Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Off topic discussions - no politics, religion, food, or booze.

Comments

• edited April 14

@ani_101 said:
    launch edition 6 cylinder?

My son got the 6 (supercharged) manual- great car. It’s dirty in the pics but it is a dark green metallic (bluish in the sun at some angles) with black roof. It had been on order for a while - but delivery was held back by Calif emission qualification. Earlier would have been in the winter - so good no snow.
    He paid a bit of a premium for a 1st edition car - but that’s what he wanted. Night and day finish from the Elise (which was a slot car, bare bones).

• Sunday funday.

Steve_Lee
  • How did that pellet stove work for you this past winter?

• @Steve_Lee said:
    How did that pellet stove work for you this past winter?

Great. It was too hot most of the time It needs a lower setting.

• Eat less food and you can feel the warmth more affordably/comfortably during the winter and save money too.

:)

• I hate drywall work, but everyone around here is so damn expensive.

• I don't mind the drywall and taping work as I get to control the mess. I'm certainly not fast but my quality is better.

hifiside
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Yeah, no dry walling from this boy.

I have a signature.
  • I hate hanging, taping, and finishing drywall. One of the very few things I'd rather pay someone else for. Right up there with installing a new roof, tree removal, and sewer augering...

6thplanet
  • The harbor freight drywall lift was my savior when rehabing my house. Taping/mudding still sucks. I have to re-teach myself the technique each time. Vancouver Carpenter channel on youtube has some real juicy tips imo. I adopted his hock and trowel technique and can realy power through stuff without wearing out my fingers.

• Finishing up with a large wet sanding sponge can almost eliminate the need for finish sanding . . .

• Fuse tape plus a 30 inch knife has helped me get very good butt joints.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • I picked up an "intercooler" for when the blower goes back on...😬

tajanesSteve_Leeugly_woofer
  • Atta boy. I used the same intercooler when I was running 8's. A 50 Hp dry NOS jet adds 100+ Hp under boost. 2nd gear only kinda power/torque :o

6thplanet
  • Looks like Heart is performing again, I just found this clip while YouTube surfing:

I can't think of another singer who sounds better at 70 something than they did at 20 something. Killer riff, too.

Geoff

Steve_Lee
  • Yes, and they're coming to Des Moines. I saw them eons ago at the Iowa State Fair and they were fabulous.

https://iowaeventscenter.com/events/detail/heart

• I remember seeing them in the late 70s here in CR. They were great and so was the contact high!

• @Ron_E said:
    Yes, and they're coming to Des Moines. I saw them eons ago at the Iowa State Fair and they were fabulous.

We have great nephews in Iowa City, will tell them they have to see the show and get some real music.

Geoff
    >

• edited April 21

Finally pulled out the o-scope and signal generator that I picked up for cheap. I got some 1x/10x probes from Ali. I was able to adjust the 10x on one, but the other seemed like the pot just stripped out or wouldn't turn from the tiny screwdriver. Oah well, was only $8 shipped for the pair of probes.

I pulled the cover on the B&K E-310B signal generator. I don't know much about testing old equipment so I just checked that the caps were not already popped or shorted. Hooked it to the dim bulb tester. I didn't detect any light from the 40watt filament, so not drawing much. The caps didn't get warm or anything so I proceeded.

The square wave looks ok. Maybe not quite 50/50 on timing, but apparently the pot on the board facing the front of the chassis can adjust that. Unfortunately there is an amplitude oscillation on the sine wave. That, I'm not quite sure where to look. My electronic troubleshooting skill tends to rely on dumb luck more than anything.

They can be saved though.. Here is a guy bringing one back from a much worse functioning state.
    I think it is interesting that the circuit uses a little incandescent bulb as an integral part of the oscillator.

ugly_woofertajanes4thtry
  • I have a Heathkit IG-18 generator that uses an incandescent bulb. I googled and found this description.

"3) The use of an incandescent lamp for AGC (automatic gain control), as pioneered by Bill Hewlett, gives really amazing performance compared to other costlier and more complicated schemes -- one simple part replaces many other parts and works about as well. The lamp has a positive temperature coefficient -- as more current flows through it, it gets hotter, and its filament resistance increases. In the IG-18, the lamp is the feedback leg of the positive feedback loop, with the ground leg being a 750 ohm potentiometer that coarsely adjusts the amount of feedback; the lamp's resistance variation with output level supplies the fine control. This maintains the operating point of the system at a good place for both stability and (relatively) low THD."

Steve_Lee6thplanet4thtry
  • I've seen that used before and is the ultimate KISS.

• What's the period of the oscillation on the sine wave? Could it be PS ripple?

Ron

• edited April 21

@Ron_E said:
    What's the period of the oscillation on the sine wave? Could it be PS ripple?

Ron

If I was smart I would have made note of the time division setting so I could make a ballpark estamate. Since it looks like I may have had close to a half wave on screen. It seemed like I had to trick the scope into triggering by slowly adjusting the frequency output. Hopefully I will have the same luck when I check it out again.

Almost glad the wave generator isn't perfect.. Gives me an excuse to use this scope more. B)

Steve_Lee
  • Today - 25 April here - marks "ANZAC Day", which commemorates Australian and New Zealand troops landing at The Dardanelles in 1915.

Australia had only been a nation since 1901, was still very much part of the British Empire and without a national identity. Although the campaign was a failure, we use ANZAC Day to commemorate and thank our veterans for their service.

One of my great uncles survived the landings and campaign, but lost two of his brothers; he then survived battles in France, so he was a lucky man. He only retired at 80-something and lived to 99.

My grandfather, also a decorated veteran, served in France in WWI and survived, otherwise I wouldn't be writing this. He was a despatch rider, rather a dangerous job. I never knew him as he was killed, ironically, in a motor scooter accident.

Geoff

Steve_LeeTom_SEggguy6thplanet
  • Much appreciated Geoff! I also love watching how much the whole group of Allied powers worked together in WWII.
    There is no way one of us could have done what ALL of us did back then.

• I attempted to book A Lyft from airport to hotel earlier, came back at $50! Waited 15 minutes and checked again it was down to $27. The world is weird.

I have a signature.
  • @Ron_E said:
    I have a Heathkit IG-18 generator that uses an incandescent bulb. I googled and found this description.

"3) The use of an incandescent lamp for AGC (automatic gain control), as pioneered by Bill Hewlett, gives really amazing performance compared to other costlier and more complicated schemes -- one simple part replaces many other parts and works about as well. The lamp has a positive temperature coefficient -- as more current flows through it, it gets hotter, and its filament resistance increases. In the IG-18, the lamp is the feedback leg of the positive feedback loop, with the ground leg being a 750 ohm potentiometer that coarsely adjusts the amount of feedback; the lamp's resistance variation with output level supplies the fine control. This maintains the operating point of the system at a good place for both stability and (relatively) low THD."

I have the older Heathkit IG-72. It also uses a small 3 watt candelabra lamp in the positive feedback loop to create the oscillation. Amazing.

6thplanetSteve_LeeDrewsBrewsTom_S
  • edited April 27

My sister, three brothers and I are scattered from west of Omaha, western Iowa to the Des Moines area. We all got to be in tornado warned areas yesterday, but no damage or injuries. In fact, I'm aware of no casualties thru what was likely the worst outbreak day in decades in this area.

Elkhorn, NE

Harlan, IA

6thplanet
  • The pictures & video of those are insane! Glad they missed you.

• Guess Oklahoma got hammered yesterday, too :(

I have a signature.