Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Off topic discussions - no politics, religion, food, or booze.

Comments

• Then you have to hope the shut off still works. I shut mine off for working on a bathroom remodel. Went to turn it back on, it unscrewed like it should be on, but the valve internally stayed closed.🤦🏻‍♂️WTF. Yup, plumber, new valve.

Shitty thing is I assumed he would cut and sweat in a new deal. Nope, fucking shark bite fittings. I could have done that. For fuck sake.

• @PWRRYD said:
    Plumbers... never bite your finger nails lol!

And shit rolls down hill.

• @a4eaudio said:
    I drilled through a water pipe two weeks ago and had the emergency plumber come out. I was talking to him about some of the other things I have to get fixed in my house and he commented that the plumbers get paid more than the electricians despite there being more risk for the electricians.

Plumbers get to install water heaters and cast iron bathtubs.

• Like I said - Plumbing is a vertical market opportunity.

You hire 2 men and a truck as subcontractors to deliver and remove the cast iron tub and charge the client.
    Water heaters are cake to replace most of the time.
    You need so many tools/equipment as a plumber that you open a tool rental business to support the plumbing business and write off all the tool costs as rental fees and never turn a profit while the tool rental place keeps turning-over equipment inventory at a maintenance-loss and everything (employees included) is written off as an expense while driving nice vehicles and just managing the local labor from the vocational schools and high school drop outs.

It's all about management of time, labor and the books . . . and supervision.

• My friend is a retired plumber. Despite being retired he works everyday. I asked him why and he said he likes to help his friends out. So I asked how many friends does he help out, he said he's got 6,000 contacts in his phone. :o

jr@macSteve_Lee
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Unknown to us, we had a burst water pipe under the aggregate in our back yard: just a small crack in a copper pipe, but it quadrupled our water bill for one quarter and cracked the aggregate. We only noticed it when we heard a hissing noise and saw some water trickling from one of the cracks.

The crack in the pipe had been caused by blockages along a drainage pipe connection which had been blocked by cement residue when the aggregate was laid, so that had to be fixed, too.

Repair bill: A$6,000!

There's a general shortage of skilled trades here, in part due to a stigma which somehow got attached to technical and trade schools in the 1970s and 80s, with consequent lack of funding. The apprenticeship system was also a problem, with widespread exploitation and bullying, which rather put young hopefuls off.

Geoff

• edited September 2023

Had the main to out house spring a leak. One of those where the water bill kept going up, was like wtf is going on.
    Once I figured out where it was happening, went to shut off the main, the whole manhole was totally full of water! Digging a hole in waterlogged dirt is a fucking horrible job. Turns out somebody attempted a repair previously and didn't do it properly. I did.

That saved a few thousand dollars.

PWRRYDSteve_Leejhollanderjr@macR-CarpentertajaneshifisideNicholas_23
  • Poly pipe down there? It's all copper up here.

• @ugly_woofer said:
    Poly pipe down there? It's all copper up here.

Same here.

I have a signature.
  • edited September 2023

You guys don't use PEX or PVC? Or do you mean copper in ground only?

• Copper from the water main to the house, and almost all are copper in the house, with a few pex, and even rarer pvc. Wells are generally poly to the house.

• My house had 1" lead pipe from the main under the street to the meter in the basement. Pretty standard for houses build in the 1960's around here. We developed a wet soggy sink hole in the front yard (leak) so now it's 1" copper.

• Copper from main through inside shutoff, from there copper to water heater and then it branches out using Pex to feed rest of house.

Frost gets pretty deep here.

I have a signature.
  • Mains are a minimum of 5' here.

• 5 foot mains!?!?!?

Steve_Leea4eaudio6thplanet
  • edited September 2023

Depth not diameter

Steve_Lee6thplanet
  • I have plastic from the well.

• edited September 2023

Lead coming into the house. Shouldn't be an issue unless they pull some crap like Flint. I have a big filter cartridge before the drinking water faucet anyway that I replace roughly once a year.

I redid the whole house in copper since it has a looong track record of getting at least 20-30yr without leaks.

Pex was just as expensive factoring in all the manifolds. And I refuse to do a joint with that stuff in the wall without access to it. I've heard plenty about those leaking.

• My house has galvanized, copper, and plastic plumbing. I use whatever I have to.

• Pex is perfectly fine when crimped. Can be fine with high quality shark bite connections properly terminated. Where I see failures is cheap components or bad craftsmanship. I think it falls inline with most "new" technology, we have to get past the learning curve.

jr@mac6thplanetSteve_Lee
  • I totally understand, I've just gotten past the learning curve on copper.. not pex. So I wasn't going to trust my own handiwork with that stuff, being totally new to it.

• After investing $80 in a crimping tool, I love using PEX. With zero experience I roughed in my kitchenette in an hour.

6thplanet
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • I bid on a vintage Altec Lancing 421 bass speaker on eBay. The seller was selling as is and had no way to check it with a meter. He mentioned it was from a storage auction, had a few speakers and Hammond organ stuff. From the pics it looked nice so I rolled the dice. Few days later it shows up. 😡 He obviously has no clue how speakers work. He put a bunch of bubble wrap ( the big bubble kind) in the cone, placed cardboard over it, then wrapped the driver in more bubble wrap, then into a box that wasn't quite deep enough for the driver. 🤦🏻‍♂️

I swear I was sick to my stomach when I saw this, not to mention the VC measured fine. Fuck.
    What a sad day.

kenrhodesSteve_Lee
  • You did not get what you paid for in that you bought it as was...

Steve_Lee
  • Make a claim with the seller explaining that they did the damage. If they don't take care of you claim with eBay.

• That just sucks!

• Always a crapshoot on eBay, that's for sure.

I have a signature.
  • Yeah I started a claim.

kenrhodesSteve_Lee

• Tig 'ol middie.

kenrhodesPWRRYDugly_woofer6thplanet
    I have a signature.