Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

2019 New Build

Comments

•    jhollander said:
    You do have a signature shape...

Bearded and stocky!? =)
  • Ha! That's awesome ๐Ÿ˜
  • Very anxious to see those finished. Beautiful veneer.
  • Did some cutting after work today. Relieved the enclosures of their corners to make room for the Wenge inlay trim.

jhollanderTurn2GowaNicholas_234thtry
  • Bet it looks better live. Pretty nice in the photo.
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • Nice color combo
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Thanks, that's kinda what I was going for. I like to use the wood species to create the tone of the build.
  • Started installation of the corner trim...

Nicholas_23
  • One down, 3/4 of one to go...

GowaPWRRYD4thtry
  • Yep. Wenge can be extremely irritating. Not so much a sensitizer like rosewoods and such, but _very_ _extremely_ painful splinters, maybe the worst I've ever experienced. I recall many tiny, almost microscopic, splinters that hurt badly and looked like they were infected within just moments (can still recall the pain some 35 plus years later).  And the dust does a number on the mucous membranes for certain.
    Otherwise it's a wonderfully beautiful wood and quite benign when fully worked and finished. :anguished:

Wolf said:
    Another note on Wenge- It's a strong skin irritant, and I would recommend a respirator. If at all possible, avoid getting splinters in your fingers. My uncle works for a cabinet maker, and he is very opposed to working with Wenge.

powered by beer
  • edited April 2019

powered by beer
  • Hi Tom.  Good to see you around here again.
  • After Johns mention on how bad that stuff is, I invested in a cartridge style respirator. So far no nasty splinters ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘
  • Always fun to pop in when I can, Craig!
    Hope all's well.
    PWRRYD said:
    Hi Tom.  Good to see you around here again.

powered by beer
  • So far no name has popped up, you guys feeling anything?
  • edited April 2019
    Balise6thplanet said:

So far no name has popped up, you guys feeling anything?
    Balise = Beacon

Balise de musique = Music Beacon

Conducteur = Condutctor

Bravo

Hourrah

Applause
  • Good food for thought, I wonder if something Saturn related is in need?
  • Moons of Saturn, it has 62 (just don't use Fenrir, ;) ): https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=wP7FXLWzCdD2swXmx66YCg&q=moons+of+saturn&btnK=Google+Search&oq=moons+of+saturn&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0l10.93.3539..4978...0.0..0.860.4951.0j1j5j5j2j0j1......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i131.-66vGnlCRQY

My pick of the moons- Epimetheus. Epimetheus as a word actually means hindsight. Being these are open-back, that makes perfect sense to me.

kennyk
  • I was pretty sure Titan was a subwoofer name somewhere already. What didn't know was that some of the Saturn model lineup was actually named after Saturn's moons. S2 for example.
  • ACI Titan is the sub I think you're remembering? It was one of the early high quality DIY subs, my teenage self used to dream of building one 
  • Not saturn related , lets go with lansat7 then. or lansat8 is up there too...... getting ready to launch L9 shortly

• Not trying to kill the thread , but do you guys have any idea what the SSD drives have to endure up there? And these drives were launched way back when
  • ACI Titan is the sub I think you're remembering? It was one of the early high quality DIY subs, my teenage self used to dream of building one 
    I just so happen to have two ACI DV12 drivers if you're interested.
    BrannigansLaw
  • Maybe SXO Titan or the other way around, Titan SXO?
  • PWRRYD said:
    ACI Titan is the sub I think you're remembering? It was one of the early high quality DIY subs, my teenage self used to dream of building one 
    I just so happen to have two ACI DV12 drivers if you're interested.
    Thanks, but I just this weekend picked up a third Rhythmik DS1200 servo kit, so I'm set for subs I think :)
    rjj45
  • Got the router set up and ready for countersinking the woofer....

Silver1omokennykR-Carpenter4thtry
  • Can't say I am a big fan of working with Wenge. It does create a good looking contrast tho.
    What are you finishing with? Wenge is very oily and can lift lacquer after a period of time.
  • Haven't got that far yet, prolly some oil finish of some sort, maybe poly??