Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Off topic discussions - no politics, religion, food, or booze.

Comments

• Anything more than 4 minutes I start getting fatigued unless there is a track or two I truly enjoy.

I'm also a fan of "run what you brung", which is exactly why we do it that way at Iowa/DDIY. Always interesting to hear what people listen to on their own time. My personal demos are rarely what I listen to for fun, though.

That being said, one minute is too long IMHO for individual cuts. I target 30-45 seconds. I also never include tracks that have limited dynamic range. Those are the ones that get old really fast, similar to a lot of the pop music people might use for example.

At the end of the day, I do encourage people to engage in open dialogue - but feedback should generally be positive unless the recipient is asking specifically for a critical evaluation. It is also important to realize that we all have a different aesthetic - criticizing each other over what stuff looks like borders on poor tact. I think we can all agree that there are designs at these events that are less than pleasing to our personal eye, but I think we should all agree that it is generally worth keeping that to ourselves. No need to generate friction between peers. This coming from the guy who builds some pretty boring looking speakers - I just target function over form, I guess. I shoot for some dimensional objectives I personally like and go from there.

Steve_Lee4thtry
    I have a signature.
  • When is Iowa this year, new thread?

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • New thread, working out some logistics.

jhollander
    I have a signature.
  • @jr@mac said:
    Day 8, no tobacco. Yay me.

Good luck, JR! I smoked for 19 years and quit cold turkey in 1991 (23 yrs ago). It takes some serious will power, but it can be done.

Mikeg
  • I think your math is a bit off there, Bill... but congrats!

4thtry
  • edited August 6

Oops! Guess I thought it was still 2014! I quit 33 years ago! How time flies!

jr@machifiside
  • edited August 7

Still tobacco free, but more than a few Miller Lites in tonight. Deadlift day should be interesting tomorrow morning.

I have a signature.
  • Day 9? That's awesome!

• @PWRRYD said:
    Day 9? That's awesome!

10 days, brothers. Ten fucking days!

Ron_EMikeg
    I have a signature.
  • Team Schwefel, come on board.

• Of all the house tracks I've heard, I though JR's selection was really good at DIY Dakota this year. But I agree - hearing the same tracks over and over all day can get really fatiguing.

• It could, but for a one day event it's really the best way to judge a bunch of speakers. Especially with how good all the entries are becoming.

jhollander
  • But are we really trying to judge the speackers against other ones? I think it should be to just show off your project to your peers. "Here's your 10 minutes"

ugly_wooferSteve_Leejr@macGeoffMillar
  • I'm trying to judge if I like the speaker and implementation. The same 3 1-minute racks would be short enough to stand, but familiar enough to not have to guess or concentrate on what the track is suppose to sound like.

I was surprised how easier it was. 6 hours of the same tracks was much better than I thought it would be.

Billet6thplanetSteve_Lee
  • Not everyone can be front and center. And im not going to be fighting to get a good seat. But being off center towards the back after the sound has smashed into 20 heads... They all start to sound the same barring any glaring issues. It is what it is. But that is one thing that tempers my enthusiasm for the gatherings.

Steve_Lee
  • Need to find a small movie theatre with elevated seating like an amphitheater to rent over a weekend during the daytime and clear-out around 5:00PM . . . I used to know a theatre manager in my youth and our little band would use one of the theatres for practice during the winters there - the sound was night and day from playing in self storage warehouse . . .

• edited August 7

We had one, the Harris Center at Grinnell. Not sure how I feel about that room vs the more common hotel meeting rooms (ie the current Iowa and Indiana rooms). My speakers seem to sound almost the same in my livingroom and the normal hotel meeting rooms. Grinnell was great but very different.

• edited August 7

I rented one for DDIY 2014 as well. It isn t what you think it would be.

I have a signature.
  • Border-line anechoic . . .

• @Steve_Lee said:
    Border-line anechoic . . .

Not really.

I have a signature.
  • artificially . . . ?

• Theaters amplify, that's what they do.

I have a signature.
  • I don't wish to disagree as I had stated a Movie Theatre with elevated seating LIKE but not specifically an amphitheater. The former is rectangular and has sound suppression all around while the later has sloped walls like a megaphone to project sound.
    Anyways the idea was a passing one and evidently not favorable - carry-on, guys.

• Walk around a typical movie theater sometime.

I have a signature.
  • @jr@mac said:
    Walk around a typical movie theater sometime.

and chirp like Sheldon

jr@macSteve_Lee6thplanet
  • Any LPG tank valve experts here?
    My grill tank just hit empty and a newly refilled tank will not produced gas.
    Another new tank does produce gas.
    The failed one doesn't seem able to open the spring seal on the threaded connector - must be some internal fault?

• Time to pull the Blue Rhino swap.

I have a signature.
  • I fired Blue Rhino/Amerigas via the State inspectors from my property last year and this little tank is from a local LPG company - Probably need to return it to the place I bought from for a replacement.

I suspect you are saying that the tank is faulty without saying it.

• OK, got it working just now - it was stored in the garage and it was 97* here today and probably about 130* in the garage where it was stored - got shaken in transit to the grill on the porch - over pressured - locked-out internally.

Had to release the overload by unscrewing the regulator hose connection until it blew off briefly then reconnect to grill.

GTG, now . . .

• First one assembled. This was kind of a test to see if I had all the parts and pieces gathered up. It worked as designed👍🏻 Still working on the rear sticker, that's the last piece of the puzzle.

silverDjr@macSteve_Lee4thtryKornbreadugly_wooferTom_Sjhollanderhifiside