Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Off topic discussions - no politics, religion, food, or booze.

Comments

• @jhollander said:
    So JR ate them?

Without prejudice!

• So after giving it my all for one year, I have determined that full-time safety might not be my thing. Maintenance gets in your blood - so I have started interviewing for jobs in that field again. Some very encouraging responses for jobs that offer similar or better benefits and anywhere from a 10000 to 35000 raise. I took the current gig well under market value for full-time EHS managers with the understanding the money would follow - but it isn't going to.

Here is the kicker - wife was just promoted to a full-time work from home gig. That opens up a lot of possibilities about where we live and work.

One of the jobs I am looking at is in a smaller community about 55 minutes North of here. I would make the commute for a couple of years while we finish up the stuff this house needs and then re-evaluate things.

Exciting stuff happening.

Steve_Leekenrhodes6thplanethifisideSilver1omotajanesani_101Ron_EsquamishdrocS7910
    I have a signature.
  • Safety Talk

jr@mac
  • edited August 2023

In 1981, Queen and David Bowie were recording separate projects at Mountain Studio — which was owned by Queen — in Montreux, Switzerland.

The group’s producer David Richards popped over to Bowie and asked if he wanted to jam. They all got boozed and decided to make a song together.

https://x.com/trungtphan/status/1696682310899466255?s=46&t=UxUwFO-wJhLN1_WtH2nx7Q

jr@macSteve_Leekenrhodes
  • @jhollander said:
    So JR ate them?

They were delicious.

tajanesSteve_Leekenrhodes
    I have a signature.
  • @tajanes said:
    This looks interesting- and rea$onable

Do you know anyone that offers yellow round 5 to 7 in led fog-lights? Most now are actually spots. I see they are offered for inside the bumper- but I’d prefer the old Cibie style (but not halogen these days) and looking to drop them off my front bumper some how. And looking under the car, any thoughts of dumping the muffler and exiting the side just in front of the rear wheel (maybe with a small silencer type of muffler)?

Looks like Hella still makes a yellow 500 series but they are not an led. We put an MBRP exhaust on a 2.7 at work - wasn't terribly impressed with how it sounds.

• @squamishdroc said:

Looks like Hella still makes a yellow 500 series but they are not an led. We put an MBRP exhaust on a 2.7 at work - wasn't terribly impressed with how it sounds.

Thanks, I'm just wondering if you think there is room to bring the exhaust out (under and along the driver's side somewhere) to then exit in front of the rear wheel? Looks like there is a path along the side from underneath but the frame and rear suspension forward bar may be the barriers. - thx

• RIP Jimmy Buffet

Steve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • It was ACD weekend again, bunch cars for seeing, sale, and auction.

6thplanet
  • edited September 2023

Most of these were from the Fast and Fabulous this evening. Yesterday all day was the cruise in, and all varieties were present. Sorry about the couple digits in the images...

tajanes
  • That's a hella turn out, nicey nice!🔥

• After moving upstate NY I've decided to look for a part time gig either programming or running CNC mills or routers.
    Metal working CNC is not something I know very well (feeds and speeds etc) and I just started to learn GR&T which is super interesting. But...
    I am blown away how little pay factories offer to machinists. The list of "must be" is usually half a page and the employers require experience and knowledge in machining, programming etc. The starting pay is around $20/hr.
    Local supermarkets offer $18/hr for pretty much mindless droning in the store.
    How can this be? Running a $100k CNC mill with a few grand worth of material pays marginally more VS stocking shelves where biggest accident could be a dropped jar of pickles.

• Our machinists here make anywhere from $24 to $45/hr depending on machine type and experience. If it is plug and play and machine does all the work it is lower pay.

I have a signature.
  • Yeah, the world is in a sad state.

• Guess what I'm saying is quite a few machinist jobs these days are little more than basic machine operation jobs. Do not necessarily require a lot of skill to operate high end CNC machines - the money is in the programming, and even then it takes years to really get to that point.

6thplanet
    I have a signature.
  • A lot of the newest machines have so much idiot proofing built in they are almost hard to crash. A.I. lenses, load detection, and auto touch off take a lot of skill out of the job.

• Be all you can be - become a plumber.
    It makes this hobby more affordable and you can have all the round-over and port making materials for free . . .
    =)

6thplanetkenrhodes
  • @jr@mac said:
    Guess what I'm saying is quite a few machinist jobs these days are little more than basic machine operation jobs. Do not necessarily require a lot of skill to operate high end CNC machines - the money is in the programming, and even then it takes years to really get to that point.

Production machining on CNC machines takes some skill but it isn't rocket science. I used to maintain an automated CNC complex and it didn't pay all that well in my opinion. That said I just found a 1989 pay stub that indicated I was paid the equivalent of $32.54/hr. No wonder I could afford $1600 worth of ribbon drivers.

Ron

• I've worked with every trade under the sun and if I hadn't chose to go get my BSEE I would have definitely went into the electrical trade. I have lots of friends who are electricians. Some industrial, some comercial, some residential. They all make really good money and they don't have bad knees, backs, or drink excessively, etc. Can't say that about some other trades.

• I drilled through a water pipe two weeks ago and had the emergency plumber come out. I was talking to him about some of the other things I have to get fixed in my house and he commented that the plumbers get paid more than the electricians despite there being more risk for the electricians.

Steve_Lee
  • Ah no, being a plumber is not fun. Concrete patching is tomorrow.

Steve_Lee6thplanetugly_woofer
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • It's not just a job - its an adventure.
    A vertical market adventure at that . . . ;)

• Plumbers... never bite your finger nails lol!

Steve_Lee
  • Always know where your main water supply shut off valve and pump breaker are.

Steve_Lee
  • @Wolf said:
    Always know where your main water supply shut off valve and pump breaker are.

Luckily for me, when we moved in I made sure to know where the water shut-off was. I drilled through the pipe around midnight on a Sunday. I thought I could hear the water spraying a little within the wall. I wasn't 100% sure I had gone through a water pipe, although I was 90% sure. It turns out the screw went right through the pipe, so was still mostly plugging it shut. I backed the screw out and it was like a fire hydrant through that small screw-hole, blasting a straight line of water across the narrow mud-room into the opposing wall. Unlike when the screw was still plugging the hole, that was a LOT of water in a short time. I was able to get the screw back into the hole in the pipe and get to the water shut-off within 2 to 3 minutes and man that was a lot of water.

6thplanetSteve_Lee