Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

IOWA DIY 2020

Comments

• @Kornbread said: So far, this year has been pretty disappointing.

Yeah- for everything except actually building stuff.

• Yeah, got a few audio project further along and even finished some work around the house, till lumber became in short supply. Other than that, kinda sorta sucky.

• @Wolf said:
    Heehee- Cheesehead is stale....

I drove a 305 yard Par-4 yesterday, so some things are still 'fresh'! :)

Bryan@MAC
  • This is to be expected. With the way things are progressing in some midwestern states, it’s a potentially dangerous situation and the last thing any of us wants is to compromise the health of our DIY friends and family.

JP, JR and I are monitoring the numbers and we are in touch frequently regarding the event.

As we all know things can change rapidly. So while we are crossing fingers and toes that a vaccine or some other miracle will allow us all to gather risk-free, the reality of the situation is that this event may not happen.

We will make a decision with plenty of time for attendees to cancel rooms. I suspect we will have a definite answer by late September, or sooner if there’s another mass shutdown.

Be well everyone!!

ani_101
    My signature goes here
  • Hi everyone.
    How are folks feeling about this?
    It goes without saying the stats are not in our favor at the moment.

Can I get some input from the crew who had previously showed interest in gathering?

Thanks!!

My signature goes here
  • If I’m not sick or worse at the time I’ll be there. Kids just started school so will see how that goes.

• Barring another shutdown or travel restrictions at work, I'll be there.

• I'd still be in, but I'm already here, so...

It will be interesting to see the community reactions once schools and universities are open for a couple of weeks. The CV tracking and leadership in IA is in a total state of chaos right now.

jholtz
  • I'm a little more on the fence. There is a possibility that I and/or family members would have to quarantine if I attend. If that winds up being the case, I would certainly not attend. If new cases haven't dropped significantly by then, I would likewise have a hard time justifying attending.

Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • @Turn2 said:
    I'd still be in, but I'm already here, so...

It will be interesting to see the community reactions once schools and universities are open for a couple of weeks. The CV tracking and leadership in IA is in a total state of chaos right now.

And unfortunately, we'll probably see the result of the chaos right about the end of October. The state recently denied the Des Moines public schools request to start the school year 100% on-line. Say what?

I really want to attend, but won't make any decision until the week before.

• You guys are saying what is in direct attention for InDIYana right now as well. Decision will be made today.....

• I am not too concerned for myself as I am very active and have zero health conditions. However, my inlaws have lots of issues, I have a wife and kids, and my workplace is considered essential, so the owner who was playing it pretty fast and loose is now starting to drop the hammer on travel out of state. I may not have the personal choice :/

• I too have limitations on my out of state travel. Any hot spot visits require 14 day quarantine. Let’s hang on for a couple more weeks and see what develops in IA.

My signature goes here
  • I would like to come, but don't know how things will shape up. Minnesota is also getting lots of cases. Wouldn't want to be an unknowing carrier...

• I'm out this year.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • I plan to be there

• I still plan to attend. My only concern is the long trip with problems finding an open restaurant/restroom along the way.

• Sounds Like 4thtry will be working on his trucker bomb...
    Unless things change I wont be able to come. :(

PWRRYDjhollander
  • @4thtry said:
    I still plan to attend. My only concern is the long trip with problems finding an open restaurant/restroom along the way.

According to Facebook I have a number for friends travelling so there must be accommodations out there.

Iowa just made the top 10 for new cases, deaths and positive tests per 100K population. Our numbers had been climbing and then the students came back to the big universities. ISU tested all the students coming back to student housing and that made a big jump in our counting.

Ron

• edited August 2020

Iowa sees record 2,579 coronavirus cases, with 79% positivity rate

https://thegazette.com/subject/news/health/iowa-coronavirus-cases-covid-19-positivity-rate-antigen-results-20200828

Bars are closed in 6 of the most heavily populated counties until (at least) 9/20. Time and time again the feeble steps taken in Iowa have been inadequate to make any impact.

jholtz
  • SoDak is sneaking its way into that top ten list, as well. Sturgis Rally did not help.

I have a signature.
  • Unfortunately we're #1.

Ron

jholtzJasonPjr@macThumperTom
  • ^^ This from the same Governor who was too busy helping the VP campaign to worry about some people here in Cedar Rapids living in parking lots with no power, bathrooms, or food after the Derecho ripped their apartments into shreds.

jr@macjholtzTurn2ThumperTom
  • Hi guys. It's with a heavy heart that we've decided to cancel the IOWA DIY.

There's just no point in risking anyone's health with the way the stats are trending.

I have already been in touch with the hotel and the contract is officially cancelled.

If you have booked a room, please call them and cancel your reservation just to be safe. I was told the blocked rooms would automatically cancel, but personally I'd call to make sure.

I hope you all understand.

Next year will be bigger and better!!

ThumperTomjholtzani_101ScottSSilver1omo
    My signature goes here
  • :/

Good call.

• Sad, but the right call. Just too many unknowns.

• @Ed_Perkins said:
    Sad, but the right call. Just too many unknowns.

Agreed

• I wish things were different, but they're not...
    The last thing I would want is for this event to be the cause of spread to any attendees, families, etc.

JasonP
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • edited September 2020

Great decision my MAC brothers! Of course I am totally bummed but know it's the smart move. We will meet again in the future when it's safe. Take care all my friends.

On a side note: I have enough new projects to present I could have my very own DIY event all by myself LOL :p

JasonP6thplanethifisideThumperTom