Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Small high end 2-way

Comments

• edited March 2020
    CAT408 is 72mm OD = 2.83"

Vifa NE19 is close at about 2" OD

You can also order CSS LD22 with out a face plate (ask for it "unassembled" so the tweeter isn't glued to the face plate), and rear mount it in the baffle with a bracket. That will be 40mm to the very outside edge of the housing, with about 3mm of lip for mounting.
    joeybutts
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • I second the morel for a XO closer to 2k
  • I can do 2" MAXIMUM, but that is full overlap/faceplate cut.  I'm gonna check those options you guys have listed.
  • the CSS LD22 can also do close to 2k and is very nice
    joeybutts
  • Ne19 or ld22 dismantled..... do you guys think the ld22 is worth the $100/pr and the hassle of mounting over the ne19, especially in this orientation?
  • I don't think the NE will disassemble easily.
    I have a signature.
  • I agree with JR - the ne19 is all glued together. Plus it's a budget cast aluminum body, so cutting into the flange might be problematic. Too bad - they are great sounding little tweeters for the price and they'll do 2K with an LR/4 if you don't plan on hammering on them too hard.
    joeybutts
  • edited March 2020
    Why dismantle the NE19? It fits the 2" size constraint.

LD22 is a great pair for the Wavecor midbass, they deserve a good tweeter. On the bright side, it's cheaper than the remarkably similar Wavecor TW022WA04, at least by PE pricing :)
    joeybutts
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • Correct, the NE19 wouldn't need to be modified *much*/*at all* if implemented......but....I think I am going to go with the mounting challenge and matching motif of the CSS with the Wavecor.  It was my plan from the jump, may as well stick with it.  

Going to try and get a prelim crossover done today.  Wish me luck!
    brek81ani_101jr@macdcibel
  • JB:  Meniscus has:
    LPG 26NA  1.9" OD  $47
    SB14ST-C000-4  <1" OD  $23
    joeybutts
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • rjj45 said:
    JB:  Meniscus has:
    LPG 26NA  1.9" OD  $47
    SB14ST-C000-4  <1" OD  $23
    Damn!  Ok, will check them out.  😁  thanks!!
  • I never even knew about that SB14. That gives me some ideas, for sure! Anybody ever used or heard them?
  • Can some one check what I'm doing wrong for importing the .frd?  I found the .frd info on a website, copied, pasted cleaned top and bottom of information, saved as .frd but it keeps saving as .frd.txt and PCD cannot find any files I am trying to save properly.  Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

File is found here for the BD02......

http://www.audiodevelopers.com/Reference/FRD_data/FRD.php?dir=Wavecor/Mid_Woofers/&sort=size&order=asc

• This look right?

• edited March 2020
    Hm, should have been a couple attachments on there?  Anyone see them?
    I try again.  They look to be there, let's see what happens when I hit save.  

• Well $hit.  Where did they go? 
  • joeybutts said:
    Can some one check what I'm doing wrong for importing the .frd?  I found the .frd info on a website, copied, pasted cleaned top and bottom of information, saved as .frd but it keeps saving as .frd.txt and PCD cannot find any files I am trying to save properly.  Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

File is found here for the BD02......

http://www.audiodevelopers.com/Reference/FRD_data/FRD.php?dir=Wavecor/Mid_Woofers/&sort=size&order=asc

Make sure your windows folder has disabled the hide known extensions. So it does display the full name and you can rename being sure you replace the extension. 
  • Kornbread said:
    Hm, should have been a couple attachments on there?  Anyone see them?
    I try again.  They look to be there, let's see what happens when I hit save.  

I see 2 graphs. 
  • Two xsim snips sure, but no attachments.  When posting, it shows they are attached??? 
  • Tom_S said:
    I never even knew about that SB14. That gives me some ideas, for sure! Anybody ever used or heard them?
    @Tom_S Look for @ugly_woofer Nick's minion build - he's made a coax from it....

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/forum/tech-talk-forum/1340805-the-stuart-and-carls-my-new-project

https://diy.midwestaudio.club/discussion/1312/carl-and-stuart-build#latest
  • Thanks guys!  I didn't find the exact "hide known extensions".... but I saved a new notepad as .frd only.  then reopened and input the data and resaved and then it worked.  I don't know.  something glitchy, but it is input now in PCD.

Moving forward.....
  • 90% sure that is the tweeter from the SB pfc series coax speakers. 
  • I'm not computer savvy so this may not be the right way but when saving a measurement of my own creation or from another source; save as>choose folder>name of file followed by .frd or .zma.  Sometimes it saves as a .frd or .zma, but most of the time it saves the file as a .txt.  Go back and rename the file by adding .frd or .zma.  Works for me.
    Weren't you using REW?  It has an import and export option that you may find very helpful when the measurements begin.            
  • If you are still looking at small tweeters, what about the Peerless OX20 or OT19?  I have used both and been happy with them.
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • edited March 2020
    joeybutts said:
    Can some one check what I'm doing wrong for importing the .frd?  I found the .frd info on a website, copied, pasted cleaned top and bottom of information, saved as .frd but it keeps saving as .frd.txt and PCD cannot find any files I am trying to save properly.  Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

For the  file saving problem:  When you save the file there should be "Save as Type" field that is set to "*.txt".  Try the drop down list in that box and see if there is a "All files (*.*)" option.  If so, select that and it won't add the ".txt" extension.  The programmer decides what to put in the drop down list, so the "All file (*.*)" isn't guaranteed to be present.

For the PCD problem:  Jeff set the "Save as Type" field as "*.frd", but didn't add the "All files (*.*) option.  So all you see are .frd files.  To override this enter "*.*" (no quotes) in the "File Name" field followed by the enter key.  You'll now see all files in the directory.

Hope this helps...
    joeybutts
  • Thanks guys!  I got it all figured out I BELIEVE.  We'll see what you think and how badly I botched this first attempt. :)

• That's a good sim, as far as that goes. But... It doesn't look like baffle effects are accounted for. 
    joeybutts
    I have a signature.
  • jr@mac said:
    That's a good sim, as far as that goes. But... It doesn't look like baffle effects are accounted for. 
    Well shit..... what do I do for that?  I didn't see anything about doing that....
  • I'm on my back, so not going to type up a long tutorial etc, but there are a lot of resources out there for that. I'm sure the good folks here will get you pointed down the right path :-)
    joeybutts
    I have a signature.