Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Winter plans

Comments

• Ok thanks, do they get loud with lower power levels too or do you need gobs of power. That Dayton 2chanmel dsp sub looks interesting for sure but I haven't saw or read reviews. You think 500w plate amps with boost would suffice?
  • The Bash 500 plate amp or the Berhinger 3000dsp amp would work very well Mike. The Bash has resistors that can be switch out to give different levels of boost and freq, They are kind of a pain to get to on the board though. The Berry amp works pretty darn well and the dsp is hard to beat. 
  • Thx, I had an inuke 3k dsp before the balanced inputs are annoying and my HTR and emotiva preamp didn't have the correct output voltage for it. Perhaps there is a way around that but I'm not sure. Are high output class D amp boards good for subs?
  • jr@mac said:
    Am I the only one who doesn't think Continuum is the best thing since sliced bread? For a Jeff design, I feel the Triton smoked it.
    Feel free to put me in that camp too. Hell, even the Caritas smoked the Continuum when I heard them both at Indy and that one didn't really sound like Jeff's "A" work either.
  • D1PP1N said:
    Thx, I had an inuke 3k dsp before the balanced inputs are annoying and my HTR and emotiva preamp didn't have the correct output voltage for it. Perhaps there is a way around that but I'm not sure. Are high output class D amp boards good for subs?
    Hmmm, I have an Onkyo receiver driving via subwoofer output a Inuke 1000 (non-dsp) to drive my theater subwoofer. I've not had level issues at all. I used an RCA -> XLR adapter and thats it. I didn't even need to turn the gain up all the way on the behringer amp.
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."

• greywarden
    I have a signature.
  • What drivers are those?
  • Seas TFFC and Max Fidelity 6.5"
    I have a signature.
  • OOooohh ... purty!

One down one to go ...

• I would like to finish my SBA 2 way build, build a subwoofer with my Tamarind wood, and make a small full range speaker for my wife's hair salon. I think that's it for now at least.
  • finishing the testing setup. 

rebuild the bravox sub into a sealed alignment.  

decide which speakers to actually build (i think its quicker to build than decide)

then for other:
    build/design a plug and mold for a carbon fiber faring for the dirty motor bike.  Rebuild a suspension for the bike (hmm a spring and damping)

Trim out kitchen and laundry room.  Finish painting laundry room cabinets.  

spend time drinking... err organizing garage. 
  • edited October 2016
    I'm trying to wrap up my "Chernoble" 2.1 boom box experiment with 2 x 4" subs, 4 x ND90-8s and a pair of Tymphany tweets powered by a 2.1 t-amp. Depending on the outcome, I may go on to a couple more boombox attempts or a couple more tiny 2-way projects. I may also rebuild the boxes for the W4-1720 2-way I presented at DIY-IA with a design more like the twin-port Neutrinos.

If I stay in procrastination mode that will get me well into next summer.
  • Not to mirror JR, but I've been looking for a bottom woofer for my three-way build for a while and the MCM 55-5665 6.5" KB driver is looking like a winner:

MCM 55-5665 W, ScanSpeak 15M/4624G M, and SVS DX25 (on XT25 motor) T.

Yea, think this is happening.
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • Left to right... MCM 2-Way with 2669 woofer and 5165 tweeter, 3-way MCM with 5665 woofer, 5650 midrange, and 5150 tweeter. 2-way with Max Fidelity woofer and Seas tweeter, and 2-way with MCM 5665 woofer and XT25 tweeter. Broke Jasper jig before finishing last one. Also have a fifth project cut, plus will be helping Nick with his. Busy busy!
    greywardenJasonPTurn24thtryD1PP1N
    I have a signature.
  • I'm working on three reel-to-reel tape recorder restorations, and two loudspeaker projects.  Removing all drivers, xover boards, and ports from my Nanotech project to finish the cabinets.  Starting a new cabinet with an unusual shape for my SB Acoustics Satori drivers.  And the three tape recorder projects are the Revox A77, Pioneer RT-1020L, and the Akai X-2000S.  Should keep me busy. 
    jr@macJasonP

• Hard to see, maybe, but they are mud chambers for the 3-way. Wal Mart glasses and old buyout spikes as phase plug.
    JasonPTurn2
    I have a signature.
  • Mid, even. Autocorrect is really useful.
    I have a signature.

• Hard to see the profile from these pics, but it has a good taper. I was very lucky to find glasses that pretty much exactly matched the backside of the rear chamfer, so should be minimal introduced squigglies.
    greywarden
    I have a signature.

• Backside of baffle.
    greywarden
    I have a signature.
  • Is the phase plug(spike) that effective?
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • I've never seen a properly performing chambered tweeter without it, so figured can't hurt for a midrange, either. 
    Face
    I have a signature.
  • Great idea JR. I'll do that on the little boom box I'll be starting soon for work. I bought 2x these https://www.parts-express.com/tang-band-w3-2141-3-paper-cone-full-range-driver-8-ohm--264-956 and a 5-1/4 sub for a boombox.looks like about 9-10 liters for everything so it will be small. 

• Daughter's 16th b-day prop tax. Fun project with a derelict temp controller, random garbage parts from work, random XO parts, some misc hardware, and some wire. 

Cabinets mostly glued up. Had to modify cross brace for the midrange cup. Also visible is the extra material for the diffraction control I think I am going to do. Still to come are a couple more braces after I install the port. 

Also glued up the cabinets for the MCM 2-way. 

Tomorrow I will be helping Amanda glue up her cabinets, cutting a shit load of holes for mounting ports, and gluing bracing into my cabinets. Also have an additional baffle for a side project ready to be mounted temporarily on one of the 0.5 cabinets.

Pretty disappointed in this round of Denovo knockdowns, to be honest. Very poor cut quality, I think he had a tool working loose or a broken bit or something. Usually I am used to plenty of trimming/sanding to finish these off but now all three pairs will require finish work above and and beyond what I am used to. Oh well, I hate that step the least of of the cabinet building process, plus I use stuff that can be applied indoors so no hurry before Jack Frost assholes his way into SoDak.

Speaking of which, if was 77 degrees here yesterday, and hit a little over 50 today. Nice DIY weather. 
    I have a signature.
  • It is going to be a doomsday device. The bottom half will have an LED installed to give it a low glow. 

I am also going to build her a ray gun. Her party is to be mad scientist themed. Good times. 
    I have a signature.
  • jr@mac said:
    It is going to be a doomsday device. The bottom half will have an LED installed to give it a low glow. 

I am also going to build her a ray gun. Her party is to be mad scientist themed. Good times. 
    Ah following in dads footsteps!
    jr@mac
  • jr@mac said:
    I've never seen a properly performing chambered tweeter without it, so figured can't hurt for a midrange, either. 
    That is an excellent point, but I would imagine a larger phase plug would be more effective for midrange frequencies.  That would be a fun experiment. 
  • Face said:
    jr@mac said:
    I've never seen a properly performing chambered tweeter without it, so figured can't hurt for a midrange, either. 
    That is an excellent point, but I would imagine a larger phase plug would be more effective for midrange frequencies.  That would be a fun experiment. 
    Yeah, I expect it to have minimal audible effect through the midrange - but thought I would give it a shot! 
    I have a signature.
  • https://www.facebook.com/JohnnyRichards/videos/10154906819207784/

Not sure if linky will work for all or not - but the doomsday device is coming along nicely...
    I have a signature.
  • kennyk
  • = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."