Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

8" 3-way coming soon

Comments

• Officially hit voicing stage.

hifisideColonel76thplanetBryan@MACSilver1omoGowaTurn24thtry
    I have a signature.
  • That didn't take long and they look great.

• @Steve_Lee said:
    That didn't take long and they look great.

Spent a lot of hours on measurements, makes voicing easier.

Steve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • @jr@mac said:

However, the response is not easy to work with so I had to hit it with that hammer of a XO.

The crossover cost is worth it on this.

I know you love your minimalist xos, but with 2 NPE caps for the 60 and 100 that looks quite reasonable compared to some of the "real"(and maybe unnecessary) hammers out there.

• Ditto for the DSA 8". Would love to see a distortion sweep. I tested but returned the DSA 12 last year and it was pretty good, just didn't quite fit the project I was trying to work up and Lord knows I did not need to add another driver to my basement stash...

• Charlie, I posted what I got up a ways in this thread.

I have a signature.
  • @a4eaudio said:

@jr@mac said:

However, the response is not easy to work with so I had to hit it with that hammer of a XO.

The crossover cost is worth it on this.

I know you love your minimalist xos, but with 2 NPE caps for the 60 and 100 that looks quite reasonable compared to some of the "real"(and maybe unnecessary) hammers out there.

I'll post current iteration later, I was able to do away with one notch filter.

Steve_Lee
    I have a signature.

• After several hours of LMT (listen, measure, tweak) I got Mrs JR's approval.
    I'll try to assemble crossovers tomorrow and post final measurements etc.

Not today though. Have errands and gym to do this AM, and am going to install a system in a friend's house...

Funny story of how I ended up with two of those receivers.

Anyways, my wife's best friends and they are a lovely couple so we bought them a receiver and some of you may remember these little 3-ways.

Happy snowy Saturday!

Colonel7
    I have a signature.
  • FWIW, here are some snapshots from Xsim

Crossover:

Modeled response:

Modeled impedance:

Measured was pretty close to the model. I deliberately put the notch at ~1500 due to some off-axis issues with the midrange driver. It is an excellent motor with a somewhat flawed dome, sadly. Worth the effort to hammer it in to shape but not everyone is going to feel that way - not for what $100 can buy you in cone mids. I'm glad to guinea pig this shit, though. I do recommend the driver - just be warned it is not easy to work with.

Not sure I'll get to soldering today, going to cook sunday dinner for the kids and hang out with Brad for a bit but if I do get to it, I'll post some actual measurements.

6thplanetkenrhodesSteve_Lee4thtrye6zion
    I have a signature.
  • kenrhodes
    I have a signature.
  • I might be spoiled by Viawave, but that GRS just isn't doing it for me. Maybe I need to notch the impedance peak out of it.

They are pretty well buttoned up.

I have a signature.
  • @jr@mac said:
    I might be spoiled by Viawave, but that GRS just isn't doing it for me.

From what I hear about Viawaves, there are a LOT of ribbon tweeters that are not going to do it for you if that is your reference.

jr@mac
  • Raaaaaaal! =)

Silver1omojr@mac6thplanet
  • @a4eaudio said:

@jr@mac said:
    I might be spoiled by Viawave, but that GRS just isn't doing it for me.

From what I hear about Viawaves, there are a LOT of ribbon tweeters that are not going to do it for you if that is your reference.

I might bring a new Viawave design to Iowa this year.

I have a signature.
  • Adding these

I have a signature.
  • Much improved tweeter performance.

Bass is pretty lean despite transfer functions showing full BSC. Guess I should have measured the woofers before designing cabinets. They sound like very underdamped sealed bass. Not unpleasant, just not as "meaty" as I was targeting. This is with 1.2ohm series resistance keep in mind.

Steve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • I'm sharing my trials and tribulations on this design because I think documenting failure is important lest people start thinking everyone else is without flaw.

Steve_Leekenrhodes4thtry6thplanetColonel7Turn2ScottSBryan@MAC
    I have a signature.
  • Thank you!

• @jr@mac said:
    I'm sharing my trials and tribulations on this design because I think documenting failure is important lest people start thinking everyone else is without flaw.

Well hell, if documenting failure is a thing I'd better get to work!

6thplanetColonel7tajanesPWRRYDSteve_Lee4thtryWolfScottS
  • Added Fs notch on the mid tonight. Guys, this is an expensive ass design. Sounds good now, but for around a fucking grand it better.

Check out the class A bias heat coming from my amp.

Steve_Leehifisidea4eaudiojhollanderGowaWolf6thplanetTurn2tajanesSilver1omoand 3 others.
    I have a signature.
  • Looks good and you have the low-end covered, now.
    How do you like that dome mid?

• I've had a few IPA so take that in to consideration...

The mid is outstanding, but a total pain the ass. I would not recommend to anyone intermediate level or lower.

Colonel7
    I have a signature.
  • Thanks for the candid response - I'll not live long enough to get good at passive XO like you guys so I'll stick to DSP where able and ask for help where I cannot.
    Great site/group here, btw.

• That is the thing with dome mids. Done right, they sound great! Getting there can be difficult and costly, and Fs comp is almost a guarantee.

• @Wolf said:
    That is the thing with dome mids. Done right, they sound great! Getting there can be difficult and costly, and Fs comp is almost a guarantee.

On a build I did years ago using the MB Quart mid from Madisound I did not use a comp - but I also took the factory chamber off and put a bigger one on. Lowered the Fs considerably and reduced the magnitude of the impedance peak.

Not an option on this bad boy. Now that it is hammered in to shape, it is definitely the star of the show. The tweeter sounds cheap in comparison - if I had instead spent $90 on a dome tweeter... It sounds fine, but it sounds like a $25 tweeter in a well implemented design.

I have a signature.
  • Oh, the comp I put together for the mid uses that 75uF cap from Apex, jr so I finally found a use for them lol.

I am a sucker for good value caps. I bought eight of those.

I have a signature.
  • @jr@mac said:. I would not recommend to anyone intermediate level or lower.

I guess that leaves me out. :p

6thplanetPWRRYDWolfe6zion
  • Dial it in with DSP and you're done. I dunno why we like to inflict pain on ourselves with passive parts on low crossover points...

charlielaub
  • @tktran said:
    Dial it in with DSP and you're done. I dunno why we like to inflict pain on ourselves with passive parts on low crossover points...

It's manly... ha

WolfSteve_Lee
  • I like to sell/giveaway speakers. DSP is silly for a guy like me.

Plus I enjoy the process, as do many of us.

Plus suppressing a resonance at Fs is not something DSP can do, and it is necessary on a lot of drivers.

I know you are itching for a debate on this, so that's all I'll say about DSP.

Steve_LeeTurn2
    I have a signature.