Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Off topic discussions - no politics, religion, food, or booze.

Comments

• edited December 2023

Sunday I stacked 9ft deltas with 98ft tails. Started flurrying while I was out there. Yep, I'm a dork lol.
    But there was another couple out there from the local kite club with a 14ft flow tail delta. So I wasn't the only dork!

https://i.imgur.com/I2io6C9.png
    https://i.imgur.com/D0p1sLA.png

Radio nerds might recognize the antenna tower in the background... It transmitted at a half million Watts for almost 5 years in the 1930s.

hifisideDirktajanesSilver1omoSteve_Lee6thplanetTurn2
  • It's happened, guys. I've used the last of my complimentary speaker mounting kits.

• Nah, man, this was the bituminous rope caulk. Good for sealing press-fit port tubes and not much else. LOL

• I know what it was. I remember not being able to get drivers out when it was used too. Pretty sure I threw it away because of the usage difficulty.

I was suggesting a better replacement for the same application.

• Plumber's Putty still works and keeps forever . . .

• @Steve_Lee said:
    Plumber's Putty still works and keeps forever . . .

But it stains everything it touches...

Wolf
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Oh yeah, nothing but proper gasket tape these days. I stocked up on some good stuff from McMaster for like $30.

The port tube in question was this guy. I hate that spline fitment, and I'm never sure it's 100% seated. So out comes the rope caulk and an X-acto to trim the squeeze out.

• @jhollander said:

@Steve_Lee said:
    Plumber's Putty still works and keeps forever . . .

But it stains everything it touches...

Good to know.
    Never experienced that issue myself but I was only applying a thin bead around the back of the driver rim/cabinet mating surface. I guess it has some oils in it . . .

• Dirk, I think I'd just use E6000 or Permatex black silicone for that job. I don't normally use the stock ports though and just go for PVC and a roundover.
    I have a set of cabs Meniscus built that had those ports installed, and they matched the shape of the backside of those. Recessed, rounded over, and slots for the splines. While I suppose it's a good way to ensure fitment, it's a lot of work for a ~$4 plastic port.

• edited December 2023

Whenever I install premade ports I apply a bead of clear silicone. Haven't had an issue. It sticks enough to do the job, but not so much it will do damage if you need to remove it for some reason. It's visual impact is minimal if there is any squeezeout.

• So, I spent an hour this evening trying to get Google's Bard AI to help me design an open baffle speaker. When I couldn't overcome the tautology of its replies regarding diffraction, I asked it what I should read. It told me to send an email to Sigfried Linkwitz about where to purchase his book. I shit you not.

6thplanettajanesWolf
  • He's dead, Jim.

• As out of print as his book. LOL

Steve_Lee
  • Google's AI telling you to purchase something...that sure sounds like Google. The fact that it didn't know SL had died and that book is out of print...I don't think AI is ready for primetime yet.

• @Tom_S said:
    Google's AI telling you to purchase something...that sure sounds like Google. The fact that it didn't know SL had died and that book is out of print...I don't think AI is ready for primetime yet.

I use chatgpt in the corporate environment for coding assistance, for that it rocks. But when I asked for a subwoofer alignment... It was quite lost.

• Apparently, Microsoft is pretty happy with what AI can do. They have a promotional video that they produced with their employees that are visually impaired or blind. The phrase that gets used a lot is "game-changer". It allows them to do things that were just not possible before. Just so happens that my cousin is an employee featured in the video.

• We have one app at work for doing spec work that uses AI voice-overs. It has gotten a little better in the past 6 months, but it has many issues with basic pronunciation and inflection that it could never be used for paid work. It's funny to hear how it tries to pronounce Iowa. I'm sure that will change in the next year of so.

• A couple things I've noticed from GPS, 11A is 'elevena', Pokagon is 'Poke-uh-gone', and Notestine is 'No-test-in'.
    I agree...

• Tis the season

• Three years after a fire in my shop, and my sound room is finally taking shape. And yes, the fabric is flammable.!

hifisideugly_wooferjr@mac4thtryTom_S6thplanetSteve_LeeSilver1omoWolf
  • MIT has a camera that does a trillion frames per second.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=7Z8EtlBe8Ts

Ron

tajanesjr@macSteve_Lee4thtry6thplanet
  • I remember watching something where the scientists, using a similar camera, were able to capture light moving through a small chamber. Pretty impressive considering how fast light moves.

I have a signature.
  • @jr@mac said:
    I remember watching something where the scientists, using a similar camera, were able to capture light moving through a small chamber. Pretty impressive considering how fast light moves.

If you watch the video you will see that they are doing exactly that. They are also able to see objects that are out of view of the camera based on the ability to capture reflections of the object like sonar.

jr@mac
  • They are capturing individual pulses of light at different intervals and stringing the photos/video clips together to make a video giving the effect of slow motion light travel in water. Pick it up at 2:30 (mm:ss) and listen to the words spoken . . . it's cool stuff even if the camera isn't as fast as you thought . . .

• And here I am, hoping to upgrade to a camera that can shoot 120fps 4K video. Seems totally inadequate now.

Steve_LeeEd_Perkins
  • I often feel inadequate when reading the stuff posted by all you smart guys

• My wife decided to help me break in the Subterfuges. We threw a winter solstice party and part of the prep was moving the Subterfuges out of the living room where they were hooked up to a 22 watt Onkyo receiver with the TV running through it. She couldn't wait until the day of the party to move them and of course she wanted to watch Netflix. She hollers at me that she has no sound so I go upstairs and grab the TV remote and turn up the volume on the TV. What I didn't know was that she had been playing with the receiver remote trying to get sound without any speakers connected. What do you do when there's no sound? You turn up the volume and try different inputs. After the party was over we hooked up the speakers and I hit the power button on the remote and just about took my head off. It was set to full volume on a radio station and they just screamed. Next time I do something like this I'm going to try to remember to unplug the receiver. 22 watts wasn't enough to hurt anything but it sure did make a lot of noise.

Ron

Nicholas_23jr@macTurn2Wolfjholtz6thplanetjhollanderSteve_Lee4thtry
  • edited December 2023

Lol I'm the only schmuck on my team today who showed up to work sofar. Two on PTO (which is fine), but one called off and two are NCNS afaik. I hope the last guy who works a little later hours shows up. WTH is wrong with people?