Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

8" 3-way coming soon

Comments

• I'll share what I get, not a problem.

Just remember I take those plots as part of my method - they should not be confused with Zaph or HiFi Compass.

I have a signature.
  • Brad is the man!

Steve_LeeSilver1omotajanesjhollanderTurn2joeybuttsGowaThumperTom
    I have a signature.
  • Well.... HOT DAMN !

• Shop life FTW!! 👍🏼

• Obviously showing-off his CNC router programming skills . . .

• @jr@mac said:
    I'll share what I get, not a problem.

Just remember I take those plots as part of my method - they should not be confused with Zaph or HiFi Compass.

Not a problem. I appreciate Zaph's and HiFi Compass' measurements for what they are - standardized and repeatable. But I'll personally get more out of seeing measurements on a real baffle and seeing them implemented in a real design.

Steve_Lee
  • Very nice! All the parts fit together the first time....what's that like?

dcibelSteve_LeePWRRYDWolf6thplanetjr@mac
  • @Tom_S said:
    Very nice! All the parts fit together the first time....what's that like?

I don't know, Brad's assembling for me.

jhollanderSteve_Lee
    I have a signature.

• They are home, and Mrs JR got a little listen to the big MTM.

squamishdroc6thplanetSilver1omoNicholas_23Steve_LeehifisideTurn2ThumperTom
    I have a signature.
  • edited March 2023

Looking forward to hearing this project in Iowa. They look great.

jr@mac
  • @PWRRYD said:
    Looking forward to hearing this project in Iowa. They look great.

I'm going to let the finish cure for a few days longer and install drivers later this week.

I have a signature.
  • hifisideSteve_LeeSilver1omokenrhodes
    I have a signature.
  • It fit!!!!

Steve_Lee
  • @hifiside said:
    It fit!!!!

I had to take about 1/64" off of the edge of the port tubes to get it in there, and was still a little snug. If you opened it up to 5. 27 or so it would be perfect.

I have a signature.

• I will change it in your CNC file. I like to use some of these to go back as reference for sizes. Thank you.

jr@mac
  • Some measurements

Tweeter/Midrange/Woofer distortion

Set measurement level to 90db/1M on tweeter axis. Midrange is very impressive at these levels. It is also more sensitive than the ribbon. Ribbon measured with 20uF series cap.

Drivers raw on baffle:

Midrange has the signature dome mid response with the dipperino there. Nothing to lose sleep over. Tweeter is very flat on baffle. Woofer has a total shitshow of a breakup, and it was reflected in the impulse response:

Off to modeling.

hifisideSteve_LeeColonel7Silver1omougly_woofer6thplanetsquamishdroc
    I have a signature.
  • The mid is definitely a Beast Mode level driver.

Steve_Leehifiside
    I have a signature.
  • Wouldn't his combo of drivers be better suited to a 10" or larger woofer, JR?

• @Steve_Lee said:
    Wouldn't his combo of drivers be better suited to a 10" or larger woofer, JR?

I would work with either size. I'm not sure "better" is necessarily the best way to phrase that question.

Steve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • Here are some preliminary models:

Have a pile of components on my desk and hope to wire things up tonight and start the process of tweaking.

Silver1omoSteve_Leesquamishdroce6zion
    I have a signature.
  • Four coils missing in that picture, by the way.

Gonna be a bigun.

I have a signature.
  • Not a typical JR crossover ;)

• @PWRRYD said:
    Not a typical JR crossover ;)

No, it isn't but that mid deserves attention to detail.

hifisideSteve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • Do you mind going back to the measurements and letting me know if this a correct interpretation...(ignoring the mid as you have covered that pretty clearly)

1. The tweeter distortion is okay above 2Khz and even better staying above 2.5Khz. The on-baffle, on-axis SPL curve looks quite good.

2. The woofer actually looks like it does pretty good from a distortion perspective, I assume the breakup you see in the impulse response is simply the jaggedness rather than a nice smooth curve? In a three way, even crossed higher to a dome midrange the breakup won't be a deal breaker, but if you wanted to use this in a 8" two-way you would need a robust tweeter to cross low...like 1.5khz LR4 or lower??

• IMO, the tweeter HD is good above 4k. -40dB is 1%.

Steve_Lee
  • On the distortion plots, is White 2nd or 3rd order?

• @Tom_S said:
    On the distortion plots, is White 2nd or 3rd order?

Hi Tom, there is a legend in the bottom right corner of the graphs. Pretty sure D2 = 2nd order and is yellow while D3 = 3rd order and is grey.

• Ah yes - I completely missed that!

• This midrange is pretty badass. Outclasses the tweeter, that's for sure. I was totally expecting rising distortion below 600Hz but it just isn't there. High sensitivity plus the ability to play lower than you'd think is a hit.

However, the response is not easy to work with so I had to hit it with that hammer of a XO.

The crossover cost is worth it on this.

6thplanetColonel7GowaSteve_Leesquamishdroc
    I have a signature.