Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Introduce yourself

Comments

• Welcome aboard Paul.  Sounds like a nice project.
  • PaulEbert said:
    Paul Ebert. Just moved back to the Ann Arbor, MI area having lived in Central NY for 11 years. I've been married for 34 years and have 3 adult kids. I'm a Systems Engineer for Bosch.

I've built 3 speakers of my own design and one pair of Modula MTs. Besides building speakers, I enjoy remodeling, building furniture and reading. I'm currently working on a design using the RS28f, ES180 and an Ultimax 10. It's a "commission" for my nephew.

Now that we're back home and moved in, I'm looking forward to attending more DIY events.
    Hey Paul,

You're right in our neck of the woods with Kerry in Ypsi and me in Novi.  Welcome home!  

Dan
  • Tom_S said:
    Greeting's all! I'm Tom Scoville from Cedar Rapids, officially signing in. I'm a former tv news photographer lured to the dark side of commercial video production. I'm married with 2 in college and one in his last year of HS.

Like many here, I've been tinkering with audio gear for as long as I can remember. I played drums in school, but eventually realized there were much better drummers out there. But I noticed none of my musician friends knew how to cobble together a decent PA. Since the 80's, I have spent countless weekends running sound in dance halls and grandstand shows in IA & NE. I built quite a few bad sounding home speakers before finding PETT years ago - learning much from fine folks like Wolf, Jeff B, Pete, JR, & Jay Kim. Helping our youngest put together the system for his truck is what brought me back into speaker building after a 6 year hiatus. 

We'll have to get a speaker building photography thread started with tips & techniques.  
    greywarden
  • cssaudio1 said:

You're right in our neck of the woods with Kerry in Ypsi and me in Novi.  Welcome home!  

Dan
    Thanks!  Perhaps there's an A2DIY event sometime in the future!
  • It wouldn't be too far for me to drive up there.  I could even travel up to my sister's in the Detroit area afterwards.
  • Hey there!  Posted a ‘hello’ on TT’s MAC thread (somewhere), but figured I should go direct to source.

Attended the recent CKY-MAC meet in Louisville.  Found out about event via FirstBuild’s FB page.  Very glad that I made it.  Looked up MAC site and requested an invite right away.

I’m a Louisville KY native, novice builder, long-time audio user, and obsessive listener.  A few itinerant posts on various audio forums; primarily a lurker at this point.  Partner to a wonderful lady and dog, both in Lexington KY.  Would very much like to be involved in future meets, when and where I can.

Thanks in advance... !
  • Join the crowd! Welcome neatlyfolded.
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • Welcome and at least a first or Nick name is much appreciated. Also, do you mind reminding me who you are. I have definitely met you at the meet. I am the Indian guy with the floor staying speakers with curved back, from Minneapolis.
    isaeagle4031PWRRYD
  • I'm pretty sure that is Brian, the younger fellow (to me) with the curly hair and glasses.
  • My name is Bob.  I got here by YouTube surfing and I clicked on some weird video and now I'm here.  Must be one of those weird twilight zone things, I dunno, must have crossed an Einstein-Rosen bridge.  What year is this?

Jk.  I'm Oscar (aka: guitar maestro on PETT) and I got dragged here involuntarily!   =)  Been tinkering with speakers since about 92 or 93 as a teenager; built some basic 2- and 3-ways and subs armed with only a small handful of cash and a scientific calculator with some radio shack books..  Did the whole "car" thing in my late teens/early twenties mostly building vented subwoofer enclosures; now a days I mostly stick to "home" audio.  I work in education, my BSc is in Math & Physics.  Been playing guitar since about the same time, so about 25yrs.  Have a half-finished naturally-aspirated race car with a nice 13.8:1 compression V8 engine I built myself, with more anti-friction and ceramic coatings than the space shuttle, with an anticipated redline is north of 9000 RPMs.  :)  My recently acquired Legacy Audio Calibres are largely responsible for re-invigorating my interest in designing a very neat pair of 3-way loudspeakers for myself. Not married, no kids, so I get to buy lots of cool toys as I see fit. :)
    greywarden
  • Welcome aboard Oscar. 
    I have a signature.
  • Welcome Oscar, glad to see you decided to join!
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • Greetings from Canada!
    My name is Mike and I started fiddling with speakers when I was about 10 years old. My Dad ran a shop on the side and scrapped cars when he was either slow or looking for extra money. I was allowed to pilfer the speakers from the cars and figured out fast that they sounded a lot better in a box, especially if I helped myself to some of the sound deadener in the trunk or floor, and lined the (cardboard) box with it. That was my introduction which lead to building a pile of projects over the next 20 or so years, some better than others. Then I got out of it for the next 20 and now I'm back. The hobby has changed a lot since I was doing it in the 90's, and for the better. Components are much better and with the internet, it's never been a better time to be a DIYer.
    Anyway, that's my story and I hope to learn from the very capable people on this forum.
  • Welcome Mike, what part of Canada are you in?
  • In Southwestern Ontario, we live on a small farm in the sticks.
  • Nice, I'm in SK, haven't been out to Ontario since I was a kid, but I was in Thunder Bay back then. Most of the family is out in Alberta and BC, so I tend to go west when I travel.
  • Hey guys, I've been posting as CSS, but sometimes I'd like to be a little less professional, so I had Jason hook me up with a personal account.  Kerry and I will still use the CSS account for official announcements, so there's no confusion.

Dan
  • That's certainly better than the disco(something) handle you were using at Diyaudio
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • DiscoJones man!  That's my alter ego!  I'm always jonesing for some good disco.

Dan
    PWRRYD
  • Can you 'keep up with the Disco' though?
  • You know I can.
  • Hello Everyone, my name is Jeremy and I am from Grand Rapids, MI.  I met Brian last year at the Mensicus Audio DIY event and brought my refurbished DCM's.  I have been a long time audio enthusiast and have been into the car audio arena for decades as well as home audio.  I have been building speakers for the better part of 15 years as a hobby.  I hope to learn many new things from everyone here!
  • Welcome to da club Jeremy.
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • Welcome aboard!
  • Greetings Jeremy! Lots of great people here and virtually none of the toxic attitudes & pissing matches you might have experienced on some other forums.
  • Tom_S said:
    Greetings Jeremy! Lots of great people here and virtually none of the toxic attitudes & pissing matches you might have experienced on some other forums.
        Yep, seems to be at least a handful of people on PE's forum whose sole purpose is to start $hit.  Although I'm still active there, I do get tired of all that childish krap.  It keeps me from being more active there, and I'm sure it has a like affect on others.   

Welcome aboard.        
  • Yep me too.  I don't post any of my projects or designs on PETT anymore.  The mods let too much stupid shit slide and clamp down on other stuff.  I like posting stuff here and don't mind a bit if you guys have negative comments about anything.  I feel those comments are generally legit and not just some D-bag trying to look like a know it all.  Now if MAC allows AE to join here and he starts correcting my on line English... I'm out!
  • AE ....ha, he's just one of the muckrakers.  What are those bars for under their usernames anyway?  It surely can't be for meaningful replies.        
  • Kornbread said:
    AE ....ha, he's just one of the muckrakers.  What are those bars for under their usernames anyway?  It surely can't be for meaningful replies.        

• Alan Ersen has always been unapologetically Alan Ersen. You either ignore him, or you don't. He has anger issues for sure.