Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Sales, deals, and steals - formerly known as the "PE DOTD" thread.

Comments

• I bought a pair too. Still sitting in the box while I finish other designs in progress. That large face plate (4.53") has me thinking 8" woofers.

• @Ed_Perkins said:
    I bought a pair too. Still sitting in the box while I finish other designs in progress. That large face plate (4.53") has me thinking 8" woofers.

Waiting on @Gowa to snag more 8¾" Rivals.

• What do you guys think about this deal? I don't have time to model it today, but looks promising for a high efficiency TM or TMM.
    https://parts-express.com/peerless-by-tymphany-fsl-1020r02-08-professional-10-woofer-driver-8-ohm--264-1408

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • I'm not sure it would work out well for a 2-way: F3 of 77 Hz in vented 1 ft3 (per PE) and 2.3 mm Xmax. Plus, due to its size, it would be hard to mate with a tweeter that can go low enough so you don't end up with a dispersion mis-match at the crossover. Perhaps a robust tweeter in a large waveguide (e.g. SEOS-10 or SEOS-12) plus a sub or two for the low end. That would certainly give you a high efficiency system. Or as a mid in a 3-way.

• That driver is designed for exactly that alignment (with an aggressive low cut filter) to serve as an anchor to an affordable stage monitor, or possibly even as part of a top sitting on a 15-18" bass bin. Pair it with a compression driver and 12" horn, and a XO of 1000hz is easy enough. I wouldn't personally try to fit it into a home HiFi application.

rjj45
    I have a signature.
  • @ani_101 said:
    OB mid?

Yeah, it probably would have worked for that (high Qts) , but I do not have the proper room for an OB setup.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Sweet! Thanks JR. Ordered 10 @ 21.60.

• @hifiside said:
    Sweet! Thanks JR. Ordered 10 @ 21.60.

What ya got planned for em?

• I'd love to see an honest, blind listening comparison between that Tymphany and this ScanSpeak: https://madisoundspeakerstore.com/scanspeak-soft-dome-tweeters/scanspeak-discovery-d2604/833000-1-dome-tweeter/

Clearly two versions of the same overall design, one has FF, one does not, one has a superior xmax (and lower sensitivity), etc. etc.

= Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • That would be interesting. Fs is actually lower on the Vifa?

• Forget about the opinions of blind people, send one of each to Erin and get some real data!

rjj45Silver1omoThumperTom
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.

• I use them to much. For under $10 and it’s frame size It’s a great driver.

joeybutts
  • My pair of DX25BG60 register at a Zmax of about 20 ohms, so this tells me the Tymphany/Peerless to not have F/F.

• @Wolf said:
    My pair of DX25BG60 register at a Zmax of about 20 ohms, so this tells me the Tymphany/Peerless to not have F/F.

What’s F/F ?

• ferrofluid

hifiside
  • @Wolf said:
    My pair of DX25BG60 register at a Zmax of about 20 ohms, so this tells me the Tymphany/Peerless to not have F/F.

That's interesting! The spec sheet from Tymphany shows aomething like 14 ohms, and yes I got the idea it had FF from the very suppressed looking Z curve shape. So I was wrong!

= Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • Maybe not. This is on the Madisound page JR linked above.

• It is not my experience that tweeters with F/F have Zmax as high as 20 ohms, but I suppose it is possible.

• Those arrived fast!

• Madisound is a great company to deal with. I always get my standard shipped packages the next day. Too bad they don't offer free shipping like PE.

• @PWRRYD said:
    Madisound is a great company to deal with. I always get my standard shipped packages the next day. Too bad they don't offer free shipping like PE.

I got free shipping.

• free shipping over 100$

hifiside
  • Cool! I didn't know that.

• Now what would be a good quality low cost woofer 6-8" woofer in the 40-60$ range for this tweeter? no frills but gets the work done without any objection? something that's better than the RS line and widely available....

• For $68 I'd use the Peerless by Tymphany 830869.

ani_101rjj45ThumperTom
  • IMO in that price range, there is not a lot of variability in driver quality. Take your pick of 6-8" woofers and run with it.

The Tymphany will cross fairly low, so 8" is likely a possibility. I guess I would give the Peerless mentioned a try, or 8" aluminum designer from Dayton.

In the 6-7" range, there are even fewer drivers that standout on cost/performance ratio in this price range. A safe bet is SB, but the Seas Prestige is an overlooked driver in the DIY world that sounds just fine.

ani_101
    I have a signature.