Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Off topic discussions - no politics, religion, food, or booze.

Comments

• Pre-delivery inspection.

Steve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • @DrewsBrews said:
    It is so dang windy around here. Figured I'd make the best of it. Had a 26' kite ship in this weekend. Gave it a shot for the first time today. Flew on first try. (Power lines in the pic are 2x as far away as the kite).

October and November is the best time of year to fly kites. Several years ago my uncle kept the same kite aloft for...I don't know how many days, but I'm sure it was over 2 weeks. The loess hills of Iowa can be like that, and I'm sure the windswept SoDak guys can relate.

• Here's a short clip about an Australian 'muscle car' which set a new record of A$1.15m at auction for an Australian car. The buyer has installed it in a modern art museum!

It's a 'Ford Falcon GTHO Phase 3', of which only 300 were built, basically to qualify to race at the famous Mount Panorama 500 mile (now 1,000km) touring car race. Engine was a 351 'Cleveland' V8 and the car had various handling and engine mods over a standard Falcon GT. Standard equipment ran to AM radio, heater, vinyl bucket seats and a bigger fuel tank.

The new cost in 1971 - around A$4,000. Many were crashed, stolen, or rusted out and there are many replicas or fakes around. Even a tired but genuine example will fetch serious money.

A neighbour of ours - a racing driver and driving instructor - had a red one and was booked by the NSW Police at 135mph, which was rather fast for 1971. He took the case to court, as at the time the speed limit was 50mph "prima facie", if you exceeded that speed you had to prove you were driving safely. He won.

Geoff

6thplanetugly_wooferSteve_Leesquamishdroc
  • @DrewsBrews said:
    Meanwhile at JR's old job..

https://i.imgur.com/n0fqB76.mp4

๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

No guard, savages.

6thplanetSteve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • @jr@mac said:
    Pre-delivery inspection.

In Oz that means screwing on a set of number plates and vacuuming the interior, for which dealers try and sting you A$1,000 - 2,000!

Geoff

• So had my first colonoscopy yesterday - no cancer but six polyps were removed and sent off for testing. SOP. Solid reminder that I am getting older by they day but overall I am in good health and married to a wonderful woman who is very understanding and supportive of me in so many ways.

My uncle, however, is dying of cancer as we speak. His treatment option is at odds with his heart condition so he basically had to choose his poison - cancer or heart. I will be serving as administrator and executor for him. That was a tough phone call. This is my favorite uncle and we are very close. He is the one who gifted me the truck.

Life gets complicated the older we get, so I am grateful for my family and my friends. Slainte.

Steve_Leejholtz
    I have a signature.
  • So very sorry to hear about your Uncle's situation.

ugly_wooferEd_Perkins
  • Sorry about your loss JR. Cancer sucks ass. I'm glad you are taking care of yourself and your family.

I lost my sister to colon cancer a year ago. She was 59. It was diagnosed in the ER. She was 50 and had not yet had her first colonoscopy. She went in suffering from abdominal distress. They removed 1/3 of her lower intestine that night. She outlived her prognosis by at least 5 years. In the end, it moved to her liver and that's what finished her.

I had my second colonoscopy this summer. A lot of people put it off because they dread the thought, but it's really no bid deal.

jr@mac
  • So true, JR, so true.

We only get one round on this planet, enjoy it while you can.

• @tommytunes50 said:
    Sorry about your loss JR. Cancer sucks ass. I'm glad you are taking care of yourself and your family.

I lost my sister to colon cancer a year ago. She was 59. It was diagnosed in the ER. She was 50 and had not yet had her first colonoscopy. She went in suffering from abdominal distress. They removed 1/3 of her lower intestine that night. She outlived her prognosis by at least 5 years. In the end, it moved to her liver and that's what finished her.

I had my second colonoscopy this summer. A lot of people put it off because they dread the thought, but it's really no bid deal.

He's not gone yet, but the finish line is in sight. He has made his peace with it.

I have a signature.
  • What I find so odd is that I didn't realize how common cancer really is until it started to impact my family/loved ones.

Prayers for comfort and peace to JR's uncle and to all of his family.

• Thinking about you JR my brother!

• So sorry JR. I'm glad he's got family like you to support him.

• JR, my sincere condolences offered for your life's difficulties right now. [chokes back flood of experiences/emotions].

• pre-delivery inspection.

• @squamishdroc said:
    Got to pdi and road test a new Dark Horse Mustang last week - pretty sweet ride! My favorite part is you can configure the gauges to look just like the gauges from a Fox body Mustang! Cool things you can do with screens instead of actual gauges =) The msrp on this one was 91k cdn!

Did you settle for MSRP or bargain less or did the dealer try to stick you with the market adjustment?

• I spent a lot of Sunday nights at the Cobblestone ballroom in high school trying to lose my hearing listening to rock bands. They couldn't sell liquor on Sundays so they opened up for rock bands and teenagers. There were s few regional bands that could fill the place to standing room only.

It goes way back. "On New Year's Eve of 1929 the first dance was held in the small hall that accommodated 50 couples. From those humble beginnings the famous Cobblestone Ballroom was born. It could hold upwards of 1500 people for dining and dancing."

It was on the lake shore and I lost my front teeth on the steering wheel of the Mercury Monterey when I hit a tree just outside the parking lot while trying to show my date how to turn on the heater. It bent the frame on the car but I think the tree is still there.

https://ktiv.com/2023/11/08/historic-cobblestone-inn-ballroom-gets-new-lease-life-storm-lake-ia/

It will be interesting to see if the new owners can make a go of it.

Ron

6thplanetTurn2
  • edited November 2023

:+1:

(Edited too late and got busted as evidenced below . . .)

• @Steve_Lee said:
    Well, did you also lose your virginity along with your teeth that night or did that come later?

Much much later and not with her. She was the first women to tell me she loved me and 2 weeks later she dumped me for a keyboard player. I was crushed.

When I hit the tree she got a cut on her forehead that bleed profusely and she couldn't see from all the blood. She ended up with a decent scar. Shortly after the accident the rumor mill cranked up and the word was that she was pregnant and blind. I heard that from her mom. Her parents were lovely people and I would stop and see them anytime I was in the area.

I don't see her very often but I consider her a dear friend. She was widowed a few years ago and her husband was a salesman in a high end audio store. I was supposed to get together with her and go through his collection of audio gear but that hasn't happened yet. She also has his collection of pinball machines which are probably worth some serious money.

Ron

Steve_Lee6thplanet
  • Took a day of vacation today (got a few left to use or lose) and drove about 30 miles down to a real sawmill. They have a website if you are interested, google Kirkland Sawmill. I found a great piece of honey elm for my next project's baffles. A full 1" thick, 12" wide, and 5' long.... cash price was only $25! It's straight as an arrow and planed on both sides. Suck it Menards Mastercrap wood :o

hifisidejr@macSteve_LeesilverDWolfjhollanderColonel76thplanetBillettajanesand 1 other.
  • @PWRRYD said:
    ... Suck it Menards Mastercrap wood :o

Yeah, but Menards crushes it with the $3.99 sale-priced particle board shelving!

Getting a real piece of wood from a sawmill sounds cool. There was a really nice specialty lumber place on Cincinnati, but I have yet to find where to get stuff in Grand Rapids. I'm going to be needing 1/8" Baltic Birch ply sheets for some large curved towers.

• We have a real lumber yard here in Rockford that sells baltic birch plywood and has a very large/nice selection of hardwoods. I use to go there a lot, early on Saturday mornings because it is in the absolutely worst part of town. Since the whole defund the police thing I don't feel safe going there at all anymore.

Steve_Lee
  • My current speaker build took a back seat to building this desk for my wife. It's heavy AF as it's made of double thick 3/4" MDF. Round overs are 1.5" and veneered with walnut. Finish is nine coats of Waterlox Original.

Wife did the semi-gloss white latex paint.

Steve_LeeTom_Shifisidejr@macugly_woofersilverDRon_EKornbreadTurn2jhollanderand 2 others.
  • Snazz-Eeee!

6thplanet
  • @R-Carpenter said:

@squamishdroc said:
    Got to pdi and road test a new Dark Horse Mustang last week - pretty sweet ride! My favorite part is you can configure the gauges to look just like the gauges from a Fox body Mustang! Cool things you can do with screens instead of actual gauges =) The msrp on this one was 91k cdn!

Did you settle for MSRP or bargain less or did the dealer try to stick you with the market adjustment?

Unfortunately it is not for me - I just work at the dealership, but sure is fun to drive! But on the good side we don't add dealer markup to any of our vehicles

• I only know the acronym because I used to buy lots of pallet jacks and forklifts.

I have a signature.
  • Bar remodel phase 1 done...

6thplaneta4eaudiohifisideugly_wooferSteve_LeekenrhodesjholtzRon_EColonel7S7910and 1 other.
    I have a signature.
  • edited November 2023

jr- that looks great ! and nicely stocked

jr@mac