Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Off topic discussions - no politics, religion, food, or booze.

Comments

• Gonna need to change the flex line from the faucet to the T valve, the old ferrel is not seating tight. That is the problem, but an easy fix. Then it'll be all rubber seals and no issues.

• I feel for you, Wolf! I'm not as limber as I used to be. Working on plumbing is just painful these days.

• Our LG dishwasher is going strong after 14 years (age of our home). Other than a basket starting to rust on us, that is.
    Also, I'm about as limber as a 2x4 these days, need to get back to a stretching routine on top of my weightlifting.

Wolf
    I have a signature.
  • in my area we have a decent amount of calcium in the water. For slow leaks you just sit a pan under the leak to catch any drips and within a week or two the leak clogs itself =) yay laziness

Steve_Lee
  • Had my yearly blood test last week - everything until now has been fine - and the results came back with everything through the roof; my doctor sent me to Emergency as I was showing all the signs of critical kidney failure!

Four hours and $500 later, the hospital had re-tested and all was fine. So either the original lab made a huge mistake in testing, or I got someone else's results!

Rang the lab the next day: they insisted their results were accurate. In which case, I said, I've been cured of kidney failure without any treatment in a week!

A great relief for me, but I can't help thinking that someone has my results and thinks they're fine.

Geoff

Steve_LeejhollanderPWRRYDTurn2
  • I think they owe you an explanation, and your $ back

• Yes, but I think I have Buckley's. Have written them a fully documented complaint and will see what happens, but not confident that they will see reason.

I posted the comment to suggest to members that anything unusual should be double checked and to keep all documents.

Geoff

tajanes
  • edited March 20

Super happy you are ok Geoff! That's the most important thing. But yeah, I'd be mad too. I could go off on the USA medical system but it wouldn't change a thing and this forum is better if I don't.

Steve_Lee
  • I think the reason we have hobbies and real friends is to distract us from our illnesses and own-negativity so that we don't actually make ourselves ill by overly focusing upon those afflictions.

GeoffMillar
  • edited March 21

Lately, I've been battling with the VA. Had my hearing checked and surprisingly, no extreme hearing loss! Actually quite good for a near 55 year old that works in super noisy environments and enjoys rather loud hobbies! But my tinnitus, is on overload and the quieter the environment, the worse it is. VA has awarded me a 10% permanent disability on that. Next is the battle for my back, neck, and joint issues (all service related though they will at first deny it) and mental health issues.

Thinking about these things, particularly the PTSD has invoked further depression, self depreciation, and anxiety. I haven’t built a speaker now in over a year. There just hasn't been the desire to do anything creative. And, like all of you, it's not from lack of gear lol. Sometimes it's been enough just to get through the day. At 52, I was formally diagnosed with ADHD. Though I don't outwardly display the hyperactive portion. I've been trying various techniques and meds but some of them exasperated my migraines to the point that I have been hospitalized a few times.

• I am on an upward swing. I had to go off all of my meds and restart. If you have had depression meds, SSRIs, you know what that can be like. I've been seeing a counselor and am working on different aspects of my life. One. Day. At. A. Time.
    Thank you all for hearing me out and for being my friends

jr@macSteve_LeeEggguy6thplanetjhollanderTurn2tajanesugly_woofer
  • edited March 21

I hope things continue to improve and the counselor can put you on the right path. Best of luck with the VA. I'm confident you'll find some compassionate people willing listen and apply some bureaucratic pressure where needed.

The daily battles with mental illness are well known in our house. We've seen our share of ERs and psych wards over the years. My wife can't really convey what depression feels like in a way that I can really understand. My brain just isn't wired that way. For ADHD - yeah, but not for depression. When she was first diagnosed, I stumbled on a simple saying that sometimes helps ease her stress just enough that she doesn't spiral further downward. Maybe you've heard it too:

**You have already survived your worst day ever. **

Steve_Lee
  • If we can survive our own minds/imaginations, we can survive anything.

• I was diagnosed (finally) with BPD I about 12 years ago. I am medicated reasonably heavy for it. For those that may be unfamiliar with what Bipolar truly is, it is not related to anger control issues. There are rapid cycling cases, but not so rapid as a sudden outburst of anger followed by an apology. People often describe weather patterns as bipolar - both scenarios exhibit misunderstanding and downplay the seriousness of the illness.

We all live life on a sine wave of emotions. We all cycle from happy to down. Think of BPD as an extreme example. Our peaks are much higher in magnitude and generally speaking, frequency is lower (meaning peaks last longer). In extreme cases, peaks last for months and clipping occurs and distortion of reality sets in. During those peak times (plus or negative) it is impossible to function correctly in society. We lose jobs, we lose friends, we engage in risky behavior, we indulge addiction... During a manic phase, irritability is the primary driver of loss. It does not necessarily mean we are energetic and artistic (although BPD is extremely common in the artist community) but it can mean if we are already energetic and artistic (as I used to be) we take those things to extremes as well. However we can rarely actually finish anything. We are easily distracted and annoyed. I sometimes miss my manic phases - I would often be in my best physical condition during those phases. Working out was me starting something without worrying about finishing, there is no finish to exercise. I could drive and drive and drive myself in the dojo or the gym.

Enter depressive cycles, I am not going to talk much about my depressive cycles as it is, well - depressing. It is also dark with no end in sight. When you are a long cycler like me, you can expect to spend six months or even more in each phase, with very little "normal" between phases. Research suggests up to 20% of people with bipolar disorder, especially when untreated, die by suicide. A larger percentage, around 20% to 60%, attempt suicide at least once during their life. This is generally during the depressive cycle. I myself have not covertly attempted - but an argument could be made that some of my lifestyle choices may represent a long-term attempt.

Long story short - normalize mental illness and their treatments. When someone is depressed one of the worst things to say to them is "what do you have to be depressed about?" Never ever do that. If we knew, we would fix it. Instead, offer to let them talk. You may save a life.

Steve_LeeDrewsBrewsEggguyugly_woofer
    I have a signature.
  • edited March 21

That is a bit creepy as I notice such behavior in myself. Though the cycles seem to be multiple years long. But due to such long timelines it is hard to identify if it occurs on its own or is mostly triggered by outside factors.

I also seem to be affected by the seasons in reverse to how most people are. Spring gets me pretty bummed out for some reason. The only thing that seems to make sense is winter invokes a primal survival instinct that gives me an invigorating kick in the pants. But when that winter struggle goes away, the kick in the pants goes with it and takes me a couple months to readjust.

jr@macSteve_Lee
  • edited March 21

Nm

• Forgot to add, I was also diagnosed with cyclothymic disorder, now called bipolar 3. With meds, it's manageable. But always there.

Steve_Lee
  • edited March 22

All this sounds a bit like the human cycles known as Biorhythms - I follow them occasionally when I feel out of sorts as a possible explanation/crutch which helps in dealing with it until it passes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_rhythm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biorhythm_(pseudoscience)

https://facade.com/biorhythm/

• A brisk spring day Saturday. Decided to tackle the exhaust flex pipe on the wife's car. The joint that I thought was going to be tough was easy.. and the one I thought would be easy I ended up needing to drill out all 3 bolts :s . Many drill bits met their end that day.

6thplanet

• Nice day here too, got the bolts drilled/countersunk and speakers installed. I think I'm done fabbing, gotta do some body work next.

ugly_wooferTom_Sjr@machifisideKornbreadtajanesSteve_LeeGeoffMillar4thtry
  • edited March 26

Interesting build. Definitely not in Kansas anymore!
    Close to burning some (virtual) rubber.

6thplanet
  • @Steve_Lee said:
    All this sounds a bit like the human cycles known as Biorhythms - I follow them occasionally when I feel out of sorts as a possible explanation/crutch which helps in dealing with it until it passes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_rhythm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biorhythm_(pseudoscience)

https://facade.com/biorhythm/

The difference for those with bipolar disorder is that the cycles are deeper/higher than nero typical. The depressive states, particularly for bipolar 1, can last months, even years without medication. And the intensity is going to be on the manic scale, both high and low

Steve_Lee
  • Understood. Hope things get better for you all going through it - sounds too familiar at times.

• edited March 29

Insomnia sucks - supposed to be at the gym in 3 hours, not sure I will be able to make it. Dammit.

I have a signature.
  • For those who remember .... love it

• I bought 100+ CD's from Columbia House in the late 80's early 90's. Pobably only spent $100 for all of them. It was quite fun!

jr@macGeoffMillar
  • I bought a pile of them, as well. Still have most of them.

I have a signature.
  • All is right with the world, mistakes warts and all.

jr@macSteve_LeeSilver1omougly_woofer6thplanetNicholas_23