Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Sales, deals, and steals - formerly known as the "PE DOTD" thread.

Comments

• @4thtry are you planning to make a mini array with these?

• Got one of those 'can you help a customer out' emails from PE. Customer wants to know if the xt19td 3/4" ring radiator is going the way of the Dodo. Then checked with PE and it is on clearance for $26???. Anyhow, this one going away also? I kind of liked it.

• And..... another flashlight!

6thplanetTurn2
  • @ani_101 said:
    @4thtry are you planning to make a mini array with these?

No. I have two projects in the works. They will be WMTMW's or WTMMW's. I started a new thread asking about the pros and cons. Thanks.

• edited July 2020

@Kornbread said:
    Sent Erich a message about the dented Wavecors and he responded in ~1 hour offering a full refund including s&h.  I'm thinking they should be fine and Erich is a pretty solid dude.  He might have to keep an eye on his sister's packing skills though.            

Out of the blue a refund shows up on PayPal. Eric, from diysoundgroup, sent a refund for the one dented tweeter. After he had initially replied I told him the dome popped back out and everything was fine and yet he still sends a refund.

From Nigerian scammers to online identity thieves, it seems we are constantly bombarded by someone wanting to separate us from our money. It's not too often that someone holds themselves to a higher standard, so I have to give a shout-out to Erich at https://diysoundgroup.com/ Class act.

BrannigansLawe6zionjhollanderPWRRYDani_101rjj45
  • And..... yet another flashlight!

• @PWRRYD said:
    And..... yet another flashlight!

Would you say you've found the recent deal... illuminating? :p

kenrhodes
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • At least it's not a flashlight.

• Cheaper than the 4" buyout for a line array.

• @Kornbread said:
    Cheaper than the 4" buyout for a line array.

I was sort of thinking the same thing Kornbread. Maybe 12 per side... maybe open baffle... maybe not :)

• That GRS 4" is kind of a turd, there are some rough cut diamonds in that lineup - the 4" ain't one of them.

Now, the 4.5" Pioneer knockoff is pretty stellar.

I have a signature.
  • I need to get the line array though out of my mind. Have enough drivers and half-finished projects as it is.

rjj45
  • The spikes at the top end maybe be my old amplifier/ dvd player. 2nd and third order. GRS4 PF

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Normally red is second order. If red is not third, I also see a turd.

• edited August 2020

Third is red as I recall

• 2nd through 5th

• I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • Thanks dcibel 2nd is red. more of my crs....

• Here I thought maybe you could make them the color you wanted.... Been ahile since I've had Omnimic opened...

• @Wolf said:
    Here I thought maybe you could make them the color you wanted.... Been ahile since I've had Omnimic opened...

You can tell that purple is 3rd order, since it ends around 7K, 1/3 of 20K

JasonP
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • I don't usually think about it that way, but you are correct. Good call!

• It would be real interesting to compare that Wavecor 7 inch with the Rival 176 woofers. But I would need more time and money than available at present.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • I think the DOTD would make a great lower mid in a large system, but the T/S parameters are pretty wonky for dedicated bass duty. Getting it to play 40-50Hz will take a double hit in sensitivity in the bass range with baffle step losses coupled with the tuning necessary to get to that range. On top of that, the weird tuning will kick in well below baffle step, creating two shelves in the response to deal with. A large, high gauge coil could help somewhat, but still.

JasonPohitsuTodd
    I have a signature.
  • @jr@mac said:
    I think the DOTD would make a great lower mid in a large system, but the T/S parameters are pretty wonky for dedicated bass duty. Getting it to play 40-50Hz will take a double hit in sensitivity in the bass range with baffle step losses coupled with the tuning necessary to get to that range. On top of that, the weird tuning will kick in well below baffle step, creating two shelves in the response to deal with. A large, high gauge coil could help somewhat, but still.

I think you nailed it. This would be a killer mid. Sensitivity is good and Vance's Test Bench review of this driver showed the lowest distortion of just about anything I've seen him do from 200-2000Hz.

JasonP
  • edited August 2020

Tests here show this midwoofer to have similar distortion performance to Scan Revelator minus the benefits that the slit cone on the revelator provides.

https://hificompass.com/en/speakers/measurements/wavecor/wavecor-wf182bd03

Parameters are usable, not bad in a relatively small cabinet.

JasonP
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • Anybody got the 5 off 50 code?

• @6thplanet said:
    Anybody got the 5 off 50 code?

AUG20

6thplanet
  • edited August 2020

Another quad arrives. Couldn't resist. Have to decide what to mate these with.

JasonPjhollanderjoeybuttsrjj45ceiolsquamishdrocR-Carpenter