Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Steak!

Comments

• Nice, mine is a play on cordon bleu, has a creamy honey mustard sauce
    R-Carpenter

• My last round of the old smoker. I don't fuck around.

kennykD1PP1N4thtryGowaR-Carpenter
    I have a signature.
  • USDA Choice Rib Eye.
    See you in 6 weeks big boy.

jr@macD1PP1NNicholas_23kennykBryan@MACS79104thtry
  • Oh shit , you didn't mess around ! You got the slab! Jelous . Money money money , monaaaay
  • Nice smoke ring JR
  • I can't help but watch this thread, but you guys are way beyond my grill skill set.  Well done....well done.
    My signature goes here
  • No , no , not well none :p
    R-CarpenterS79104thtry
    Ah fuck me, how tragically ironic is this??  >>>> belly buster there for me........
    My signature goes here
  • Love you brother
  • Dick head going to make me grill something....     .....in the rain

• Is there something , any of you want to see and then do? I will try to smoke/grill some weird shit , with in the state law. SD law
  • I have not tried nutts , around here it could be bull , sheep , deer , anything with nutts . P.s. heard their rich. Will not take imports unless Jonny eats them too. Fist down and done. Oh, p.s.s. I will not eat half hatched baby eggs , that have been pickled . I do like pickled but I will not eat pickled baby eggs , those with beaks. Now heres the rub , if anyone , including myself and Jonny can NOT come up with said FOOD listed above , must eat said chislic, ONE pound , ooooh, and looser buys a round... Let's do chislic
  •  Now heres the rub ,
    Speaking of. I usually use Pork Barrel BBQ dry rub for ribs,
    https://www.amazon.com/Pork-Barrel-BBQ-American-Seasoning/dp/B00EDQASI6/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1506772537&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=pork+barrel+bbq&psc=1
    It's actually $4 or $5 at Costco.
    What do you guys use?

Rear all the way! If it's cooked over 125F inside, it's ruined!
  • Oh shit , you didn't mess around ! You got the slab! Jelous . Money money money , monaaaay
    This was a bit over a $100. I am thinking, 10 good steaks after aging. So, $10-$12 a steak.
    That's not bad.
  • Man , need to see those suckers when when you carve them up
  • Forgive me if I missed it but was looking for the chislic DIY.  
    My signature goes here
  • Had to look that up.
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • Hmmm, steak? Ok? I'll share. I've become hooked on the "cheaper" cuts of steak. The chuck-eye and flat iron in particular, and I put cheap in quotes because as people become aware of how good they are, prices keep increasing.

Pictures?, sure!

Flat iron from local store. This place sources local beef, but it's really buyer beware. Notice no mark of USDA grading on the package. They are USDA inspected, but not graded. This means its up to you to check the marbling of the beef. This is a pretty well marbled flat iron, as its a lean cut.

Seasoned. Flat iron has a strong beefy flavor so it can handle a bit of seasoning. This is a custom blend of: hickory smoke, garlic powder, and porcini mushroom powder. On top of that is coarse sea salt. Let this sit out for 45 minutes or so. The longer the length, the stronger the beef flavor (salt denatures proteins to release flavor) but the saltier the end meat.

45 minutes later. You can see how the salt has soaked in and drawn out liquid from the beef. Rinse this all off, very well. Dry and coat with coarse ground peppercorns (au poivre for the win). Slather with soft butter and sear in a cast iron pan.
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • Searing

All done, rest for 5 minutes.

It's still not the most tender cut of meat, so I slice sorta-thin and serve:

There we go, with a side of sauteed mushrooms, sprinkled with swiss and parmesan. The pile at the bottom is a blend of the same cheese, with added marjoram. Put a little of that onto your fork and away you go, an amazing contrast to the meat.

Oh did I get carried away? Sorry. I love steak!
    kennykBryan@MACNicholas_23
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • +1 on the chuckeye , holy smokes they've went up in price though
  • Flatiron is the cut they serve at Thirsty Duck. High flavor, moderate tenderness. Very good steak. 

I have skirt in the oven today, marinated overnight, seared on grill this morning, ready for steak burritoes by noon. 

Also have these for Iowa:

JasonPNicholas_23kennyk
    I have a signature.

• JasonPkennyk
    I have a signature.
  • Thanks for the invite, that looks fantastic
  • Bulgogi time
    jr@macJasonPkennyk
  • And marinade
  • Short ribs tonite..........no pics...........all gone.........BURP!
    JasonPjr@macNicholas_23R-Carpenter
    ............. could you hum a few bars.