Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Sales, deals, and steals - formerly known as the "PE DOTD" thread.

Comments

• HiVi F6?

• Sure- the F6 would work with it, and be a broad overlap between drivers to the point that LR2 is likely possible.

• I have not heard much about the prestige line.... In the next tier 80$ range, i guess SB takes the cake, lots of good solid performers... i don't see a reason to go over the 80-100 mark unless it's a exotic build or looking for something in particular...

the KB range also looks like a good cost per performer, but i haven't tried it and don't know how high the 8" can extend or if it's pure 3 way driver only.

• The Seas CA line are very smooth and easy drivers. Nick used them in his faceted torsion-box 2-ways last year. cjd's Nebbiolo had CA18 woofers.

I absolutely loathe the L line, and the HD signature might be one of the reasons why. Breakup is nasty on these too.

I have a set of U18 to use in the future, and those sounded GREAT in the Malbecs Maynard did about 8 years ago. The U16 is also no slouch. I have a set of the FR10RB-8 as well. I've not heard the 8".

I think the lack of use of the Prestige woofers currently is due to higher prices than they used to be for not a lot more benefit, and that they have been used a lot in the past by many builders.

• I'd put the Dynavox LW6004PMR high on my list of great performing drivers in the 40-60 range (it sits right in the middle at 50). Haven't used it yet myself, but it has sounded great each time I've heard it.

= Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • Agreed! Those Dynavox are underrated for sure.

• edited August 2020

Looks like the LW6004PMR are NLA instead the Dynavox LW6004PMR-N and NC are currently available

What is the difference - I recall Ben mentioning something about one version or the pother being good.

https://www.parts-express.com/dynavox-lw6004pmr-nc-6-1-2-truncated-frame-woofer--295-622

• Ani, I can't imagine you needing to buy any woofers.

hifisideBryan@MACTurn2
  • @ani_101 said:
    Looks like the LW6004PMR are NLA instead the Dynavox LW6004PMR-N and NC are currently available

What is the difference - I recall Ben mentioning something about one version or the pother being good.

https://www.parts-express.com/dynavox-lw6004pmr-nc-6-1-2-truncated-frame-woofer--295-622

It appears to be just a cast frame instead of the old adjust-a-basket or whatever it was called. This dropped the price from $88 to $50 and performance is identical. It's a unique driver and also high on my list.

• I'd look at the Meniscus Eclipse 7" driver too. The standard version is a little over budget at $70, but seems well worth it. Last I checked though, they had an accidental high Qts run available for $40 that would achieve a nice low F3 in a sealed cab at the expense of efficiency.

• Throwing an odd ball out there. Anyone used the Visaton w200s?

• edited August 2020

A classic and one of my favs at any price, still very high value today.
    :)

https://solen.ca/products/speakers/home-speakers/woofers/peerless-e180wr33p08-830883-18cm-nomex-cone-woofer/

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • @dcibel said:
    A classic and one of my favs at any price, still very high value today.
    :)

https://solen.ca/products/speakers/home-speakers/woofers/peerless-e180wr33p08-830883-18cm-nomex-cone-woofer/

I have a pair and agree!

• Is this significantly different than the regular truncated frame 6" nomex? I thought this was more of a cosmetic difference as this seems to the odd one out with the silver frame and phase plug.

• @ani_101 said:
    Is this significantly different than the regular truncated frame 6" nomex? I thought this was more of a cosmetic difference as this seems to the odd one out with the silver frame and phase plug.

It has more copper in the motor, probably "the best" of the Peerless HDS as measured by many.

= Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • Indeed, the motor is much improved, it's not just cosmetic difference, the "exclusive" line were the top end of Peerless back in the day, there was an 8" and a 4" as well, but today the 6.5" is the only one that remains. I've a feeling they won't last much longer either, so get a pair while you still can!

ani_101
  • Is this buyout mid any good? I'm looking for something to mate with a Peerless 10" NE265W-08 and Viawave SRT-7.

https://parts-express.com/scan-speak-m11mh-27-4-1-2-paper-cone-midrange-4-ohm--299-716

Ron

• looks like PE actually measured that buyout. Graph looks nice

rjj45
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • The only issue that might concern me is the blip in the response (frequency and impedance) right around 1 KHz which could be a cone-edge resonance. On the other hand that's not unique and other drivers (e.g. Seas U16RCY/P) exhibit the same thing. Would be informative to a harmonic distortion plot. Otherwise it looks very nice. Note: this opinion is worth the paper its not printed on. :)

• You could be really daring - consider the Dynavox LY302F. Measurements look very promising. I have to admit - it's downright ugly! It's been on my radar for a while now, but I just can't justify buying any more drivers until I clear some space on the shelf.

• I have a pair of LY302F's sitting here, that I am going to run full range, I just haven't had the time to build the boxes.

• No Xmax on that one to really speak of, but upper range is really good.

• The M11 is a good driver, it's properly a Vifa M11, I don't believe these ever sold under the Scan-Speak branding, anyway, while the response looks great, it doesn't have quite the motor quality of the Vifa NE.

I don't think the LY302F looks ugly apart from the whizzer cone. I saw some measurements of it recently, Facebook maybe, and it tested well but I'd still pick Vifa TC9/TG9 over it for a small full range.

rjj45
  • Looks great on paper and I have liked every other SB driver I've heard.

• edited August 2020

I fine choice, also keep in mind that SB will be coming out with a 5" version of their carbon fibre cone driver in December if you can wait that long:

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-5-woofers/sb-acoustics-sb15crc30-8-5-woven-carbon-fiber-cone-woofer-8-ohm/

No price at Madisound but Solen has them listed for CAD$132 (USD$100), a bit pricey but then you have some time to save up for them :)

• I did not like the 7" when I heard it, but that could have been implementation.

• Why is every aluminum basket SB driver from 3" to 5" $50 (excluding ceramic/kevlar). Its strange to have the same pricepoint because if im paying the same amount i would rather have the larger driver.

JasonPrjj45
  • I like those. I've got 3 waiting for a project.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails