Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Steak!

Comments

• Love it...so off topic yet so interesting, especially seeing Roman at the stove...lol.  Priceless. 
    My signature goes here
  • Thanks guys! Very good thread. 

I make all mg own rubs and marinades, and can grill very well.... but suck at searing or cooking a steak inside. Its more of a smoke show than anything for me :(
  • Nic, T-Roy gets his beef from Lobel's of NY. The place is hideously overpriced and I am not so sure you will get the meet you can't get for less from other sources. USDA prime for example is a federal grading system and no matter where you get it from, it'll be the same top quality meat. In Lobel's of course, you will pay 4 times the price you pay in Costco.
    At some point in my life I would like to try Wagyu or even aged Japanese Wagyu but that's then I get rich and famous.

For any of you guys who haven't seen it, there's a good documentary on Netflix. Steak Revolution.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2827708/

• edited September 2017
    Its more of a smoke show than anything for me :(
    If you cooking steak indoors and smoke alarm isn't going of, you aren't doing it right. LOL.
    But really, steaks smoke a lot. Indoors, high temp oils like avocado oil or grapeseed oil will make searing less painful.
    Filet Mignon, ready to go. This was purchased at $6.99 in Fairway on sale. Whole loin was around $28.
  • Good point on the fan. My little fridge circulates quite well without one, some may not. 

I should add that there are no "loser" cuts of beef, just have to be aware of each cuts limitations. A bottom round makes for a dry, tough steak, but a delicious slow cooker pot roast. Chuck makes an interesting steak, but I personally find it to be hands-down the best choice for shredded beef and gravy. 

My favorite cuts for steak are tenderloin and ribeye. Here are some prime cuts I picked up a few weeks ago at Sam's Club:

After a hot, quick trip to the grill (with fresh made steak fries):

Eating around the fat is the price we pay for eating ribeye. 
    R-Carpenter
    I have a signature.
  • Another thing to consider is yellowish fat on a beef can be an indicator of having been grass fed. 
    I have a signature.
  • I am not sure if I prefer grain fed or grass fed beef. I think both have flavors, I like.

Any suggestions on cooking pork tenderloin?
  • edited September 2017
    I'm inviting myself over to Roman's house for steak dinner. @R-Carpenter what are we drinking?
    deadhorse - leviathan - harbinger - shockwave (wip)
  • I'm inviting myself over to Roman's house for steak dinner. @R-Carpenter what are we drinking?
    Red with the steak and bourbon for desert. Ringiding me if in NY. :)
    Speaking of, I need to go to Costco and pick up  rib eye for aging.
    kennyk
  • No suggestions on pork tenderloin?
  • I am contemplating the pork, Roman. When I collect my thoughts I will post. 
    I have a signature.
  • edited September 2017
    It's inexpensive, lean and dry. I tried it twice and was,'t successful.   Thinking, marinading, slow cooking.
    Looking forward to your thoughts, JR.
  • I'm literally just learning to cook anything so im of no use on this. After being with my wife 11 years and she does all the cooking but very rarily eats chicken but no meat otherwise ive finally broken down and started to make stuff!
  • The zestar apples we picked yesterday were a little mushy for my liking so in they go with a bone in ham and onto the smoker.
    kennyk
  • I grabbed some pork tenderloin today, Ill try to document how I prepare it. 
    kennyk
    I have a signature.
  • This thread is awesome.  My kids and I love any good seasoned and cooked meat of any kind. Unfortunately my wife has been on some sort of crazy caveman-foolish diet for a year where she buys/eats the most expensive shit there is at the store (meat, berries, fruit, veges, nuts) and zero spices.  Results???

Gimme a greasy beer battered cod plate please!!!!
    jr@macNicholas_23D1PP1NkennykS7910

• Nicholas_23D1PP1Nkennyk
    I have a signature.
  • Also adding another vitamin P picture
    D1PP1Nkennyk
  • The thread is paying off for sure! I didnt get to cook that steak i bought on the 2nd until yesterday it was just in the fridge tho. It was discolored but i cooked it and ate it anyway lol. Im not dead yet so hopefully im cook stuff sooner next time!
  • I think some good old fashioned fish n chips is overdue around here...
    kennyk
    I have a signature.
  • Also adding another vitamin P picture
    Finally, a proper measurement protocol in place.
    R-Carpenter
  • Y'all talking about steaks and hams and I'm over hear wondering if I'm going to have chicken nuggets today, or be fancy and buy chicken strips.
    Silver1omoFace
    deadhorse - leviathan - harbinger - shockwave (wip)
  • jr@mac said:

How did you get to that point?
    :)
  • Turn2 said:
    Also adding another vitamin P picture
    Finally, a proper measurement protocol in place.
    I absolutely agree!
  • I marinaded for four hours, pinned a pair together, and cooked to internal temp of 145 degrees. Sliced about 1/4" thick. 
    I have a signature.
  • grill or broil?
  • I grill - but either way, start hot, finish low. Pork tenderloins are very lean, you can probably pull them at 140 as far as that goes. 

I am going to experiment with larding this winter - old school trick to counter lean cuts. 
    I have a signature.

• I'll play, stuffed chicken breast with ham and Swiss, served on top of fried riced cauliflower, side of veggies. I keep the wife happy ! 
    D1PP1N
  • Chicken breast stuffed with ham and mozzarella in tomato sauce and Parmesan. 
    First, stuffed and seared on cast Iron pan. Finished in the oven at 350 for 30 min.
    Inexpensive and fairly easy to cook. Sort of my go to as far as comfort food.
    kennykNicholas_23D1PP1NS7910