Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Sales, deals, and steals - formerly known as the "PE DOTD" thread.

Comments

• Wolf said:
    Just don't look at the Jantzen Amber line...
    Wow - $200cdn for a 2,2uf!
  • No DOTD today.
  • PWRRYD said:
    No DOTD today.

You probably missed it since it doesn't light up.

• Placed an order last night just now read this.  Timing ...
  • Turn2 said:
    PWRRYD said:
    No DOTD today.

You probably missed it since it doesn't light up.

Ah, I can see it now.  No interest in those what so ever.
  • edited May 2020
    A day later and no shipment notification, tracking #, nuttin from parts connexion.  Mouser upgraded shipping to 2 day air to get resistors to me on time.  The order was only $45.  They did it of their own accord and it's doubtful they many a penny on that transaction.     
  • Hey Craig, there's a pretty impressive light strip kit up on DOTD today!  Act now, before they're gone.
    jr@mac
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • Soon as I get home the first thing I'm gonna do is punch your mama in the mouth....
    jr@mac6thplanet
  • Mama grew up on a farm and has the strength to show for it.  I'm not sure she'd be having it.
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • Idunno junior, she's gettin punched
  • 6thplanetPWRRYD
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • edited May 2020
    Here is some info on today's DOTD:

Fun channel. 
    rjj45
    I have a signature.
  • I've been looking at BT amps, the dta 2.1 looks interesting, but this one has been in the market for a while. 
    ohitsuTodd
  • Little net searching of the Lepai board shown on the video says the fxAudio fx1602sPro uses the TDA7498E.  Wasn't one of these chips supposed to be better than the other?  
  • squamishdroc said:
    Kornbread said:
    What's the word on PartsConnexion?  Their prices, at least on capacitors, are much better than PE.  Their Jantzen superior 2.2uf are $13 while PE is $21.  Their silvers are $3 cheaper than PE's superior.  Shipping's not bad either.       
    I ordered a bunch of caps last week that showed in stock on the website - promptly got an email saying everything I ordered was 8 - 10 weeks out. So I just canceled the order but only got 1/3 of my money back and then the next day get an email from Canada Post saying my package from them is on the way🤷‍♂️ - I'm interested to see what I get  =)
    Have you received your order yet?  Just now got an email saying they were out of a .15uf crosscap and wanted to know if they could sub something. 
    I didn't even order a crosscap.
    Not feeling the love.   

• Man, if someone wanted to try out OB bass...  the DOTD would certainly get it done! 

Sd = 1225 cm^2 and Xmax = 9.6 mm
  • Would this be better than the alpha 15's?
  • No comparison. 

Alpha-15A:  Vd = 856.3 x 0.38 = 325 cc

Peerless 18:  Vd = 1125 x 0.94 = 1152 cc

That's 350% more displaced volume for a few dollars less (sale price)   B)
  • Must resist....
  • Me too..... Do not go over to the DOTD side
  • Displacement wise, no comparison, as the Peerless can move almost 4 times the air. 

The reason I am asking is the alpha 15 is usually the goto for OB bass and I happen to have them on hand.

so other factors come in play, I like the SD, the XMAX in a home setting is not that critical as the alpha 15 's xmax is plenty for standard sized room.

What i would like to consider (and resist) is the FS. The FS of the alpha 15 is 40 and the FS of the Peerless is 30. Would that be a factor as in how low the woofers can go in OB? going U frame or H frame allows for a little bit extension below FS, but if OB are FS limited, then the peerless is definitely more desirable compared to the alpha 15's.

The other question is the QTS. for OB generally >0.5 is preferred with higher the better and hre the apha handily beats the peerless's 0,58 QTS with 1.26

I don't know much about OB modelling and behavior to factor anything else. 
  • Swept volume is the critical spec on OB. Qts is also important, but nobody runs a 4" Goldwood bass bin OB style unless they buy 100 of them. 

As far as extension goes, you may have to apply some EQ regardless so again - swept volume becomes more critical. Toss in the large coil and extremely high power handling of the Peerless and you can solve any problem with watts and EQ. This is a winner for that type of alignment. Throw a couple cheap Behringer iNuke with DSP at the quad, high pass it at 30Hz and EQ to flat above there and hope your breakers hold out. 

ani_101BrannigansLaw
    I have a signature.
  • FS didn't seem to be a problem with the IB385 in an ib setup.  Don't recall having to notch it or anything.  Is this different with OB?    
  • EQ, active all good.... so if the swept volume is the most critical aspect, then the peerless is definitely great especially at this price.
  • Kornbread said:
    FS didn't seem to be a problem with the IB385 in an ib setup.  Don't recall having to notch it or anything.  Is this different with OB?    
      What I meant to say is I didn't have to notch the fs but due to location and a host of other things, it took quite a bit of eq'ing to flatten the overall response.   
  • The whole "high Qts" thing is only important if you are going to cross OB woofers passively with no EQ.  Swept volume is always king.
    ani_101
  • Throw lots of pro watts - check
    EQ the heck above 30hz to flat - check
    High-pass above 30hz - check

How high can this be crossed to a mid in OB? (meaning how big of a mid is required and how much power does it need to handle?) to keep up with JR's monster OB bass scenario?
  • If you want constant directivity, crossing near or below the first dipole null, my guess is you will end up with a 4-way with a high and low mid. Probably a 8 inch and 4 inch mid, cross at 200, 1,000, and 3,000.  Wide flat baffle you might get higher.
    ani_101
  • Nope, I was wrong depending what the FR looks like can cross up to 911 Hz on a 24 inch flat baffle

• Thanks John. what software is this?