Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Iowa 2018

Comments

• Tom, FWIW, I always go to -0.5db for most tracks. Some I have to put down a db or three if the perceived loudness is out of range. This is usually only for the odd track I use to torture test, though, as the perceived loudness is usually a case of being bass heavy + compression beyond the fun range. 

Other tracks, though, have so little compression and such a high dynamic range that other than a few short passages within the track are too quiet. It can make it challenging to work stuff like into a demo. 

Replay gain is a good tool, I feel it to be generally transparent and latency free. Years ago, plug-ins like those would consume quite a few clock cycles and introduce latency as a result. On modern systems, though, it is much better. Not sure if it works correctly using ASIO drivers or not, so results may vary. I may be mistaken, much has changed in digital audio in the last ten years. I usually just reach for the volume button if something is too quiet or loud.
    I have a signature.
  • Is there anyway I can go to this at this late date? I didn't think I could because of work stuff but now I would be able to.
  • jr@mac said:
    Tom, FWIW, I always go to -0.5db for most tracks. Some I have to put down a db or three if the perceived loudness is out of range. This is usually only for the odd track I use to torture test, though, as the perceived loudness is usually a case of being bass heavy + compression beyond the fun range. 

Other tracks, though, have so little compression and such a high dynamic range that other than a few short passages within the track are too quiet. It can make it challenging to work stuff like into a demo. 

Good to know - Thanks! 

Just waiting on a few new CDs to arrive and I'll actually have my own demo this year!
  • In Audacity I've been trimming a few single cycle noise spikes with the "repair" function.  By taking out a few spikes I've been able to amplify to bring up the level.
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Wow...aren't we getting crafty with the demos? This is really good stuff to read. Good job, guys.
    My signature goes here
  • House Track

1.       I Honestly Love You – Susan Wong

2.       Yesterday – Beatles

3.       Avratz – Infected Mushroom

4.       Luna – Ann Wilson

5.       My Dear Frodo – Howard Shore (The Hobbit - An Unexpected Journey – OST)

6.       Boulevard of Broken Hearts – Slash  (feat. Myles Kennedy & The Conspirators)

https://app.box.com/s/mizkmxp1uxfoqjb27olklp3xwf0z0wca

My signature goes here
  • In Audacity I've been trimming a few single cycle noise spikes with the "repair" function.  By taking out a few spikes I've been able to amplify to bring up the level.
    I've used a similar trick with Audacity.

Hey, I recognize 2 of the house demo tracks. ;-)  Avratz will be a test for the little woofers.

Looking forward to the weekend

Ron
  • Ron_E said:
    In Audacity I've been trimming a few single cycle noise spikes with the "repair" function.  By taking out a few spikes I've been able to amplify to bring up the level.
    I've used a similar trick with Audacity.

Hey, I recognize 2 of the house demo tracks. ;-)  Avratz will be a test for the little woofers.

Looking forward to the weekend

Ron
    Avrats is straight off your demo sampler. Many thanks for that. It’s a superb collection of tracks. 
    My signature goes here
  • Getting all the ducks in a row for the event, can't wait!

49 4GB USB drives pre-loaded with all the demos of Iowa 2015, 2016, and 2017!

1 of the 50 came DOA, but I think that is acceptable. 98% is pretty impressive for mass-produced products.
    jr@macThumperTomBryan@MACGowaS7910
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • Very cool!
  • I got my Demo done last night - first shot making one of these; hopefully it doesn't suck. The tricky part is finding sections of songs that have good dynamic range and some variety.
  • So how much $ is 50 4gb usb drives?
  • So how much $ is 50 4gb usb drives?
    More than zero, less than a grand? I'm not going to disclose the cost. Though for future events, as the capacity needs to increase, cost might rise and then things will be different. The 2015-2017 demos take nearly 3 GB in their uncompressed form, so as the archive grows, larger drives will be needed. Of course, we'll see how this all works out this year.
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • I am curious with the auto play of the personal demo, are you giving it a specific name or just a track in a folder to run?
  • Man, I'm down to only 3 evenings left before I leave for Iowa and I am STILL making incrementally small voicing changes to my hybrid OB project.  Why oh why can't I get on this stuff sooner?
  • Some cool goodies from the guys at Madisound.

jr@macScottSThumperTomGowaS7910
    My signature goes here
  • JasonP said:
    So how much $ is 50 4gb usb drives?
    More than zero, less than a grand? I'm not going to disclose the cost. Though for future events, as the capacity needs to increase, cost might rise and then things will be different. The 2015-2017 demos take nearly 3 GB in their uncompressed form, so as the archive grows, larger drives will be needed. Of course, we'll see how this all works out this year.
    I'm just looking for a source for a project.  Dare I say, a recipe book distribution of my wife's family cookbook.  I assume you probably had researched this.  I'll hit you up at the event, or a PM next time. 

Yeah I wasn't planning to pay you anything  ;)
    JasonP
  • PWRRYD said:
    Man, I'm down to only 3 evenings left before I leave for Iowa and I am STILL making incrementally small voicing changes to my hybrid OB project.  Why oh why can't I get on this stuff sooner?
    You are not alone....
  • Just an FYI for listening in the room when we aren't in full demo mode Saturday:

The front end I'm bringing will have: Bluetooth with AptX (to DAC), USB (to DAC), Optical (to DAC), RCA, 3.5mm inputs. I think that will have us covered for casual listening. I'm just missing balanced/XLR.
  • I am curious with the auto play of the personal demo, are you giving it a specific name or just a track in a folder to run?
    I actually wrote an application that scans for target file locations. When you put in the drive, the application detects the playlist on it and tells Foobar2000 to play it. I wanted to work around Autorun/Autoplay because you know, security and all that jazz!
    ThumperTom
  • edited October 2018
    JasonP said:
    Just an FYI for listening in the room when we aren't in full demo mode Saturday:

The front end I'm bringing will have: Bluetooth with AptX (to DAC), USB (to DAC), Optical (to DAC), RCA, 3.5mm inputs. I think that will have us covered for casual listening. I'm just missing balanced/XLR.
    Just to make sure...  it will be plug-n-play with the Samson amp that @ScottS  is lending us, yes?

My signature goes here
  • Bryan@MAC said:
    JasonP said:
    Just an FYI for listening in the room when we aren't in full demo mode Saturday:

Just to make sure...  it will be plug-n-play with the Samson amp that @ScottS  is lending us, yes?

Unbalanced RCA out up to 3V RMS. If we need RCA to XLR, I think I have some here. Now the technical guy in me wants to note: For safety there is an output cap filter on the deck. It is a heavy duty one, but with a low amp impedance like the Samson, we will get a roll-off in the bass region, about F3 of 7 hz. Not that we'd want to send 7 hz signals to our speakers.
  • My Barbie Girl speakers welcomed 7hz, lot of chickenshits out there lol. 
    JasonPjhollander
    I have a signature.
  • The Samson has done okay with several different consumer front ends.  I will have RCA to XLR's and a line voltage booster (Samson S-Convert) if needed.
    JasonP
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • What type of speaker connections will be used?  Banana plugs, wire or ???
  • Banana plugs will be default.  I will look to see if I have something I can use as an adapter.
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • ScottS said:
    Banana plugs will be default.  I will look to see if I have something I can use as an adapter.
    I have banana to bare wire adapters in my luggage already, and some 1000 gauge jumpers to make things work if we absolutely have too.
  • ~24 hours!
  • Are your crossovers done, Craig? I'm making a small change to mine right now.
  • Done and packed in the car!!!  Kinda like drinking, know when to say when :)