Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

IOWA DIY 2020

Hello fellow DIYers.

It's time to start planning for this year's Iowa DIY!!

However............................

Given the current state of
  • Disarray wrt the virus
  • Current mass protesting and/or looting
  • Uncertainty about what lies ahead
  • Proximity of other DIY events planned around the same time
I think it would be prudent to conduct a poll to ensure that it's in all of our best interests to have a gathering this year. So let democracy reign.......please weigh in and don't give me any shit about the poll....I'm not good at these things.

IOWA DIY 2020
  1. It's a fricken nightmare out there....definitely Armageddon - Should we even do this?22 votes
    1. YES
      63.64%
    2. Hell no man!
        0.00%
    3. I'll wait until the last minute to make sure everything is cool and then make up my mind
      36.36%
  2. Is social distancing a concern?22 votes
    1. Yes
      50.00%
    2. No
      40.91%
    3. I'll wait until the last minute to make sure everything is cool and then make up my mind
        9.09%
  3. Should JR be allowed to crank Barbie Girl to 11 this year?22 votes
    1. Hell ya, I love that song!
      77.27%
    2. Hell ya I love that song!
      22.73%
My signature goes here
Tagged:

Comments

• edited June 2020
    I'm always joking but.......seriously..... another thing to be transparent about is we do not expect to have great sponsorship this year. Businesses are hurting and due to the pandemic, the Midwest DIY audio shows have all been pushed together towards the end of the year. There's only so much to go around in a short span of time, so please do not expect the door prize table to be loaded. 

There might not be a lot of toys to give away but I suspect the continued annual gathering of friends will more than make up for that.

Please weigh in with comments/concerns/ideas now, so we can get this going...or not.

My signature goes here
  • I have some pretty nice drivers I would be willing to donate as door prizes.
  • For what it's worth, the Ankeny 9 PM curfew ended on 6/3.
  • Being old with some health issues it would not be in my best interest to hang out in a crowd. I'll attend virtually if that's an option.  I might be able to donate a door prize or two. 

Ron 
    jholtz
  • we can look at virtualization the event to an extent. I wanted to get back to streaming, but the youtube policies really sucks, when the videos go silent, due to the tracks playing on them and youtube police mutes them. Maybe a live streaming... i need to look into it a bit more. I can also pickup and drop off speakers as I am driving down to iowa and the designer can come online to give a live intro, Q&A and then we can play the speakers - this of course will take a bit longer, but we can look at stream lining it. I am also assuming there will be a bit lower turnout so might be doable... or it can all fall apart but worth a try! I would be having multiple cameras going, one for streaming and one for higher quality recording, then can be edited and then posted / uploaded later.
  • is there a screen or projector setup in that room in Ankeny - I don't remember.
  • To add- AFAIK, Iowa and InDIYana are the only ones even talking about dates to attend. Meniscus/CSS generously gave InDIYana their slot. We don't know if the Speaker Design Comp portion of MWAF will still happen without dates set.

I fully expect attendees to wear masks if they deem it personally necessary, or to not attend as Ron is leaning.

Whatever shakes out will be interesting this year nonetheless.
  • I will try the streaming thing at InDIYana too, if I make it there... but it is not certain for me just cause of how far I need to drive...
  • ani_101 said:
    is there a screen or projector setup in that room in Ankeny - I don't remember.

Yes Ani there is a projector and screen. 
    My signature goes here
  • Hey guys thanks for the ideas and thanks to the dudes offering door prizes. Good stuff!
    My signature goes here
  • Rival/RAD will be donating door prizes. 
  • I should be able to donate a door prize as well.
  • Really appreciate the offers of door prize donations!! You guys are awesome. 

I see that the poll has very little traction but this is what will ultimately guide our decision, so please vote even though it’s kind of a cheeky poll. 

I am happy to see the Barbie Girl answer with the “comma” getting the lion’s share of votes.  Actually that’s a lie. I meant to have the exact same answer for both options but I screwed that up and guess what? You can’t edit a post with a poll so so lesson learned. Anyway, please vote and/or weigh in. 

Hurry up because I’m itching to call the hotel and check availability. 

Thanks!!
    My signature goes here
  • I will also throw some drivers into the donation, for the table . NIB stuff .
  • Ani - If this Covid-19 thing hasn't gotten ugly again by Fall, I have two nice Fuji cameras (an X-T2 & X-T4) that can now be configured as webcams. I also have production-grade tripods, wireless systems, etc just sitting in my office, if that would be useful.
    ani_101
  • I have some shit to throw on the doorprize table, as well. This could be fun. 
    I have a signature.
  • I'd be up for a bring something to trade or rob your neighbor event.  I'll like to see the guys who brought something get something in return.  If not I'm still up to donate as well.
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • I got some stuff I can donate for the door-prize table.
  • I'm good going home with less than I brought.
    I have a signature.
  • I'm sure I can come up with something to donate...
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • Tom_S said:
    Ani - If this Covid-19 thing hasn't gotten ugly again by Fall, I have two nice Fuji cameras (an X-T2 & X-T4) that can now be configured as webcams. I also have production-grade tripods, wireless systems, etc just sitting in my office, if that would be useful.
    Hey Tom that would be great. I just have hobby grade stuff, but seems to do ok!
  • This is outstanding!!  

Personally as one of the guys who made an effort to video past events, I'm so happy to see this collaboration to do it the right way...LOL.....not the way I tried and several times failed. 

My signature goes here
  • Let's talk about dates:  

Oct 16-17

Oct 23-24

My signature goes here
  • Bryan@MAC said:
    Let's talk about dates:  

Oct 16-17

Oct 23-24

I'd advise Oct 23-24, but my room is already reserved, so... You may find the earlier weekend is a little busier in Ankeny.
  • I am good either day.... can't see that far in the future :)  
  • I'm good with either, although the later weekend is a little more removed from my trip to Indy this year. 
    I have a signature.
  • I recommend Oct 23-24 because Iowa State has a home game on the 17th against Oklahoma.  Which would be awesome to see, but would also make hotel rooms hard to get.
    jhollander
  • I'm good with Oct 23-24.
  • I'm good with either.
  • I recommend Oct 23-24 because Iowa State has a home game on the 17th against Oklahoma.  Which would be awesome to see, but would also make hotel rooms hard to get.
    Sounds like a good reason to go with the 23rd & 24th.  Although I could do either.