Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Sales, deals, and steals - formerly known as the "PE DOTD" thread.

Comments

• Tempting.

Ron

• Indeed, as a fellow planar tweeter fan.

Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • That looks like the driver from my old Logitech speakers I had in my teenage years. Lots of bass for the size, I had problems with it yanking the voice coil leads right off the terminals...

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • I'm an idiot, so I bought a pair of the TB.

I have a signature.
  • ...I may have sound bar/tv stand plans.

I have a signature.
  • I mean, I have some Dayton 4" coaxial floating around.

Hey, it looks like Dayton killed the 5" coaxial. Lame.

I have a signature.
  • Wow, that's a new development....

• Missed the TB. How much was it going for on DoD?

• Ani, are you doing okay? Not like you to miss an opportunity to acquire more drivers. :)

IIRC, it was about $47. When I did the Zirconiums, it was at $50.

The TB is a good driver, but at the current $60 price, I can't see a good reason to go with it over the Anarchy.

Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • The Anarchy seems more out of stock than in... But yes the Anarchy is good. In the 5" one the TB still holds an advantage especially at 4 units, but then it's 8 ohm or 2 ohms with low sensitivity...

• Modern class D amps will handle 2 ohms all day. I wish the very few distributors of DIY plate amps would get with the program and release 2ohm stable plate amps. For the most part, availability is limited to 30 year old concepts consisting of 50 year old tech. Time to let AB die a death.

I have a signature.
  • The MiniDSP plate amps are pretty amazing - Class D, 2 ohm stable, and with integrated ethernet connected DSP lets you plug the amp into your network and tweak the EQ from a phone app on your couch over the wifi. Not a "budget" solution though.

• @dcibel said:
    The MiniDSP plate amps are pretty amazing - Class D, 2 ohm stable, and with integrated ethernet connected DSP lets you plug the amp into your network and tweak the EQ from a phone app on your couch over the wifi. Not a "budget" solution though.

That's kind of what I'm driving at - the tech is already at commodity level and proven. MiniDSP, ICE, are out there enjoying traditional manufacturers reluctance to move forward.

Guess I'll buy some modules and put my money where my big mouth is 😁

I have a signature.
  • There are the Hypex FUSIONAMP plates as well.

• Yes, the Fusion plates are real nice, I wouldn't waste that ncore amp on a subwoofer. I do want to upgrade my Bamboozled project with a pair of FA123 for full 3-way active DSP setup, but it's expensive...Nice to see a 3 way DSP plate amp though.

I'm currently using the older AS2.100D, and like it a lot, but the MiniDSP software is nicer. MiniDSP will make changes to the DSP on the fly, and the ethernet connection on the plate amps is a big convenience bonus. With Hypex you have to push a button to send the settings to the unit. One great thing on the AS2.100D is that it has 3 channel capability on the DSP and a sub out, so you can run a 3-way active setup with an external amp for the low end.

• Newark seems to always have half the Dynavox collection on sale, but I don't remember these being on sale very often.
    https://www.newark.com/dynavox/55-5500/5-25-midbass-woofer-60-watt-8/dp/78Y7660
    Someone had used these in a speaker at one of the events, but I can't remember who it was or much about the speakers. They actually look pretty bad on paper - low Xmax and a high Le which seems to show up in a tilted down FR - but I like the look and the price is right. Not to mention, the 6.5" driver looks like a dud on paper as well and then performs admirably. Anyone have any experience with this driver?

• I used the 6.5" truncated poly version (lightly used at a killer price!) with the XT25 and thought they sounded pretty decent. I had that design at Iowa DIY in 2018. Yeah, the x-max spec is very conservative and at their regular price they wouldn't be my first choice. But those 5.25" for $13 - might make a nice mid in something similar to Paul Carmody's Aethers or even some budget HT speakers if used with a sub.

• Uh, no, according to what Chuck and Geoff said about them, they really should be used as woofers. I've not even seen a 6.5" version of the trunky-5. That exists?

• edited September 2020

@Wolf said:
    Uh, no, according to what Chuck and Geoff said about them, they really should be used as woofers. I've not even seen a 6.5" version of the trunky-5. That exists?

No, I just meant the 6.5" Dynavox doesn't look that great on paper, but it actually performs quite well. I know this particular 5" driver is a completely different animal, but I'm wondering if it too could be a hidden gem. It's a nice looking driver for $23 and at $13, a truncated tweeter MTM would be a snack. If it's any good in that application... I'm thinking it's not ☹
    According to Chuck and Geoff it needs a dedicated mid?

• @Tom_S said:
    I used the 6.5" truncated poly version (lightly used at a killer price!) with the XT25 and thought they sounded pretty decent. I had that design at Iowa DIY in 2018. Yeah, the x-max spec is very conservative and at their regular price they wouldn't be my first choice. But those 5.25" for $13 - might make a nice mid in something similar to Paul Carmody's Aethers or even some budget HT speakers if used with a sub.

Are these the ones I sold you Tom?

• That's what They told me about 5 years ago when Jeff was still at MCM.

• @PWRRYD said:

Are these the ones I sold you Tom?

Those are them! A steal of a deal, to say the least. Thanks again!!

Wolf - Yes, mine are the 6.5" versions. But I've wondered if those squared-off 5.25" might be a nice value leader at only $13.36 right now at Newark. $23.50 at PE - up from around $20 not long ago. Probably won't win any awards for the distortion plot, but what can you expect at that price? But it might be tough to beat the old Peerless 830656 at only $16.

• Wow Tom! How weird... I just ordered a pair of 830656 this morning for the mids in a very cost effective 3 way design. Guess the 8" woofers ;)

• I'm guessing the ones we measured in Ankeny? I'll even take a stab at what tweeter you're using - the DX20?

• edited September 2020

Great guess Tom... Yes, those MCM 8" we measured in Ankeny (55-5670). Awesome woofers at their regular price in my opinion.
    Your guess for the tweeters, while not what I'm using, would probably work very well and what a great price! I'm using the Peerless DA25BG08-06 I have on my shelf. They are $26.50 regular price, I bought a few pair when they were on sale for $15 each. I used one pair in my "Industrials Redux" that nobody has heard yet (thanks to Covid 19). I really liked them.

• HiVi LK8A 8" Sandwich Cone Woofer $99, the DMA are on sale, Wavecor tw030wa01 $25, TB coax $115, w4 $35

• Oh yeah, forgot the flashlights ...

• LK8A is tempting...

• I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.