Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Sales, deals, and steals - formerly known as the "PE DOTD" thread.

Comments

• ani_101 said:
    Thanks John. what software is this? 
    ABC Dipole freeware from John K's site.
  • I found the Peerless FR plot on their website.  With some EQ I think you could run these 18's up to 500 or so Hz.  So a 3 way with a good 5" mid and capable tweeter (both on an ~7" wide baffle) could sound really great.  You could passively xo the mid to the tweeter and use a MiniDSP and 4 channels of amp and have something special.  The question becomes "can you convince your wife that 24" x 24" x 18" deep H-frame OB woofers is OK"?   B)
    jr@mac
  • Well they would be 40inch tall flower pot stands.... :p
  • Kornbread said:
    squamishdroc said:
    Kornbread said:
    What's the word on PartsConnexion?  Their prices, at least on capacitors, are much better than PE.  Their Jantzen superior 2.2uf are $13 while PE is $21.  Their silvers are $3 cheaper than PE's superior.  Shipping's not bad either.       
    I ordered a bunch of caps last week that showed in stock on the website - promptly got an email saying everything I ordered was 8 - 10 weeks out. So I just canceled the order but only got 1/3 of my money back and then the next day get an email from Canada Post saying my package from them is on the way🤷‍♂️ - I'm interested to see what I get  =)
    Have you received your order yet?  Just now got an email saying they were out of a .15uf crosscap and wanted to know if they could sub something. 
    I didn't even order a crosscap.
    Not feeling the love.   

I recieved my Mouser and PC order on Wednesday. I got all the caps I had ordered except for 2. I wanted to order some different caps for the values I didn't get so I sent them an email through their chat box on the website - I had 2 different people reply to my chat and it was cc'd to 3 people from their end. I placed my order yesterday and it shipped today. I will say that I am dealing with the Canadian branch of the company so maybe they are not as busy and can reply to emails quicker🤷‍♂️
  • edited May 2020

I recieved my Mouser and PC order on Wednesday. I got all the caps I had ordered except for 2. I wanted to order some different caps for the values I didn't get so I sent them an email through their chat box on the website - I had 2 different people reply to my chat and it was cc'd to 3 people from their end. I placed my order yesterday and it shipped today. I will say that I am dealing with the Canadian branch of the company so maybe they are not as busy and can reply to emails quicker🤷‍♂️

A week later and not even a shipping notice, nor a reply to my answer to their email.  The out of stock notification email had a physical address attached to it as Burlington, Ontario.  I know things are not 'normal' right now, but PE, Mouser, Digi-key, Amazon, and ebay not only managed to get parts to me on time, they were able to communicate throughout the entire process, neither of which PartsConnexion has been able to do.  Not a happy camper right now.         
    squamishdroc
  • ABC Dipole from Music and Design.  It runs on Excel.
    ani_101
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • RS225-8 is $20 off this weekend.
  • Since the conversation seems to have moved well beyond PE's DOTD and into other areas I thought I'd share my experiences with the ESS/Heil folks in California....and it's terrible.  Since I ordered a set of their tweeters I've had a couple of simple questions.  I've emailed and called to no end (six emails and 5 calls).  My last email was last week Thursday, my last call Wednesday 5/20.  Apparently they got my $300 and are now done with me.  All I wanted were the frd and zma files on their new batch of mid-size tweeters.  When I called looking for it they said my drivers were from their new batch and would be measured with specs released to anyone who wanted them - this was in February.  Huh, apparently not.
  • Did you receive your tweeters? The price is now 170$, so this must have been quite a while back. 
  • Wow that sucks Marty.  Some audio companies seem to be a lot like the aftermarket car performance market.  I have heard many horror stories from people I know that have ordered "off the shelf" turbo kits for their late model Camaro or Mustang, sent money up front, then month after month of no kit and no response from the kit manufacturer.
  • Ani, they were on sale for $145 back in February, which is when I purchased them.  
  • Sorry Marty, that's too bad. I was going to get a few, someday... Did they tell you what the holdup is?
  • edited May 2020
    Perhaps they are having COVID related supply chain issues or, worse yet, personnel health impacts. Or, maybe they are just having trouble keeping up with demand.  Still, communication would go a long way to address any such issues.

I've considered purchasing a pair of the large tweeters. Another reason not to do so, I guess.  Instead, I'm thinking about using the AC AST2560 dipole with waveguides on the front and back.  I might have to make the waveguides though.
  • edited May 2020
    PaulEbert said:
    Still, communication would go a long way to address any such issues.

I've considered purchasing a pair of the large tweeters. Another reason not to do so, I guess.  Instead, I'm thinking about using the AC AST2560 dipole with waveguides on the front and back.  I might have to make the waveguides though.
    Definitely communication goes a long way. Most retailers/companies are having issues - it's how they handle it and communicate differentiates them.

Paul, the large AST is also in my consideration - but it is more expensive than the Heil and doesn't go as low. Distortion is supposed to be really good and somehow seems to be a better implemented than other AMT's such as the daytons.

If oyu come up with the waveguide would you kindly let me know or what design parameters you are using?
  • another question on the waveguides / horn. for dipole, do we need the waveguide on both the front and the back? The design Dan N had done had both waveguide on the front and back - i forget what the speaker was or the driver, but it was a rectangular ribbon/AMT.

I have seen some implementation that just had the waveguide in the front and nothing on the back and also a mild horn loaded compression driver with a open back - of course not much details or measurements of what is what - hence asking.
  • Yes- the Segues that Dan built had a dipolar waveguided 2560.

Dave Pellegrene also did a dual-flared design with the 2560 and the B&C 8" in dipolar mode. With the dipolar sub added, that was a great sounding system!
    ani_101
  • edited May 2020
    @Wolf do you or anybody have a link for that system? Or at least a name so can search for it...
  • Either, both....! Though I have only seen Dan's I think. 

If I am not mistaken, the waveguide in Dans speakers were made by Dave...
  • edited May 2020
    photo 51,52 as well.
    ani_101
  • ani_101 said:
    another question on the waveguides / horn. for dipole, do we need the waveguide on both the front and the back? The design Dan N had done had both waveguide on the front and back - i forget what the speaker was or the driver, but it was a rectangular ribbon/AMT.

I have seen some implementation that just had the waveguide in the front and nothing on the back and also a mild horn loaded compression driver with a open back - of course not much details or measurements of what is what - hence asking.
    Need? No, not at all, it'll still make sound regardless ;). The thing to keep in mind is that with a waveguide only on one side the response pattern will not be completely symmetrical from front and back sides. Not a huge deal breaker, obviously you're not going to get the same response pattern from the back side of a midwoofer either.  I use a AMTPRO-4 in a dipole arrangement, and even then the small lip on the backside affects the response in the high end. The AMTPRO is supplied with 2 sheets of 1/4" felt for the back side so you can try different amounts of damping of the back wave. I settled on 1 layer myself. It all comes down to balance of the response tuning for your preference and room interaction/placement.

ani_101
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • The larger the separation distance via baffles or horns, the lower the dipole null.  Above the dipole null the polar pattern breaks down.  Not much of an issue on axis, but you can have drop outs off axis.
    ani_101
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • ani_101 said:
    Definitely communication goes a long way. Most retailers/companies are having issues - it's how they handle it and communicate differentiates them.

Paul, the large AST is also in my consideration - but it is more expensive than the Heil and doesn't go as low. Distortion is supposed to be really good and somehow seems to be a better implemented than other AMT's such as the daytons.

If oyu come up with the waveguide would you kindly let me know or what design parameters you are using?
    I'll be happy to share any information, if I go that route. I'm still looking into options.  The AST2560 also seems to have a better (flatter) FR.  If I decide to purchase a pair of PTT4.0s then I won't need the waveguides for the AC. But, that combo will be very expensive.
    If I do go with the AST2560 and waveguides, I'll make them identical front and back.
    I wish I had purchased a pair of the AST2560s when they were recently on sale, but I told myself I could wait for the tent sale.  Oh well, just got to be patient.
  • You know the Tent Sale is cancelled this year, right? Jill just sent out an e-mail about the SpDesignComp hopefully being rescheduled for later this year, but that the rest is nixed.
  • Yes, I do know that. So, I might have to wait for Black Friday. I can live with that because my current project is a turntable for my son.
  • Nice deal today!
    jhollanderScottSani_101PWRRYD
    I have a signature.
  • You aren't kidding.  One would have to run a lot of current through it to get it to light up and satisfy Craig's DOTD requirements.
    jr@macPWRRYD
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • Ah shit, pair headed my way. 
    I have a signature.