Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Winter plans

Comments

• Roman - small signal audio tubes like the 12AX, 12AT, 12AU, 6DJ8, etc. can last for 1000's of hours (years or7 even decades based on use).  Sitting unused for years has no ill effect on tubes (i.e. why nuts are willing to spend $1000 for a single 1940's Western Electric B300 tube).
  • Good to know. Thanks!
  • D1PP1N said:
    2 smaller speakers, a 6 liter cabinet and a 1cf cabinet. I have about 20-30 clamps and i thin its chen-chen or something like that. 
    How are you putting the cabinets together? If you can 45 miter the boxes, veneering will be a breeze and I can help with a few suggestions. Butt joints can make for an attractive box as well but just take more time.
  • The small one is mitered and big one is but joints. They are already assembled unfortunately. I made 2 test cabs last year and just got around to needing them. 
  • Woohoo!  It's 55 F and sunny here today!!!  I'm making MDF dust out on the driveway today... oh yeah!
  • I'm getting more done on the table. Still need to wire the outlets and switch. 
    jr@macS7910

• Oh and this. 2 more panels to do. Then routing, veneer, and wiring. Next weekend????
  • Nice setup Chuck. Its really gonna help with the amount of builds you do. Is that a circular saw in there or you build it over the tablesaw? I want to make a router table with 2 or 3 inserts so i can just have like a flush trim and 45 and a round over always in them lol. Its lazy but i bet would speed up work flow quite a bit. 
  • Thanks Mike. That is an old skil circular saw. The steel base is bent. I removed the blade guard. Its square though. I will be using T tracks to make a fence for it and the router soon.
  • Man... I've got more projects going on "than you can shake a stick at" (my Grandma's saying).  I think I need to take a step back and formulate a plan of what gets worked on first, second, third, etc so I can actually finish stuff.  The big tube SET amp is working... sounding so great that I find myself not motivated to actually finish it (bottom protective cover, pretty feet and volume knob).  I have several speaker projects started....  arg
  • Am I the only one with DIY ADD?
  • Oh heavens no! Im juggling 4 projects in the shop, building the table, getting ready for a coupleof summer projects, and a few customers as well.

Im going to need a vacation from my vacation!
  • PWRRYD said:
    Am I the only one with DIY ADD?
    Nope not at all. Im super good at starting shit and finishing 75-90% of it then losing interest and never wanting to touch it again. 
  • Yeah, I got too much cutting done in November and now feeling swamped with almost everything in a state of incompletion. I need to take 1 and run for the goal line.
  • Holy shit, made some headway today on Nick's all-German driver project. I have been busy as hell this winter with work (and due to get even busier in the next several weeks), so due to a Dropkick Murphy show last night and the kid having a presentation early this afternoon I took the day off and made a huge mess in the living room and the nerdery and did some extensive voicing of Nick's speaker. 

He can chime in with driver details, but it is a Eton midwoofer and a LPG tweeter. The tweeter is a pain in the dick to use, been awhile since I have had to bang my head against the wall like this, but I beat that bitch down. 

There are eight components on the tweeter. A series resistor, a series cap, a shunted coil, a resonance trap for the tweeters impedance peak, and a flattening circuit to tilt the top end down. What you do not see in the above measurement is a natural hump in the tweeters response right in the 10k region which made a lot of ssss ssssss sssssssssibilance. 

Nick, if you are reading this, you might want to consider not using a toob amp to drive them. The impedance is a bit swingy. They sound totally decent, though. We can connect offline and discuss the next steps - I can probably build you a crossover with surplus shit I have on-hand and save you a bundle if you are interested. 
    I have a signature.
  • These cabinets have been a bit of work. I hope to be in a position to mount the drivers and do some measurements this week.

Ron

Turn2kennykSilver1omojhollanderThumperTom
  • That's an interesting cabinet. The wood look layered, is it bamboo?
  • It's 3/8" Baltic birch glued to cork flooring which has a layer of cork on both sides of a composite core. The sandwich is roughly 3/4 inch thick.  Each panel was veneered with quartered cherry and trimmed with cherry hardwood. Each panel had the edge mitered at 45 degrees and then the box was glued together. You can see all the 45 degree joints come together in the picture of the corner. Like I said it was a lot of work. There are 48 separate pieces of hardwood.

Ron

• jr@mac said:
    Holy shit, made some headway today on Nick's all-German driver project. I have been busy as hell this winter with work (and due to get even busier in the next several weeks), so due to a Dropkick Murphy show last night and the kid having a presentation early this afternoon I took the day off and made a huge mess in the living room and the nerdery and did some extensive voicing of Nick's speaker. 

He can chime in with driver details, but it is a Eton midwoofer and a LPG tweeter. The tweeter is a pain in the dick to use, been awhile since I have had to bang my head against the wall like this, but I beat that bitch down. 

There are eight components on the tweeter. A series resistor, a series cap, a shunted coil, a resonance trap for the tweeters impedance peak, and a flattening circuit to tilt the top end down. What you do not see in the above measurement is a natural hump in the tweeters response right in the 10k region which made a lot of ssss ssssss sssssssssibilance. 

Nick, if you are reading this, you might want to consider not using a toob amp to drive them. The impedance is a bit swingy. They sound totally decent, though. We can connect offline and discuss the next steps - I can probably build you a crossover with surplus shit I have on-hand and save you a bundle if you are interested. 
    Man thats looking pretty sweet JR , thanks for the help with these sir!

• Should I? 
    kennykS7910
    I have a signature.
  • If you must. But I hope this means you've shifted to 3-way mode.

OTOH, there's only 3 weeks of winter left. Time for a Spring thread soon?
  • Turn2 said:
    If you must. But I hope this means you've shifted to 3-way mode.

OTOH, there's only 3 weeks of winter left. Time for a Spring thread soon?
    You are correct, sir - however, winter can last through early April in Sioux Falls sometimes. 

I have found myself rolling more and more 3-ways these days. There are several reasons - not the least being you can generally perform equal to or better than a 2-way with the same budget. 
    I have a signature.
  • Not the way this winter is going!!!
  • jr@mac said:

Should I? 
    I used a pair of those 4" mids back in the early 80's in the doors of my 72 Super Beetle.  Wrong driver for the task.
  • I like that yours still has the ratshack price tag on them.  $9.95 was a pretty good deal back then considering a ski resort lift ticket in the midwest was around $20/day.

• Crossover for the MCM 3-way. I had the big Dayton caps sitting around, so why not? I might solder them up when I get home from work today - see how it goes. 
    I have a signature.
  • Winter is almost over and so are these.  I finished up the crossover sims last night and ordered the parts. I'm going to get some black #4 screws for the tweeters. All Dayton with Nd105-8, CE65W-8 and PTMini-6.

Ron

D1PP1Nkennyksquamishdroc4thtrygreywarden
  • Interesting.  I always wondered about that CE65.
  • Ron, for MWAF?
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • edited March 2017
    Ron, do have any measurement on the CE65W-8 ? There's nothing on PE.
    ............. could you hum a few bars.