Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

DakotaDIY 2017

Comments

• Better bring the Gold-Bond. 
    I have a signature.
  • What's the plan for Friday? I may be rolling in mid evening and I'd like to unload speakers and unwind a bit.

Jim
  • Shoot me a call when you hit town, Jim. We can meet and unload. 6059409651
    I have a signature.
  • Is anyone interested in buying my four MCM 55-2669 woofers?  They have been mounted but are in mint condition with only an hour of play time.  I really like these woofers but have already use this model in a previous project.  How does $50 for all 4 sound?  I also have four SB16PFC woofers if anyone is interested.  They were $25 each new, how about $50 for all 4?  They are in mint condition as well.  I just dont want to load these drivers up, bring them to SD, only to bring them back home.  I also have 4 more of the Max Fidelity AP130G 5.25" woofers.  Any interest guys?  Let me know in the next couple days.  Thanks.
  • edited June 2017
    No informal meet on Friday Evening?
  • There is, Ani. We can hang at venue for a while. I also want to go out, as well. 
    I have a signature.
  • Craig, I actually need 4 of those woofers. Consider them sold unless someone else got there first. Leave them at home, and we can talk price + shipping at the event. I'm flying in, so lugging them back isn't an option.
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • jr@mac said:
    There is, Ani. We can hang at venue for a while. I also want to go out, as well. 
    Do you have a ball park time you'll be at the venue and will hang out before going out?

Jim
  • JP, which woofers are you interested in?
  • The 55-2669, sorry somehow I forgot to mention that
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • We can collect at the venue around 4 or so if you like. 
    I have a signature.
  • jr@mac said:
    We can collect at the venue around 4 or so if you like. 
    I'm probably not going to arrive in town before 6:30 - 7:00. Is that too late?

Jim
  • Not at all - we can work with that :)

No beer in the venue until later in the evening. Not supposed to have any in there anyways, but they didn't bother us in 2015 as long as we were not throwing beer cans everywhere.
    I have a signature.
  • jr@mac said:
    Not at all - we can work with that :)

No beer in the venue until later in the evening. Not supposed to have any in there anyways, but they didn't bother us in 2015 as long as we were not throwing beer cans everywhere.
    Thanks JR! I appreciate it.

However, I'm a bit concerned that I can't throw beer cans and break things. How will we have any fun??? :p

Jim
    Turn2PWRRYDkennykJasonPjr@mac4thtry
  • I should be able to make it by 6 too, on friday
  • I'll be leaving Rockford early Friday morning and arriving in SF's around 3:30.  I'll check in at the hotel then be ready to meet anyone anywhere.
  • As you all probably know by now, between my day job and designing speakers, I don't have much time any more to frequent the forums. But I'm really looking forward to coming to my first Dakota DIY. I'm bringing a 2.5way floorstander with drivers you might not have heard before, I was quite impressed with both their measured performance and their sound. I look forward to your opinions on the Helios.

I'm planning on being at the venue around 4 and looking forward to seeing you all!

Curt 

OT: Anyone in the market for a vintage power amp? I have a Hafler 280XL that I modded / refurbished for a gentleman who is now going through a divorce and doesn't want to buy it just to give it to his ex. I can toss it into the truck if anyone wants to hear what probably was one of David Hafler's sonic crowning achievements. How many amps have you seen with user adjustable global feedback?

• I'd be interested in hearing more details about the amp, but I'm not attending this weekend.
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Curt_C said:
    As you all probably know by now, between my day job and designing speakers, I don't have much time any more to frequent the forums. But I'm really looking forward to coming to my first Dakota DIY. I'm bringing a 2.5way floorstander with drivers you might not have heard before, I was quite impressed with both their measured performance and their sound. I look forward to your opinions on the Helios.

I'm planning on being at the venue around 4 and looking forward to seeing you all!

Curt 

OT: Anyone in the market for a vintage power amp? I have a Hafler 280XL that I modded / refurbished for a gentleman who is now going through a divorce and doesn't want to buy it just to give it to his ex. I can toss it into the truck if anyone wants to hear what probably was one of David Hafler's sonic crowning achievements. How many amps have you seen with user adjustable global feedback?

Bring it!
    I have a signature.
  • jholtz said:
    jr@mac said:
    Not at all - we can work with that :)

Thanks JR! I appreciate it.

However, I'm a bit concerned that I can't throw beer cans and break things. How will we have any fun??? :p

Jim
    How about we break beer cans and throw things?
    I have a signature.
  • Here’s what J. Gordon Holt thought of the XL-280 back in 1987:

https://www.stereophile.com/solidpoweramps/hafler_xl-280_power_amplifier/index.html

My modifications were limited to replacing most of the electrolytic filter caps with Nichicon Muse and bypassing them with Vishay film caps, as well as the addition of  a pair of rail to rail filter packs at the output MOSFETS. The main filter caps were not changed as their physical size and terminal spacing is no longer available from any capacitor manufacturer. Since the power supply board mounts directly to them replacement would be difficult at best. 

I'll toss it in the truck tonight...  

• Curt, I really don't need another amp....  but you never know.  Do you take personal checks? ;)
  • FWIW, I owned a 280XL for many years that had gone through several steps of modification. The 280XL is a superb amp that sounds great. Who ever buys it won't go wrong.
  • If it doesn't sell I'm interested.  PM sent
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • They are now talking triple digits on Saturday . Bring your goldbond too
  • For everyone driving and flying , be safe
  • Car is full of gas, tire pressures checked, and loaded with speakers and such.  See everyone tomorrow after my 502 mile drive!
  • I hope everyone has a fantastic weekend. My spring has kind of gone off the rails and I'm not going to make it. Would desperately love to hear PWRRYD's open baffle, JR's 3-way, and all the surprises unveiled there, but just can't get there. Targeting Grinnell.
  • This is a lot of work...

kennyk4thtry
    I have a signature.