Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Introduce yourself

Comments

• BTW - did you know some of your kits made an appearance at Iowa DIY in 2017? 

R-Carpenter
  • Yeah I saw that. They look good.
  • I put a link on our swanskits web sit for this site. Scotts work taming the treble is very impressive. 
  • Hello! First time posting yet been a while since I joined. 

Built a few enclosures, had some good reviews of my first speaker builds, did my first compo at DIY Indiana 2019 with the Rat Rods. (Building my Admirals for you who are on the FB DIY group.)
  • Welcome aboard!
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • Welcome to the forum!
  • Greetings!  I'm a long time member of many audio forums and lived in Indiana my entire life until I was relocated to Tennesee 4 years ago.  I'm new to the DIY scene and am currently focused on near field listening for my computer listening as I spend the majority of my time at my computer desk.  Among the systems i have retained after going through endless speakers:

DIY:  Linkwitz LX521.4, Econowave, C-Notes, Classix II, ?  Considering either DIY Sound Group/Bagby Helix Domes or the Hivi 3.1 Kit.  I really want to know just how good that kit is.

Manufactured:  IMF Professional Monitors, KEF 107, KEF 105/2, Klipsch Chorus, Klipsch CF-3, AR11's...likely others I have forgotten.

JasonPjr@mac
  • Greetings and salutations
    I have a signature.
  • Welcome! I've seen you over at diyaudio.
  • Welcome! I saw the Carmody kit called the S2000 on diysoundgroup. Those look like nice drivers for a good pricepoint. 
  • Hello there.    I've been wondering where you all went.  I used to spend a lot of time on PETT and then got a little distracted.  When I came back it was crickets. 
    I'm about 50.  Grew up in the south Minneapolis suburbs.  Lived most of my adult life in SE Alaska.  And now live in SW France with my wife and two kids who are 6 and 8.  I got a late start.  Word to the wise:  Don't do that.
    My background is in woodworking/finishing.  I've worked as a restoration carpenter/ painter for the NPS and also have restored several old wooden boats.  So I have a pretty good handle on outdated and almost useless techniques. 
    I look forward to continuing to learn from you guys.
    D1PP1N
  • Neis said:

I'm about 50.  Grew up in the south Minneapolis suburbs.  Lived most of my adult life in SE Alaska.  And now live in SW France with my wife and two kids who are 6 and 8.  I got a late start.  Word to the wise:  Don't do that.

I'm in the same boat as you... I'm 51 with 6 and 9 year old's.
  • I'm almost 42 with a 7 year old. Not as late, but still not an early starter.
  • Greetings Neis! I'm 56 and just a few college semesters away from being an empty nester. It sure seemed like a long way off when they were in grade school...enjoy it while you can!!
  • Yep, enjoy it while you can.  One minute you wish they were old enough to talk so they could tell you what's wrong and the next minute they won't even call home from college on your birthday.  Geez ... 
  • Is your wife younger Craig or are you both the same age? My wife is 6 months younger but im gonna be 38 and figured we had 2 years left to decide. Looks like a few years after 40 is possible. We are still 100% no for having kids but maybe in a few years it will change. 
  • The risk of complications for mother and child really escalate over 40.
  • I'm Trevor, 40, I'm a long time audiophile and have been building speakers since high school. Mostly subwoofer enclosures then but I've been reading about design for years. Built some Econowaves a few years back and really enjoyed the process. I'm currently working towards a design of my own. I'm lucky enough to be married to a musician who also enjoys hifi and we are working hard to indoctrinate our son as well. :) 
    jr@mackennykS7910hifiside
  • Welcome aboard!!
    Tebbiebear
    I have a signature.
  • With the AWA being a musician, you should have a good set of ears to judge your audio success. 

Oh, and when those drivers you wanted come on sale ... well ... maybe you won't get into as much trouble as some of us do.  :)       
    Tebbiebear
  • Who shrunk my kids?

kennykJasonPD1PP1NR-Carpenter
  • Ha! I think they need more gain....
  • The name is Dave. I came to the Ankeny event, first timer with my wife. It was very enjoyable and friendly. Also, now I need to figure out what to do with the Transducer Labs Tweeters the wife won (well, I picked out).

The event motivated me to redo a pair of home brew speakers I did a while ago (OK not good with cabinets :D ) which are currently housed in PE 0.75 cu ft bookshelf cabinets. 
    jr@macS7910JasonPTebbiebearkennyk
  • Welcome Dave.  I would gladly accept a donation of your excess tweeter inventory. ;-)

Ron
  • Neis said:
    Hello there.    I've been wondering where you all went.  I used to spend a lot of time on PETT and then got a little distracted.  When I came back it was crickets. 
    My background is in woodworking/finishing.  I've worked as a restoration carpenter/ painter for the NPS and also have restored several old wooden boats.  So I have a pretty good handle on outdated and almost useless techniques. 
    I look forward to continuing to learn from you guys.
    I'm right in your neighborhood age-wise.  My 17 year old starts college next fall and I'm 61.  It's not so bad!
  • Greetings all, My name is Dustin I turned 40 about a month ago, I have 2 boys ages 7 and 15. I live in western WA.

I've been into stereos far back as I can remember, when I was in 5th grade I traded my spare BMX I put together with  parts I either traded for or bought with paper route money for a pair of Marantz 10' two ways and a MCS 
    receiver to a older high school kid down he street.  I been hooked since lol..

I've also been into car audio well before I was old enough to drive too so have been building enclosures for friends and myself for quite some time and doing installs but have never done any diy home speakers which is something I've wanted to do for a long time so I've been reading and looking at peoples designs and trying to learn a bit before I dive in.

kennyk
  • Welcome to the addiction. 👍🏼
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • Greetings!
    I have a signature.
  • Greetings Dustin! There's a lot of good people here to offer help if you need it. 

Our oldest will be moving up your way in the next 6 months or so. The Air Force has him slated to fly C-17s out of McChord.