Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Meniscus Audio / CSS DIY 2019 - Sept 20-21

edited July 2019 in Announcements
Hey guys, Mark and crew along with the dudes from CSS will jointly hold the 2019 Meniscus/CSS DIY in Grand Rapids.

The usual format - Friday evening, casual event at Meniscus HQ, Pizza and rooftop speaker toss.
Saturday, the formal event (note new hotel) with 10-min presenter time slots.

Please contact Mark @ Meniscus with questions: 
meniscusaudio@gmail.com
616-953-8471

Detailed info below:

September 20, 2019 @ 5:00 pm – 11:45 pm

Meniscus Audio
1642 Broadway Ave NW
Grand Rapids
MI 49504

https://meniscusaudio.com/event/meniscus-audio-css-diy/

September 21, 2019 @ 9:00 am – 5:00 pm

Grand River Hotel - Pier 3 Room
270 Ann St NW
Grand Rapids
MI 49504

https://meniscusaudio.com/event/meniscus-audio-css-diy-get-together-2019/

My signature goes here

Comments

• I'm looking forward to this, and shall likely attend.
    konfyoused
  • I plan to attend and bring a pair or two to demo if there is enough time.
  • Myself, Andrew, and Brad will be there 
    konfyoused
  • I am going to try to make this one too! Not sure what I'll bring, possibly an active all-css 3 way (more likely mixed, as I only have CSS tweeter and mid) but depending on busyness leading up to it, might default to my standby Modula MT. 
  • I'm planning to be there, it was great fun last year.
  • I am going to try to make this one too! Not sure what I'll bring, possibly an active all-css 3 way (more likely mixed, as I only have CSS tweeter and mid) but depending on busyness leading up to it, might default to my standby Modula MT. 
    Send us a message with what you are wanting to use for the woofer and we can cut you a discount on the pair.
    BrannigansLaw
  • i''l try to make... will likely have something to demo
  • Highly considering attending this one! Haven't been to Meniscus before.
  • cssaudio1 said:
    I am going to try to make this one too! Not sure what I'll bring, possibly an active all-css 3 way (more likely mixed, as I only have CSS tweeter and mid) but depending on busyness leading up to it, might default to my standby Modula MT. 
    Send us a message with what you are wanting to use for the woofer and we can cut you a discount on the pair.
    That is an awfully kind offer Dan. I'll get in touch; when I saw you'd be sponsoring, the idea started to crystallize in my mind.. it would be something a bit different for sure and could have an interesting theme like showcasing CSS's past/present/future or "XBL^2 from 20hz-20khz". 

Incidentally I had also thought of the idea of doing a peerless build like that, something like SLS woofer (CSX would be even better!)/NE149 mid/DA25tx   for the generation-spanning drivers. 

• Planning to attend, I'll have one or two pair of speakers.  
  • I'd like to attend both days and was wondering if Ken's "new improved demo switcher" will be available in DIY kit form?  If available, I'd like to purchase one while I am there.  Also looking to pick up a few SB acoustics 3/4" dome tweeters. 
  • I am debating flying in for this one...
    I have a signature.
  • Debate over, flight and room booked. 
    DanP
    I have a signature.
  •   I will be their and I will try to have the switcher kit ready for purchase. I have been really slow to get that to Meniscus. The switcher I built showed some flaws in the write up that I had going for Meniscus. I also have a new toy that should help me make a more complete kit for those interested.
      I'm also trying t build in some more functionality so it does more than just switch crossovers. I think this would be an amazing tool for testing different circuits live without having to build 2 crossovers. For instance: switching the L-pad on a tweeter to dial in the last 1/2db of tweeter voicing. Think your capacitor choice is to big, A/B just the capacitor in circuit so that you can hear the subtle differences that the modeling alone might not show. These are things that I know alot of people have desired to test and I hope to help make it happen.
      I really appreciate Meniscus and CSS for helping me make that idea a reality. Both parties saw how cool the idea was and help breath some life into an idea that may have never left my head if it weren't for them. Mattsk8 also deserves credit for the original idea of having multiple crossover methods shown live. Whoever else helped inspire that I thank you as well.
      This is a great community and I consider many of you friends outside of the forums and truly look forward to seeing you all there.
    DanP4thtryBrannigansLawkennyk
  • hey Ken, do you have a writeup somewhere? this looks interesting...

kenrhodes said:
      I will be their and I will try to have the switcher kit ready for purchase. I have been really slow to get that to Meniscus. The switcher I built showed some flaws in the write up that I had going for Meniscus. I also have a new toy that should help me make a more complete kit for those interested.
      I'm also trying t build in some more functionality so it does more than just switch crossovers. I think this would be an amazing tool for testing different circuits live without having to build 2 crossovers. For instance: switching the L-pad on a tweeter to dial in the last 1/2db of tweeter voicing. Think your capacitor choice is to big, A/B just the capacitor in circuit so that you can hear the subtle differences that the modeling alone might not show. These are things that I know alot of people have desired to test and I hope to help make it happen.

• Sorry Ani, not yet. I will try to get it done befor the get together.
    kennyk
  • There's a chance I can make this if things align at work.
  • kenrhodes said:
      I will be their and I will try to have the switcher kit ready for purchase. I have been really slow to get that to Meniscus. The switcher I built showed some flaws in the write up that I had going for Meniscus. I also have a new toy that should help me make a more complete kit for those interested.
      I really appreciate Meniscus and CSS for helping me make that idea a reality. Both parties saw how cool the idea was and help breath some life into an idea that may have never left my head if it weren't for them. Mattsk8 also deserves credit for the original idea of having multiple crossover methods shown live. Whoever else helped inspire that I thank you as well.
      This is a great community and I consider many of you friends outside of the forums and truly look forward to seeing you all there.

Cool.  I look forward to seeing what you come up with.
  • My room is booked!
    DanP
  • Maybe I missed it but do I need to officially register somewhere or just show up with a pair or two of speakers?
  • I'm gonna try to make this. Need a few days to finalize. I have a pair of speakers ive lost interested in designing but thats about it project wise. I wonder if it would be worth bringing them with my omnimic and dats and maybe do a diy group design collaboration? No sure how pressed for time it will be but it could be a fun collab to do.

• D1PP1N said:
    I'm gonna try to make this. Need a few days to finalize. I have a pair of speakers ive lost interested in designing but thats about it project wise. I wonder if it would be worth bringing them with my omnimic and dats and maybe do a diy group design collaboration? No sure how pressed for time it will be but it could be a fun collab to do.

If you can be here earlier on Friday, we can get a jump start on it.
  • D1PP1N P.M. sent.  =)
  • Room booked - I'm In! I plan to bring an old Onkyo 5.1 HTIB that I want to see launched from the rooftop!
    kennyk
  • Room booked, looking forward to my first rooftop event.
  • Hi Mike (D1pp1n).  You know I'm alway game to jump in and help measure and design a crossover.
    D1PP1N
  • PWRRYD said:
    Maybe I missed it but do I need to officially register somewhere or just show up with a pair or two of speakers?
    Just show up. No official registration necessary
  • Question; Will there be the means to demo active speakers? These would be run from hypex ncore plate amps, so could take xlr or rca ins, digital or analog direct from a preamp. All the pictures I've seen from last year look to be passive. 
  • Im sure that you could play them, you just might have to play them from your phone if we cant find a way to get you connected to the main source.
  • kenrhodes said:
    Im sure that you could play them, you just might have to play them from your phone if we cant find a way to get you connected to the main source.
    Fair enough.. I'm hoping with the variety of inputs they take something will work. It's all academic at this point, as the speakers are not yet built ;)