Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

DakotaDIY 2017

Comments

• Remember, it is also about the food...
    kennykJasonP4thtry
    I have a signature.
  • Turn2 said:
    I hope everyone has a fantastic weekend. My spring has kind of gone off the rails and I'm not going to make it. Would desperately love to hear PWRRYD's open baffle, JR's 3-way, and all the surprises unveiled there, but just can't get there. Targeting Grinnell.
    I'm sorry to hear you're not going to make it this weekend. I always look forward to seeing and hearing your designs. Life has a way of getting in the way of having fun. see you in Grinnell if its not on the 1st or last weekend of October. I'm in California both of those weeks.

I'll be on the road in a couple hours.

Jim
  • Beans beans the musical fruit .....
    kennyk
  • Did everyone land ok? On two feet?
  • Smoking the last butt guys . I hope all is well
  • Really wish I could be there guys! For the speakers and the BBQ :'(
  • Thank you to Mac for hosting the event this year ! I had a great time ,and was nice to see some new and familiar faces.
    kennyk
  • What Nick said!
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • Safe travels to those heading home
  • Wow!  Just got home.  I had to drive through a crazy storm just west of LaCrosse WI.  Hail, high winds that switched back and forth from south to north.  The sky turned black and the temp fell from 92 to 66 in less than one minute.  I put her to the floor and got out of it as fast as I could.  It's all good.  I'm home safe and sound and had a blast this weekend.  Great event JR, Jason, and Brian.  Oh, and the food was great too Nick (and others).  Look forward to seeing everyone again in Iowa this fall.
  • Also I look forward to seeing Bill's pictures posted and reading everyones' comments on all the speaker designs.  There were some great ones and not a single sticker.  I really mean that.
  • Oops, I meant stinker.
  • My first Midwest DIY was DDIY and the FREAK'N best is DDIY. I'm humbled by this brotherhood!All my love to JR, BK, JP, Nick(glad you skipped the speedo) and everyone who made me feel like a brother.
    Yeah I know it's pretty corny, but FACT!
    Thanks for a memorable weekend.
    Kenny

............. could you hum a few bars.
  • We really did have a blast!
    I have a signature.
  • Thanks to JR, Amanda, Jason, Bryan, and the band for putting on another great show.  I agree, not a bad sounding speaker could be heard.  I got a great deal of excellent feedback on my speakers.  It was very instructive to hear the difference in sound as we moved the speakers back to the rear wall and then further out into the room.  Also, a big thanks to Curt C. for coming to the rescue with his Hafler amp when the big amp went down.

Just getting on-line since driving home.  I drove past that same dark storm about 2 hours after Craig, 30 degree drop in 30 seconds.  Wow. 

Mailed the picture disc to Bryan today, he should get it by Saturday.   147 keepers plus 8 panos.   Will post a few samples shortly.
  • Oh, I forgot to thank all involved in the food preparation.   Excellent!   I didn't take any food pictures because I was too busy eating! :)
  • And, finally, one pano:

kennyk
  • Here's after polishing the Bordeaux's.

Jim
    4thtrykennykTurn2
  • Excellent finish, Jim!   You will need to polish them up like that just before the judges make their inspection tour at MWAF :) .  
  • Thanks Bill,

I just finished sanding and polishing them last night. They shine like crazy but my crappy painting skills show through with mottling in the black under the many coats of clear. They look great in the normal/dim lighting in my listening room but don't look so great under bright light and close inspection.

I'm afraid I'll lose points from the judges but it is what it is. One of these days I'll veneer them.

Jim
  • It was my first DDIY event, and I had a blast! Great camaraderie and a relaxed atmosphere made it a very enjoyable experience. My thanks to Johnny, Brian, Jason, and of course Amanda for all your efforts. It takes a tremendous amount of effort to pull off such a seamless event. Much appreciated!

Here’s the link to Leon’s website: https://rhythmaudiodesign.com/

He may be able to provide some information on the Yellow drivers that were used on the Helios. He indicated they have a pretty high MOQ, but I'm guessing if enough interest was there, perhaps a group purchase could be arraigned. The current exchange rate is about $1 USD = $1.34 CAD 

BTW you heard the Polar Caps in the Helios Tweeter circuit. The ones I used were made in Germany, and I was quite enamored with them.  

Jim, in the picture of your buffed out Bordeaux's I think I saw a little orange peel in the upper corner of one…

JUST KIDDING! They look great!    

Curt

• The archive page is taking shape. Bill's pics are up and they are awesome as usual. I'll be adding video over the next week. http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/event-archive/dakota-diy-2017/
    My signature goes here
  • Bill, that is the first photo to capture the colors on my Polaris speaker! Thanks! You're the best. 
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."