Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

2023 PE Speaker Design Competition

Comments

• Ben will you have the theme for InDIYana 2024 before MWAF? I'm hoping we still get a discount from PE that day.

a4eaudio
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Yep, end of June or early July as usual.

• I am hoping to be there.

My entry might look remarkably similar to my InDIYana entry, but different... :)

• I really wanted to be there this year, but it isn't in the cards. I am still holding out hope that GR will happen in September, that will consume my travel money.

I have a signature.
  • I'm making some progress on my project, which I decided to call "cones-a-flapping". Here is a shot of one of the woofer panels that holds four Satori WO24P. I am very happy with the predecessor loudspeaker that I created after returning from the 2022 SDC. Cones-a-flapping makes use of the exact same design concept and I have decided to kick the driver quality up a notch or two and ditch the subwoofers. This asks a lot of more of the woofers, and the Satori drivers are certainly very capable for their size.

I am patting myself on the back for (finally) attempting something a bit more sophisticated in the finishing department. No bare particleboard this year! What we've got here is still very rudimentary - it's an MDF baffle with some pebble texture PU 2mm material glued on. The back is painted black with a support spine out of unfinished wood, which gives a nice contrast IMO. Four black steel L brackets help to stabilize the spine. The panel is affixed to a base that has a textured gray finish.

I decided to reverse the lower two drivers to reduce 2nd order distortion a bit, which is the dominant order below 100Hz for these drivers. Even with four woofers per side there will be some significant excursion demand, so reducing distortion is no a bad idea.

Each woofer panel will sit inside a wireframe scaffold (not shown) that defines the rest of the speaker. The mid and tweeter are suspended inside the scaffold, without baffle.

jr@mac6thplanetkenrhodesSteve_LeePWRRYDjohnny5jzugly_wooferColonel74thtryjhollanderand 3 others.
  • Those woofs are gorgeous. Guessing Open Unlimited category?

• edited June 2023

Yes. I'm sort of forced into it because I only design active systems with DSP. Even if I built a speaker from a $20 full ranger in a cardboard box I would still have to go "unlimited", so I am really taking that word to heart with this project.

Steve_LeePWRRYD6thplanet
  • For good luck, I submitted my registration today (7/11). I'll be in the Dayton category with the Zonkers and the >300 with Retrospeak. Both speakers are complete, except that I still need to finish adjusting my 9" high stands to tilt the speakers back by 5 degrees.

Silver1omoSteve_LeeBillet
  • edited July 2023

Decided it is finally time for the Tatankas to come out and play. Haven't heard them since they were last banished from the living room over a year ago lol. They will get ripped to shreds in the over $300 category, but just want to participate for once. They didn't cost that much at the time, but still would not have quite fit in the "under $200" pre-inflation category. And the prices on these drivers have shot up a ton since then!

I put the Tuxedo T-shirts back up as my daily drivers again. Forgot how much I like em. Should have just entered those in the under $300 category and had two pair there. Oah well, My brain has been stuck on other summer things.

jr@mac4thtrykenrhodesBilletSteve_Lee
  • edited July 2023

I registered yesterday in the under $300.00 category.

Any idea how many typically are in that group?

All I need to do now is finish the speaker, it isn't even glued up yet...![]

6thplanettajanescharlielaubGowa
  • There are typically around 50 entries at Dayton total. Typically less than 10 in Unlimited show, so that is an average of <14 for the other 3 categories. I will have my Bottleships in <300, and Monoculus in >300.

DaveFred
  • Email today...
    Hello from Parts Express!

We are very much looking forward to seeing you at the Speaker Design Competition August 4-5!

We are also excited to host the event at the same venue as last year which we consider ideal, allowing us to implement feedback from judges and participants.

• Based on the majority of feedback, judging will once again take place in a room where all contestants can hear the speakers auditioned on the same tracks in each category.
    • Once your project has been reviewed by the judges, you can then proceed to the designated ‘jam room’ where contestants will have the opportunity to play their speakers for other contestants and guests with a ten-minute max from set-up.
    • The same tracks used for judging will be available in the jam room via a lossless digital file. Contestants can provide their own music if they prefer.
    • There will be an Onkyo C-7030 single-disc CD player available as well as Spotify.
      Participation in the ‘jam room’ is voluntary and does not affect final contest results.

• Contest participants will be voting in each of the four categories and for Fan Favorite.

• Bonus access to the Warehouse Garage Sale (at Parts Express) Friday, August 4th from 4pm-6pm and additional Storewide Savings of 20% both Friday and Saturday! Discount available in-person at our Showroom or online.

The song selections by category are as follows:
    I can't post the table from my phone but will post the track list when I'm on my PC

• So, we have everyone hearing every speaker in the judging room? Fantastic! I missed that last year.

• We also get to vote! I'm super excited to get to listen back to back to everyone's designs.

• It's interesting, because contestants can be in the same room as the judges AND there will be the jam room. Curious how that will play out.

Here is the track list:

DrummerSteve_Lee
  • Well, this is good news. The old format was so much better; glad to see it come back! Looks like the 20% storewide discount is back as well!! I'm a little confused, however, about how the "judging-room/jam-room" swapout process is going to work. This facility is huge and last year we had to truck our speakers quite a distance to reach the jam room. As a result, I don't see myself spending any time at all in the jam room.

• Agreed, there's no way I'm gong to the Jam room if I'm going to miss hearing other speakers.

• I wonder where they'll set it up at? Maybe the concert hall looking room, back to the left? Either way was nice to get that email. I registered last night, too.

• I like the idea for this year's event but am scratching my head to figure out which room will be the room in which everyone can listen during the demo/judging while at the same time there is a room large enough to serve as the jam room where many people can gather and listen. I think 6thplanet's hunch may be correct, that they will be using some of the theater space, etc. maybe for the jam room?

• The jam room was back to the right, guessing that'll be the same.

• edited July 2023

Yeah when I read that it seemed like they didn't quite think that one through. I figured everyone will just be in the main judging area and the jam room will be pretty much vacant. Unless anyone actually wants to chat.

• With the 3 judges right up front, it can be hard to hear what the entries sound like and it would probably be easier in the jam room. As far as judging the entries against each other, I'm probably in the minority, but I just have no interest.

• I'm not a competitive person at all, and I doubt my skills will ever really be competitive anyway. So I guess I'm just in it to participate.

• My experience from last year was that, due to all the moving around from staging room to evaluation room to jam room and back to the staging room, I completely missed most of the other speakers in my category. I am hopefully optimistic that this year's setup will permit each builder to remain in the room while the rest of the category is being evaluated so that nothing is missed. It might also cut down on the number of moves within the facility.

The other aspect of the new approach is that the listening space will have to be larger. This has implications for room gain, which can be helpful with smaller speakers. My project included subwoofers last year. The room gain in the evaluation room was HUGE, way more than I wanted or intended. Then later in the jam room the subs, which I had to place out in the room next to the speakers due to the choice of crossover point, were comparatively underwhelming. It will be interesting to see how this pans out with the new arrangement.

• One thing that appeals to me regarding the jam room is listening to other's demo tracks. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I also appreciate that PE took feedback into consideration and is at least trying to improve the experience.

• I'm glad it's returning to the former procedure with regard to the judging room.
    Charlie, I know you hadn't attended until last year, so you don't know how it was prior. I like being able to hear all of them from one spot rather than missing more than half by changing rooms. It cuts down on movement and chaos, and flows easier over the course of the day. I missed so many last year.

I bet they are going to use the bigger area as well.

I hope you also all saw that Saturday starts at 8:30 this year, not 9am.

charlielaub
  • Says registration is 8:30, classes at 9

• @6thplanet said:
    Says registration is 8:30, classes at 9

Per the email, right after the list of demo tracks...

"Please note that we will be starting the competition at 8:30am on Saturday morning due to the number of entries."

• I wish they had a volume limit in the jam room. I know, I know, I'm an old man, now get off my lawn!

Steve_LeeBillet