Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Off topic discussions - no politics, religion, food, or booze.

Comments

• Makes me want take a drive to Misssippy via Lewisville, then on Luzeianna for a swait tay! Glenn

PWRRYDSteve_Lee
  • edited August 2023

There is definitely a dialect gradient in the Midwest where the Scandinavian, especially Norwegian, immigrant influence is heavy. I'm unsure where the "worsh" phenomenon fits in. My Grandmother on Dad's side used that and she never lived outside Iowa and the family came direct from Germany.

https://washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/wp/2013/12/02/what-dialect-to-do-you-speak-a-map-of-american-english/

Steve_Lee
  • Yes we like to add Rs in Missouri. I grew up in Tennessee so it doesn’t take long for me to slip into a more southern accent.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • edited August 2023

Dialect and accent are two different issues, but can be tied together (see Cajun). While the lines may be fuzzier than depicted here, it clearly shows why I claimed the Wisc folks differ from SoDaks.

jr@macSteve_Lee

• First stogie in awhile, back to the basics. Arturo Fuentes 858 in Maduro wrapper

I have a signature.
  • Speaking of accents, I find those in England fascinating;given it's such a small country compared to Oz and the USA, the differences are amazing. Even growing up either side of the Thames River makes a huge difference in accent and word usage.

Geoff

• Many years ago I spent a week in Binghamton NY for work. The gal who worked the front desk had relocated from the Bronx. We spent a lot of hours chatting at night (it helped she was pretty good looking), and laughed at each others accents. I told her she sounded like Tony Soprano and she told me I sounded like I came straight from the movie Fargo. We got along great. I also got a book autographed by a reasonably famous karate instructor - this was back when I was peaking in my karate career. It was overall a good trip, the hotel had an agreement with a large gym right next door so I was able to workout, and I was able to train one night at that dojo.

Anyways, we pronounce "our" as "are" here.

I have a signature.
  • A fun little 'blond' story. Years ago my wife (whom was working as an in-house attorney for a company in Indiana) had a business trip to Canada. The guys in the office asked if she would bring back a few boxes of Cuba Cigars- she said sure, no problem. As we know, these are contraband as to bringing into the old USofA.

At the airport, my wife was asked the standard question 'do you have anything to declare?' Her reply was 'just a couple boxes of Cuban Cigars' ...and the security person and her just laughed. No suitcase search required, and they actually were quite good.

• On the flip side of that... about 6 months ago I had a business trip to OK City, OK. The ding dong TSA workers threw away my bottle of contact saline solution and a tube of Crest tooth paste.

• Funny, and I've never been given a speeding ticket warning either (as my wife has). Go figure...

• I grew up with two brothers , all three of us haves jeeps , the two brothers have had multiples. The oldest brother picked up a 2023 diesel Rubicon a few months back. We went out west this weekend with his jeep for some camping and trails. Our other friend is currently in Rapid City and came out to join us Saturday with his new turbo(psshhhh) razor, scary fast! Here are a few shots from our camp site trails etc etc ... Oh and I finally got to try a spotted cow , Ill agree , pretty damn tasty.

jr@mactajanesSteve_Lee6thplanetugly_wooferPWRRYDjhollanderTurn2Colonel7S7910and 2 others.
  • 43.669111389409764, -102.57473636725462

Steve_Lee
  • Looks like a fun trip, Nick.

I have a signature.
  • Is that the White River? Looks a little low. Surprising given the amount of rain out West this year.

I have a signature.
  • @tajanes said:
    Funny, and I've never been given a speeding ticket warning either (as my wife has). Go figure...

I received a warning last Thanksgiving weekend - adaptive cruise control screwed me. Got behind a highway patrol on a 55mph road and followed him just fine until he started speeding up and slowing down. My Sorento did the same thing lol. He pulled me over and I explained what happened so he gave me the warning.

My first interaction with a LEO in 20+ years. Last ticket I got was when I still had my nasty hot rodded S10 pickup. I hit the on-ramp on the interstate and decided to put the hammer down and let the pipes sing. Got to around 90 at the bottom of the ramp and was immediately pulled over by the waiting highway patrol car. Made the guy laugh when I told him all I wanted to do was drive fast, but he said he had to ticket me anyways due to the speed I was going.

6thplanettajanes
    I have a signature.
  • That was my last pull over. 2020, Covid had our shop split into two shifts. I was working late, got off at 10pm. It was dark, no other cars around, I hit the on ramp. As I merged onto the expressway, top of third, 90+ I let off. Just as that happened I see the headlights pop on from a bit ways back. I cruse, he rolls up to me, pulled over.
    I was honest, he let me off.

• @jr@mac said:

• adaptive cruise control screwed me. Got behind a highway patrol on a 55mph road and followed him just fine until he started speeding up and slowing down. My Sorento did the same thing lol. He pulled me over and I explained what happened so he gave me the warning.

What else could he do - admit he was speeding - ha, nice one !

My niece actually got a ticket for tailgating a police officer in a residential / commercial area, and her dad is still wondering wtf...

• My wife's honda has no torque, especially with the ac on. So when going up a hill and start losing speed faster than anticipated due to the compressor drag you put the foot down to speed back up. It downshifts and revs up. If the timing is just right (or wrong depending how you look at it) as you crest the hill the revs engage v-tech right as the AC compressor shuts off and by that point you are now going down hill with way more power than you had 2 seconds ago. It is rather obnoxious.

• @tajanes said:

@jr@mac said:

• adaptive cruise control screwed me. Got behind a highway patrol on a 55mph road and followed him just fine until he started speeding up and slowing down. My Sorento did the same thing lol. He pulled me over and I explained what happened so he gave me the warning.

What else could he do - admit he was speeding - ha, nice one !

My niece actually got a ticket for tailgating a police officer in a residential / commercial area, and her dad is still wondering wtf...

Um ... yeah, I thought the cops had to obey the traffic laws too unless their lights and siren are on?

• @jr@mac said:
    Is that the White River? Looks a little low. Surprising given the amount of rain out West this year.

That was the plan Jr , we had another hour ahead of us to make it to white river . Then the weather turned on us , mist , cold and wind. Our friend ( guy with the razr) is dealing with cancer and has started chemo treatments which makes him hyper sensitive to the cold , especially in his hands. We decided to double back and did some rock hounding in some of those creek passes/washouts. Mother nature was kind enough to give us most of the day to bomb around. Im not mad about it.

• Looks fun Nick!

• Thanks Craig. Didnt realize how much I missed hanging out with these guys. The same goes for my audio homies.
    If anyone wants to follow the trail , here is the jumping point , scroll down and right , dont go left. 43.77679038323987, -102.6694531372356

• RIP Robbie Robertson and Rodriguez

This is proving to be a sad year for music lovers

Geoff

• Took some shots on antique fair near Syracuse. Lens is thorium glass Tomioka 55mm 1.7 from late 60s.

tajaneskenrhodesSteve_Leeugly_wooferTurn2Silver1omo4thtryNicholas_236thplanetS7910and 1 other.
  • and the King.

kenrhodeshifisideSteve_Leea4eaudiojhollander4thtryNicholas_23squamishdroc
  • Wicked bokeh on that glass, man!

R-Carpenter
  • ...hand planes...I'm a sucker for old planes

Billet
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • How the heck is everyone!? I joined sometime back but kinda disappeared, even though I still have ambition to work on my speaker project, but work took precedent. Lots of stuff happened recently, got laid off in May, just recently found a new job/career that I hope to prosper in for the next few decades!

kenrhodesDrewsBrewsjr@macSteve_Leejhollander
  • @R-Carpenter said:
    Took some shots on antique fair near Syracuse. Lens is thorium glass Tomioka 55mm 1.7 from late 60s.

Nice set of pictures. Creamy bokeh. What camera is this lens attached to? I can get a fairly good bokeh with my Zeiss 135mm f1.8 portrait lens, but I haven't used it in quite a while (and it is heavy).

• @4thtry said:

@R-Carpenter said:
    Took some shots on antique fair near Syracuse. Lens is thorium glass Tomioka 55mm 1.7 from late 60s.

Nice set of pictures. Creamy bokeh. What camera is this lens attached to? I can get a fairly good bokeh with my Zeiss 135mm f1.8 portrait lens, but I haven't used it in quite a while (and it is heavy).

Nikon D800.
    Is is a modern Zeiss or vintage?