . .

=)

• Impeccable work as always. Ron, I appreciate your documentation of your beautiful work. I've at least attempted to employ some of your tricks and techniques over the years. I just wish more of the results would tag along. Must be the operator. :/

• I didn't have gaskets for the 3D printed ports and the GRS tweeter faceplates so I 3D printed gaskets for them with TPU filament. TPU is a rubbery filament that lets you print flexible parts. The gaskets are about .020 inches thick,

My wood shop is in the basement of a rental house we have and I stopped by this afternoon on the way to get groceries to pick up the port I'd left there. I carefully place the port in the the shade of the roof pillar while I shopped. By the time I got back to the car it was no longer in the shade so I picked it up to see if it was still solid. It seemed fine but I just noticed the end of the port is a little oblong now. There's a reason the tell you not to leave 3D printed objects in the car on a hot summer day.

Ron

6thplanetSteve_Leeugly_woofertajaneshifiside
  • Ron, I recommend adding some mass/damping to the rear of the BG chamber cap. As thin as it is, it can oscillate under pressures and induce a small amount of noise. I glued a square piece of rubberized sport flooring of about the same size as the cap to the backs using E6000. I felt it was audible and worth doing after the addition.
    Just a thought.....

• edited June 24

Thanks for the idea. I can easily glue a small piece of plywood to the back of the tweeter cutout so it has it's own rear chamber.

Ron

Wolf
  • I put a 45 degree chamfer on the front baffle with a 45 degree router bit on the router table. I slowed the router down and made lots of passes and had minimal burning.

I did a fair amount of finish sanding.

I need to sand the other cabinet and drill holes for the port and terminal cup and then it will be time to start finishing.

Silver1omotajanesTurn2silverD4thtry6thplanet
  • edited June 25

Wow! Those are looking sweet, Ron.
    Are you going to leave the routed edges sharp or hand sand them lightly to give a more subtle edge to them?
    Have you decided upon a type of finish coating yet?

• I'll probably break the edges slightly. My go to finish is natural Watco Danish oil followed by several coats of wipe on poly. It should come out like this.

Steve_Leeugly_wooferBillet4thtry6thplanet
  • Look great, Ron. I envy your skills.

I have a signature.
  • Very nice

• Solid😎

• I put a coat of Watco natural Danish oil on and I'm really pleased with how they look. I took this picture with the fronts still wet. They won't be this shiny when the finish dries.

a4eaudiougly_wooferTom_Sjohnny5jzNicholas_23Steve_LeeSilver1omo6thplanetTurn24thtryand 2 others.
  • edited July 16

I applied the Watco Danish oil and 3 coats of poly everywhere but the 45 degree chamfers so I could mount the drivers and measure.

The woofer merged FF, NF, Port and calculated baffle step response.

The tweeter response.

The crossover response sim.

The parts shipped this morning for the 2500Hz 24db/oct crossover.

kenrhodestajanesSteve_Lee6thplanetSilver1omoGowa
  • They look great Ron. Wipe on poly or did you spray it? I only have internet access on my phone so I can't tell... is it satin or gloss poly?

• It's Minwax wipe-on satin poly applied with a foam brush. When I finish a side I do half of the round-over on each corner and immediately wipe off any runs with a paper towel.

6thplanetPWRRYD
  • I have a small workbench with a top that tilts so I could make the chamfers level while applying a couple of coats of poly.

The crossover parts arrived yesterday so I breadboarded a crossover and took measurements this morning. I had printed a shorter port to raise the port tuning and the final response looks better than the sim.

I did a quick listen and I think it sounded pretty good.

Steve_Lee6thplanetSilver1omougly_wooferTurn2Eggguy4thtryPWRRYDTom_Shifisideand 1 other.
  • impressive little build

• Those cabinets just smack of deep luster/color.

• I am looking forward to seeing that quarter sawn walnut veneer. That will be a new one for me.

• It was crossover assembly day.

kenrhodesTom_S6thplanetjhollander4thtrySteve_Lee
  • I finished them up yesterday. I need to get some black filament for the printer so I can reprint the ports. I have one black one that's missing a chamfer and one blue one because I ran out of black filament.

My friend is in town and will get to hear them this evening.

4thtryjr@mac6thplanetPWRRYDtajanesugly_wooferSteve_LeeEggguyBilletTom_Sand 1 other.