Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Steak!

Comments

• edited May 2018
    Tasted different from what I usually smoke/gill .This wasnt that good , almost tasted like processed pork/ham. Thumbs down... gross . She ate it , but didnt get a " Thank you" for cooking it , it wasnt that good. Pretty sure it was plumped up with with a bunch of bullshit. On that note , pork shoulder , Ill get that out of the freezer tomorrow to thaw. More to come

kennyk
  • My last one was like that Nick it didn't taste the best either. 
  • Thanks for the conformation. I think the loin was juiced up with what ever they put in that thing. Maybe for weight ? It was juicy , just wasnt that good.  
  • It was like salt water or something. It tasted "odd"
  • We processed part of hog back in 2017. I didn't butcher it too bad and managed to get pork shoulder out of it. If it doesn't rain here tonight I'll put this on and let it go overnight hmmmm? Can't post pictures from the right now . I'll post from the PC a little later I guess
  • Done , this one took 14 hours . I didnt wrap this one and got a really good bark on it. 
    D1PP1Nkennyk
  • Nick that is awesome!  I wish I could cook like you... or better would be if my wife could cook.
  • Thanks Craig , I appreciate that . Thank you sir
    Took some over to the 82 year old grandma across the street, told her it was heavy on the smoke ,she says" oh thats just the way I like it "  and got a hug out of the deal. Win Win
    kennyk
  • Done , this one took 14 hours . I didnt wrap this one and got a really good bark on it. 
    P.S, didnt trim the fat cap on this one either. 
    kennyk
  • Around here, a holiday means I'm at the grill.
    Here's a Whole Foods bone in ribeye.  2 1/2 pounds of goodness.
    Just a little char on it  <3   Coffee cup for size comparison.

kennykS7910D1PP1NNicholas_23jr@macR-Carpenter
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!

• Beef loin - carved steaks and ground tail and trimmings. Ground should make epic burgers! 
    I have a signature.

• Gotta have sides - mashed potatoes and a bread we like from HyVee also on the way. The bread is called "Emmer and Einkorn", so-called ancient grains. Delicious whatever their origin.
    I have a signature.

• Presentation and money shot...
    ThumperTomNicholas_23D1PP1Nsquamishdroc
    I have a signature.

• Few observation after living with carbon steel pan and cast iron pan for sometime.
    Both can be used on high heat for searing steaks and such. Both can go in to oven. There are no handles to melt. All metal. Both will rust (cast iron faster) if left wet after washing.
    The difference appears to be in the speed of heat transfer and capacity to store heat. From what I see, cast iron is slower to heat up evenly (I will pre-heat the pan in the oven for a nice steak.) as well as to heat up in general but will sear larger steak slightly better. Carbon steel pan will heat up much faster and will give a very nice sear as well but may be a bit under weighted if the steak is on the larger side and below room temp.
    Both types are very affordable and will last a lifetime. My general preference so far is towards cast iron.

Silver1omoD1PP1NS7910ThumperTom
  • This is good info Roman , Thank you. There is a Yonkers in town that is going out of business and blowing everything out the door. I looked at a couple of the non cast iron pans like you posted,thinking they would be nice to have around if they were cheap enough. I didnt bite , glad I didnt. Will stick with the ol cast irons like mentioned above. 
    R-Carpenter
  • Good thread!

For steak I eat Akaushi and Wagyu that I buy in San Antonio when ever I'm there.  Sometimes I buy Prime if I run out.  I just made this one a few days ago.  Sorry no pics of it cooked, lol.  I have some older pics I'll post down lower in this post.

Here in South Texas it's woodfire grilled outside or nothing. 

Usually mesquite and hickory mix for my steaks.  I also got pecan, white oak, post oak, tons of blackjack oak, apple, and peach wood.

Smoked brisket?  You better believe it.  I'm the best.  So tender it falls apart when you try to pick up a slice.  They don't show you that (or lack thereof) in the youtube videos. 

D1PP1Nrjj45
  • Nice bark on that flat oscar
  • First for me today , beef short ribs oh, and another brisket flat. 
  • I like steak!  There, Comment #200! 
    PWRRYD
  • Some tuna. 
    jr@macJasonP
  • Dinner last night. Ribeye, beans, gnocchi w/ basil pesto.

Silver1omo
    I have a signature.
  • Anyone here use an electric smoker?  Likes, don't like?  I'm thinking about getting one.  The food coming off of them in some youtube videos look awful.
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • edited August 2018
    Hi John. I just bought an electric smoker last weekend.  I smoked a rack of baby back ribs and a rack of short pork ribs on Sunday.  I was going to DIY build my own "Ugly Barrel Smoker".  After talking to a few friends and coworkers who do a lot of smoking the big take away was how much you have to tend to a propane or charcoal smoker.  They said if they had to do it over they would have bought an electric.  I saw they had a decent one on clearance at Menards.  Regular price was $199, clearance minus 11% rebate ended up at $132.  The ribs turned out fantastic!!!  Meat fell of the bone with a great smokey taste.  We ate till we were almost sick, then had the leftovers (just as good) on Friday night.  I am smoking 4 large chicken breasts today with some apple wood chips.  I'll post how they end up.
  • Thanks Craig.  I ended up buying a Masterbuilt from Sams.  They had a great price, plus it included a leg stand.  I did a pork butt that turned out very tender (for pulled pork), but with a bit more porky flavor than I like.  That's mostly a function of it being a pork butt. 

I did chicken legs and thighs yesterday.  After reading about rubbery chicken I cooked them at 275 and pulled at an internal temp of 167.  They were good.  I will probably lower the cooking temp and raise the dark meat internal temperature a bit higher next time.  Another option is to crisp up the skin on the gas grill afterward.

I'm having fun with this.  I feel I'm more in control than when I do charcol.

• I'm having fun with this.  I feel I'm more in control than when I do charcol.
    Same here.

The chicken breasts turned out ok.  I did a mild spicy rub then brushed them with maple syrup every hour.  I need a new (better) meat thermometer.  I cooked them to 165 internal and they were a bit over done.
  • Boneless chicken breasts are a PITA.  Some of them are so large they a just plain tough. 
  • edited August 2018
  • edited August 2018
    That bacon explosion was going good until they added the cheese and sauce... :/
    I'm looking forward to doing a smoked meatloaf.

I've got a cool cooking guide I will try to attach here (PDF)

Dang still not accepting attachments!  Craig look for an email, sorry guys...