Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

2023 PE Speaker Design Competition

Comments

• Wish I was going to be there with ya'll - maybe someday. Next year is Axpona, so MWAF is out for 2024. Maybe 2025.

I have a signature.
  • I think you are looking at the website. We are talking about the email to people who have already registered and includes updated information, such as demo tracks and the fact that they decided to start at 8:30am Saturday.

• I would certainly contact PE. My guess is the e-mail is correct and the other is a copy/paste from the previous year that didn't get updated.

• edited July 2023

@Ed_Perkins said:
    ... a copy/paste from the previous year that didn't get updated.

It's not that it wasn't updated. When posting the announcement for this year's SDC they intended to start at 9:00 am just like in past years. But because of the number of entries they are choosing to start at 8:30am and made a point to stress this in the email.

• Kind of strange that the email did not mention the open unlimited on Friday.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Looks like we are going to have a packed house on Saturday. Thinking that I may want to reduce my tweeter padding resistors just a tad to compensate. A room packed full of people tends to darken the tonal balance somewhat.

Steve_Lee
  • I never do that to suit a different room. Even when others have, I've been of the opinion that the speakers were brighter than necessary.

• Once I sat at a table in front of my speakers to see if that made a difference. It didn't.

• edited July 2023

I have done that too, with a BARE table, and the difference was slight. Loaded with books or objects was less noticeable.

Not really any different an experience than sitting on a high-backed couch, and observing with head against the back vs leaning forward away from it.

• There must be a fairly significant suckout band of my comfy recliner in our family room because I have to always check the "leaning forward" when voicing a new project.

• edited July 2023

There is one day left to register a speaker project for judging. From the PE event web page:

Limit 2 entries per person. THE LAST DAY FOR REGISTRATION IS JULY 21, 2023.

• I believe that you can still just walk in and register the same day.

jhollander
  • I must have had some dyslexia kick in :o . I thought last day to register was the 12th. doh

• I assume everyone got the new email? Definitely a packed house this year.

• edited July 2023

" due to unfortunate circumstances, Andrew Jones will not be able to judge this year’s competition. Peter Noerbaek (founder of PBN Audio) will join our panel of judges."

Hope those unfortunate circumstances are nothing bad.

• Also, from the SDC page:

Sorry, registration is now closed.
    Due to the high volume of entries this year, we will not be accepting walk in registrations.

• Peter is a tough judge, but I feel he is consistent and fair in what he has judged for us prior.

• None of you have 78 element crossovers, though, not sure how impartial he can be.

Wolfa4eaudio6thplanetugly_wooferSteve_LeePWRRYD
    I have a signature.
  • @Wolf said:
    Peter is a tough judge, but I feel he is consistent and fair in what he has judged for us prior.

Yeah he consistently does not like anything.

John

PWRRYD6thplanetKEtheredge87
  • I can't say that is the case, joking or not.

PWRRYDjr@mac
  • Wasn't he the judge when you won Ben?

PWRRYDjr@mac
  • @jr@mac said:
    None of you have 78 element crossovers, though, not sure how impartial he can be.

I might have about 78 biquds in my DSP crossover, if that counts...

jr@macPWRRYDSteve_LeesilverD
  • @ugly_woofer said:
    Wasn't he the judge when you won Ben?

Ironically, this years' lineup is the same as 2015 when I did.

jr@mac
  • Just out of curiosity, do you think that it improves your chances of winning?

• I don't know that it does, how could i, ironic nonetheless. My work will show what it's worth in the ears of the listeners. It was just an observation, and you brought it up.

• I thought it was very ironic that Andrew was going to judge and that I'm bringing a coaxial design. That's since changed too, but the irony is thick there. I can't make this stuff up!

• 11 days to go... is anyone nearly or completely done with their SD project?

• I'm completely finished for a change. Last year I spent 25 hours the last two days before the contest finishing the Minions. I was exhausted and barely functional. This is a much better year!

charlielaubBilletDanP