Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Sales, deals, and steals - formerly known as the "PE DOTD" thread.

Comments

• They came in the box, with stuff foam cut outs. It's similar packaging for wavecor drivers.

• edited July 2020
    But this is the retail packaging. Wholesale or OEM can be just wrapped in brown paper...
    I have received all sorts, but usually they are not proud of the frame.

But usually Erich's packaging is pretty good. Maybe inform him that there is an issue with this sort of packing without standoffs. 

This is for the BMR, but sure if this is how it comes, it was not even DOTD from PE. Once I open it there's no going back. There is no NIB, as there is no box.

• I'm gonna try to chill on buys for now. storage shelves are once again full (and much more). I've got pairs of Airborne 5002, 4001, CSS LD22, XT25, and 2 pairs of wavecor tweeters. That's about 3 years of builds for me... 
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • edited July 2020
    Was just poking ya' Don.  Got the same problem here.
    I need to stop buying and start finishing what's already started and in no way do I need to add a bunch of line array drivers to the list ... um ... pile.  
    ani, started to contact Erich but backed out after seeing the tweeters should be ok. 
    That's the way pe ships a lot of drivers and some of them have arrived damaged because they slid out of the cardboard wrapper and/or took a good hit.           

• If you are talking about hits, try this....

• Ani- I see a Revelator woofer there. You've been holding out on us with your builds? Come on- SPILL IT!
  • edited July 2020
    Did the odd 7 screws give it away? 
    Not holding out, it just isn't my build. Got them for an incredible deal, which I couldn't justify not getting, usually it's the other way around.

It sound good enough, so haven't measured or tweaked it. Set it up to see if it was working, haven't moved it after that. Package included the towers, center and two  AB mono blocks.

dcibel6thplanet
  • Oh- you bought THAT pair! Good going, as those are really nice drivers! I remember seeing them for sale, but was too rich for my blood.
  • They were local, and 1500 for a new pair of Raal OR heavily built towers, center and amps. Still too rich, but I wasn't attending any events this year....

Good thing they were local too, I could barely get them inside and literally slid them down the stairs to the basement, even though the towers are two pieces.
  • AB monoblocks? 
  • Class A/B I'm guessing. 
    I have a signature.
  • They were local, and 1500 for a new pair of Raal OR heavily built towers, center and amps. Still too rich, but I wasn't attending any events this year....

Good thing they were local too, I could barely get them inside and literally slid them down the stairs to the basement.
  • jr@mac said:
    Class A/B I'm guessing. 
    Yes, class A/B 300watt monoblock amps.
    rjj45
  • Not regarding the DOTD but has anyone else been experiencing issues with PE orders lately???  Second time in just a month or so happened again today.  One of my line items was 4 Audyn Q4 10 uF caps.  I was shipped 4 Audyn Q4 0.56 uF caps.  I know customer service will make it right... but I placed this order mid last week.  Now I'm not sure if I will even receive the correct parts before this weekend!
  • Sent Erich a message about the dented Wavecors and he responded in ~1 hour offering a full refund including s&h.  I'm thinking they should be fine and Erich is a pretty solid dude.  He might have to keep an eye on his sister's packing skills though.            
    ani_101
  • yes, pretty heavy and substantial stuff.... looks impressive, but do not know if it actually makes a difference....

what are the alternatives?

• these are 2" thick walls and then the 1.25" sonic barrier stuff. The interior walls are covers in a spray on rubber film for making it air tight and then the sonic barrier.

• attachments are not working, so click on the thumbnail to open image....

• Finally an interesting DOTD. Has anyone worked with or heard the W4-1052SD?

• Never used it, but ancient tests of questionable value look good IMO: zaphaudio.com/smalltest/compare.html

= Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • @PWRRYD said:
    Finally an interesting DOTD. Has anyone worked with or heard the W4-1052SD?

I long time ago Rory did a fullrange speaker called the Whetstones with those. The crossover lists the W4-1052SA, but the writeup states the W4-1052SD so I'm not sure which version he actually used.

htthttps://sites.google.com/site/taterworksaudio/whetstonesp://

• @JasonP said:
    Never used it, but ancient tests of questionable value look good IMO: zaphaudio.com/smalltest/compare.html

That cone looks fugly to me, but tests well. FWIW the regular price was $28 back when Zaph tested it.

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • That is a great full-range driver! I've heard it several times via the Whetstones, a set of Cain&Cain (contour network) clones Chris McCorvey did back around 2005, and maybe one other. I know Matt Vach was also messing with a set. Rory used the SA, as far as I know, but interestingly, the Neo version was cheaper last I checked via regular price. The cone is like that for structural reinforcement, as well as breakup mode reduction, as it is a VERY thin polypropylene. I think it is an underrated driver, and often overlooked.

ohitsuTodd
  • @ani_101 said:
    But this is the retail packaging. Wholesale or OEM can be just wrapped in brown paper...
    I have received all sorts, but usually they are not proud of the frame.

But usually Erich's packaging is pretty good. Maybe inform him that there is an issue with this sort of packing without standoffs. 

This is for the BMR, but sure if this is how it comes, it was not even DOTD from PE. Once I open it there's no going back. There is no NIB, as there is no box.
    (Image)

Ani,

If you buy six or more, they send them in a custom molded plastic "6 pack" container (see pics). The OEM probably ships them to PE in cartons filled with multiple plastic "6 packs" If you only order 2, then PE ships them in a cardboard wrap. I've received them both ways. Nice little drivers, great sound and easy to design around. They measure very flat on axis and have horizontal polars almost as wide and smooth as many high quality tweeters. Can't beat these little buggers for only 18 bucks a pop. I've used them in my Plumber's Delight and Totally Flat speakers with good success. I bought 8 more recently with plans for two new builds.

Bill

ani_101rjj45