Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Off topic discussions - no politics, religion, food, or booze.

Comments

• edited March 30

@PWRRYD said:

That cartoon could be from a Bob Newhart* sketch, with him on the phone explaining to a sceptical marketing type about how to play an LP:

"so you take a big piece of plastic out of a piece of cardboard, then you wipe it with a brush, then you put it on a revolving box with a metal arm and a spike on the end, and then you - don't tell me, let me guess! Then you attach some wires to another box, then attach some more wires to two boxes as big as a refrigerator, then you finally get to listen to something?!

Don't call us, we'll call you!"

• Bob's "Introducing Tobacco to Civilisation" remains one of the funniest sketches ever. If you haven't heard it, please do so:

Geoff

6thplanetSteve_Lee
  • Coincidentally it is world bipolar day, so here is a shot to celebrate my personal mental illness.

tajanesugly_woofer
    I have a signature.
  • Tough issue to manage- all the best to you !!!

jr@mac
  • edited March 30

Am I the only one who's life this sums up pretty well?

Steve_Lee6thplanetjhollanderTurn2GeoffMillar
  • edited March 31

Here's little Walter, now 11 weeks old; he's doubled in size and is really starting to show some personality. Cuteness factor is 11.

Super friendly to people and other dogs but, strangely, not that keen on walks yet.

Being all black, it's quite hard to get a decent photo.

Off to advanced puppy school this weekend!

Geoff

jr@machifisidetajaneskenrhodesugly_wooferjhollanderColonel7Tom_S
  • He's not pure bread but he is pure of heart. This dumb beast is a blast to have around the house and wants nothing more than to make his people happy. He is a mix of pug pomeranian and whatever leftover peices were laying around; and we love him!

tajanesugly_wooferGeoffMillarjhollanderjr@macColonel7hifisideEggguy4thtryTom_S
  • Not opening? Could just be my phone.

• edited April 1

I think this link will work -

Steve_Lee
  • edited April 3

Just picked this up.

'Sucker is a good 16"+ deep. I see why folks save for digital scopes (1/4 the size and probably 4x more versatile). But it was cheeeap.

Steve_Lee6thplanet4thtry
  • I'm old, I still find an analog scope more intuitive, but I have a digital as well.

• edited April 3

When I was a kid, I went with my father to visit one of his friends, an EE working at Battelle Memorial Institute (located next to THE OSU) and his basement was full of test equipment, in the most orderly basement I have ever seen. Fond memories as he gave me an old army walkie-talkie and an old radio to take apart and play with. Way, way too cool. Why I didn’t go into EE and opted for law ???

This guy also gave me a wooden puzzle. I could not figure out how to get it apart. About a month later he told me he soaked it in boiling water. Ha

Steve_LeeDrewsBrews
  • That scope looks really clean. Nice score!

• The display is so much nicer on old analog/CRT scopes, but having the voltage measurements right on the screen are such a convince on the newer digital junk. Not to mention the size.

• I picked up this Heathkit IO-4210 10Mhz dual trace a few years ago at a local hamfest. It is 17" deep! Works great!. Manual is dated 1984. What I like about this old scope, compared to my newer digital one, is the nice, smooth continuous trace that you get when using it as a transistor curve tracer. My newer digital scope is very granulated and messy looking.

• edited April 4

Yeah I really enjoyed working with them in my college electronics courses. That and the analog multimeters. I might need to get one of those too. Not so precise, but much easier to get a ballpark value compared to numerical displays that jump around alot.

• The Simpson 260 is pretty much the gold standard. I see them on craigslist every once in a while for $75 to $150.

• I still have the 260 that I used in high school. They were phasing out the electronics class so my instructor told me to just take it.

PWRRYDSteve_Lee
  • Here’s another hobby my wife got me into. She purchased it for $10 on marketplace it was a wobbly mess but it was round ( for our wild dog) and I liked the veneer work on the tops. I’m gonna refinish it a little lighter than factory was.

Silver1omoSteve_Lee
  • The refinish Progress. It’s actually made out of some pretty good wood. I was surprised moving forward.

kenrhodestajanesSilver1omougly_wooferSteve_LeeGeoffMillarjr@mac6thplanetTurn24thtry
  • Landed a new job, will be starting right after Indy. Going back to maintenance manager role. Very excited to make quite a bit more money, as well as having direct reports again.
    It is a new position for the company, so I get to build it from the ground up which is exciting.

silverD6thplanetEd_PerkinsSilver1omohifisidePWRRYDa4eaudiougly_wooferTom_S4thtryand 6 others.
    I have a signature.
  • In SW Ohio we had a historical 68% chance at clouds for today, but got lucky that is stayed clear.

• What did you take those pics with? All I got with the phone was a blurry white orb.

• @jr@mac said:
    Landed a new job, will be starting right after Indy. Going back to maintenance manager role. Very excited to make quite a bit more money, as well as having direct reports again.
    It is a new position for the company, so I get to build it from the ground up which is exciting.

Congratulations!!!

jr@mac
  • I placed the lens of a pair of viewing glasses over the cell camera, and then zoomed way in. That is what I got.

• Not my pic, but a local photographer shot this in Sioux Falls. Pretty much what I saw peeping through the clouds.

6thplanetGeoffMillarTom_STurn2
    I have a signature.
  • Forgot to mention a serious perk of my new employer - my office will be one block away from Brad's shop... Might be dangerous, though.

PWRRYDugly_wooferjhollander6thplanetSteve_LeeTurn2
    I have a signature.
  • @Kornbread said:
    What did you take those pics with? All I got with the phone was a blurry white orb.

My cell.