Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

IOWA DIY 2024 - 10/18 & 10/19

Comments

• @Tom_S said:
    We'll see if I can crank out a second project for this year. The template is drying - hopefully the woofer actually fits. I hate dealing with truncated drivers, but these 8" HDS were such a good deal.

Those are very nice sounding woofers Tom! Don't know if you remember my 2way project with those and the 32 mm Peerless corundum tweeters (DA32TX00-08?)

• I think two of my projects will be showing up in raw particle board. With all the new projects going on at work, wife's van repair, installing a new dishwasher, and closing up our pool for winter I'm kinda burnt out honestly. Just watching racing and NFL games sounds kinda nice to me right now.

• @PWRRYD said:

Those are very nice sounding woofers Tom! Don't know if you remember my 2way project with those and the 32 mm Peerless corundum tweeters (DA32TX00-08?)

I do remember those. They are part of why I decided to try using them in a 2-way. Maybe you can tell me what I'm doing wrong. I just started modeling, but I'm at 9 parts just on the woofer to flattened it out.

• This Iowa event was my favorite. I am determined to attend again this year and convince my wife to come along. Wish me luck.

jr@machifiside
  • Perhaps the CSS guys will donate a fabulous prize. My wife likes Kohl's cash.

Tom_ShifisideSteve_Leejr@mac6thplanet
  • @Eggguy said:
    Perhaps the CSS guys will donate a fabulous prize. My wife likes Kohl's cash.

You're in luck. Add this to your plea.

jr@machifiside
  • @Tom_S said:

@PWRRYD said:

I do remember those. They are part of why I decided to try using them in a 2-way. Maybe you can tell me what I'm doing wrong. I just started modeling, but I'm at 9 parts just on the woofer to flattened it out.

I'll see if I can find my old files on my last laptop. I could be totally wrong but I don't remember having too much trouble with those woofers.

• I got the parts count down a little last night. Now at 7 parts on the woofer. It's pretty flat, so
    I don't have a problem using that many parts. Tonight we'll see if that actually sounds good.

hifisidePWRRYD
  • I have had speakers sound better with less parts but less than perfect squiglies. I think measurements will get you close but not to perfection. I relate measurements to recipes, recipes will make good food the work of a chef will make great food.

6thplanetEggguy
  • I got one speaker wired up and playing music an hour ago. There are a few obvious things I need to address. But it's not sounding too horrible, even listening to just the left channel. I want to stay up and tweak, but there's that work thing in the morning...

6thplanet4thtry
  • Holy shit, only one and a half weeks left to wait!
    I have a nice bottle I will be bringing, my favorite Islay Scotch. Bowmore 15. Also some local beers. Oh and some speakers, if there's room in my Sorento.

I have a signature.
  • Was thinking about some bourbon, but the cognac was good too

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Hey Brad , have you tried chislic with the Antelope ?

PWRRYD
  • Yep. We have on football Sundays.

PWRRYD
  • Wow! Two weeks from tomorrow! I can hardly wait!

jr@mac
  • Have not run up FRD's for the xover yet, but I will be I'll be bringing along my 2025 InDIYana prototypes for after hours playback. I'm currently running distortion and Z tests to decide on the wideranger's loading format (sealed, aperiodic, dual chamber, TL, etc.). Once I have that done, I can do the FRD's and xover work. I've been feeding alot of power into the small, little Dayton PS95-8 and have not burned the voice coils yet. Maybe we can burn them out in Iowa! (just kidding). B)

kenrhodes
  • I need to work on a demo CD

• Any plans for uploading or just bring a CD?

• Tweaking time! If I can get them dialed in a little more this week, I may have time to slather some DuraTex on the baffles. These show the obvious flaws in the pair I brought to Sioux Falls, so I'll only have this one entry this year.

hifisideugly_wooferScottSTurn2PWRRYDSteve_LeeBryan@MAC4thtry
  • I think we're actually close to being done voicing this new pair...maybe. ;)

As for the Dakota DIY project, I broke down and ordered some SB26STCN-C000-4 tweeters. The guy at Madisound who took my order said they should be back in stock in a day or two. I hope so! They should just fit on the tweeter baffles - a 100mm tweeter won't. The NE19VTS just doesn't have enough sensitivity to work with that Rival woofer. I wanted a gradual downward slope, not a shelf!

hifiside
  • I plan to bring my latest iteration of the Duane Brown/Dr Jay/Craig Kennison collaboration 4" 2way.

Now for something entirely different, is there any interest in hearing a pair of Ohm Walsh Model 5's from the late '80's? These are about 35 years old, but have some great qualities. While not DIY, they may serve as inspiration for a future DIY project ;^)

I would appreciate opinions on them and also a frequency sweep test result if its not to much trouble for someone to bring that equipment for a test.

Marv

jhollanderugly_woofer6thplanetgleepMikeg
  • Yes- please bring those! I've always wanted to hear a Walsh speaker. I'll throw my laptop, mic, interface & an amp in the car. But, just how do you measure one of these?

• The SB26STCN-C000-4 and the CSS LD22 are my two favorite small format tweeters. Both do everything right. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

• Two of my projects are ready to demo at Iowa. The third is still a work in progress. I might bring it along anyway for Friday afternoon or the last slot on Saturday after everyone else has had their fair time. I'd never let 3 of my projects run consecutively during the Saturday primetime.

• Please bring the Ohm speakers.

• @Tom_S said:
    Yes- please bring those! I've always wanted to hear a Walsh speaker. I'll throw my laptop, mic, interface & an amp in the car. But, just how do you measure one of these?

The tweeter points toward the center of the room and is tilted slightly back. Maybe about a meter from the center of the speaker at 45 degrees from center.

The image below may not be from a model 5, but you get the idea.

Steve_Lee6thplanetgleep
  • Leo Frank built a pair of Ohm Top-hats into some sonotube towers some years ago and brought them to Dayton DIY, and CKY-DIY. I liked them in that they had some treble focus, and yet were diffuse below there with a huge soundstage.