Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Winter plans

Comments

• edited November 2016
    D1PP1N said:
    Did you make a template for the truncated mcm driver? 
    Nope. Routed a circle, cut pieces from 3/8"x3/8" stock for the flat edges, glued them in place, sanded flat, filled any remaining gaps with wood filler and sanded once more. I've had much better luck with this method than screwing around with templates. YMMV. Shaping and sanding the 3/8" (or even 1/4") stock for an accurate fit are the key. Tiny scraps of MDF actually are the easiest to work with.
    jr@mac
  • My next project is going to be a small full range for the wife's salon. Going to be using these little guys and some of the tamarind for the baffles.

jr@mac
  • This is why I love working with 3-ways...

Based on the measurements I took earlier today.

I will shelve this for now, however. I have way too many other things to do - including resetting my LIMP software so it reads to 10Hz and 25000Hz again. 

2nd order all around at ~480 and ~3800. 13 components. Impedance is pretty damn benign. Distortion should be pretty damn low. Too bad I have two other projects ahead of this one, plus the holidays, plus working my ass off. 

kennyksquamishdrocJasonP
    I have a signature.
  • Hot damn! That looks nice jr

• Looks good JR B)

Finished the speakers for Emily's salon. TB W3 in .1cf with a 1.25x3" port. Sounds better than the cheap little cubes that were left over from an old HTIB. 

Nicholas_23kennykD1PP1N
  • I like the finish on those cabs sir
  • I almost bought a pair of those, Derek - kind of wish I had. Maybe they will go on-sale dirt cheap again.
    I have a signature.
  • edited December 2016
    I like the finish on those cabs sir

jr@mac
    said:
    I almost bought a pair of those, Derek - kind of wish I had. Maybe they will go on-sale dirt cheap again.

Thanks Nicholas - the baffles are a solid piece of spalted tamarind and maple veneer on the rest of it.

The W3's are only $31cdn at Solen - that's like what $10us maybe ;) 
    greywarden
  • I really kicking myself in the ass because i didnt run a natural gas line out to my garage when i ran out the new electric. i broke up my patio to do it and i should have just run the gas line incase i ever wanted to add it. i could just keep my garage at like 40-50f when im not in there and bump up the thermostat when i am after work. 
  • I just put coat of stain on the walnut veneer.

jr@macD1PP1NkennykS7910Nicholas_23
  • I can cross one project off the list. The PS95-8/AMT Mini-8 is on the finished list. And hey, I found a use for the red Duratex. This is based on a sim by Scott S. over on THAT board. I absolutely love the sound, especially this AMT. While the boxes are just short of 3 liters and ported, they are just a bit shy in the bass. So a finished project leads to the addition of a baby sub project and then these babies will be out the door.

jr@mackennykS7910squamishdroc
  • The copper hardware and phase plug goes well with the red baffle. ;)
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • Well, for the winter plans, I am working on rebuilding my large array with analog x-over instead of DSP. Also finishing Satori/Viawave 2-way speaker. Hopefully I'll have enough time to also design and build horn bass sections for Alice. My speaker senses are tingling!
  • nice AMT build - very cute!

Roman, was following your 3d cnc build with a lot of interest. hopefully you will post more and give us an insight to the build.
  • Every time I am about to finish the build, job comes up and it gets postponed.
  • Work up a crossover for these jobbies....
    kennykNicholas_23D1PP1N

• Simulated crossover for brother Nick. Eton woofer, LPG tweeter, small vented cabinet. He has a killer concept in mind for the finish, and has come up with a great name. I will let him chime in and explain things further. 

Tweeter is proving to be reluctant to play nice, but nothing a cluttered crossover board won't fix. 
    Nicholas_23
    I have a signature.
  • Nice, finally an Eton build. The LPG tweet is also a relatively unknown one. Nick, more details please. 

Would really like to hear these.
  • I spent some time in the shop the last few nights.Realized I have 4 projects on the go at once! 

I made a small full range speaker for my wife's salon about a month ago and within 2 weeks the veneer started to lift and crack on almost every panel.

I'm not sure why it happened - maybe a bad batch of contact cement? The veneer pulled off real easy on almost every panel of both speakers.

So I ordered a bottle of heat lock glue because I don't want this to happen again but the bottle froze in transport and was no good. Plan is to just sand down the enclosures and glue some new veneer on. 

I also have the speaker rebuild project for a friend, a second set of the Tamarinds to make, and build a powered subwoofer. I wanted the sub to have a translam look to the baffle so I cut up some BB and threw in 2 strips of the Tamarind wood with the purple highlights. 

Boxes waiting for veneer.......

jr@mackennyk
  • That spalted wood is just beautiful man. Nice
    squamishdroc
  • ani_101 said:
    Nice, finally an Eton build. The LPG tweet is also a relatively unknown one. Nick, more details please. 

Would really like to hear these.

LPG 26T

http://meniscusaudio.com/images/LPG 26T.pdf

Tweeter was purchased as "unearthed" (used) drivers from madisound last year , then Fritz had the Etons up for sale on PE's classified for a decent price so I bought those thinking they would make for a decent little two way monitor . I know JR will make them sound good , I hope I can do them justice with the finish. This is the theme build I mentioned earlier on in the forum 
    jr@macPWRRYD
  • You can never have too many clamps

I finally did some glue up on my now one-year-old project. Took me and dad all morning to re-arrange the garage so we could get to the table saw.
    Face
    deadhorse - leviathan - harbinger - shockwave (wip)
  • I spent some time in the shop the last few nights.Realized I have 4 projects on the go at once! 

I made a small full range speaker for my wife's salon about a month ago and within 2 weeks the veneer started to lift and crack on almost every panel.

I'm not sure why it happened - maybe a bad batch of contact cement? The veneer pulled off real easy on almost every panel of both speakers.

So I ordered a bottle of heat lock glue because I don't want this to happen again but the bottle froze in transport and was no good. Plan is to just sand down the enclosures and glue some new veneer on.
    Ouch. I had some raw walnut veneer crack like that too after using heat lock. Hope the new finish is problem free.
  • edited January 2017
    My new DIY audio rack. Got the corners and the shelves from PE. Baltic Birch is leftover from the job. Line arrays are PITA to do in analog but I am getting there.
    Face
  • Hmmmmmmm, new toys?
  • edited January 2017
    no, nothing new. Brought some old stuff from home.

AVA FetValve was seating at home without much use for 8 years.
    How often do you need to change input tubes? Mine has  12AX7A
  • Craig's the tube maven..........Calling Dr Craig..........Calling Dr Craig...........
  • I need to do some veneering with raw veneer, still trying to determine the best method. I bought cold press veneer glue but heat lock seems like the easiest method (joe woodworker doesmt recommend heatlock on raw veneer though. I dont have a vacuum bag. 
  • What are you veneering, what veneer? Got clamps?
  • 2 smaller speakers, a 6 liter cabinet and a 1cf cabinet. I have about 20-30 clamps and i thin its chen-chen or something like that.