Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Adult Refreshments

Comments

• Celebrating a week off from work with A Belgian quadruppel! Good night! Not much of a vacation though, a renocation, putting in new flooring in my basement. Old 70’s brown shag carpet is sadly finally being removed..

Silver1omosquamishdroc
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • edited April 2022

The beer made in Hawaii is very nice!

Whilst drinking, should probably listen to Old Maui by The Dreadnoughts. Look it up!

squamishdroc
  • Coconut in beer ? Why not

• There's worse things you can put in beer, that's for sure!

• I like a local coconut porter.

• edited July 2022

This one is very nice, complex flavours and actually complimented by the fruit addition rather than ruined. Mixed fermentation, aged in third use rye barrels with dried apricots and peaches. 7.9%. "East of East Van vol.2"

squamishdroc

• Founders and a game. Cheers!

PWRRYDjhollandersquamishdrocTurn2Mikegjr@mac
  • Malt city! Belgian red triple. Packs a punch at 10.5%.

jhollanderSteve_LeesquamishdrocSilver1omo
  • That looks good

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • It is! One of the best I've had in a while.

• Isn't Belgium where pilsner beer originated?

• edited August 2022

I don't think so, and Wikipedia says otherwise.

• @Kornbread said:
    Isn't Belgium where pilsner beer originated?

From the Czech Republic - a region called Pilsen if my memory serves me correctly =)

• I am a huge fan of Founders, and am looking forward to being in GR in a few weeks.

A few years ago I attempted to try various stouts and sours only to find out they are all too damn bitter or sour. Probably the same reason I struggle with cabbage and its various derivatives, and most greens to be honest.

I do enjoy IPA, pilsners, lagers, and good old fashioned cheap American beers with the exception of Bud Light and Coors Light. We keep Miller Lite as our go to for getting drunk in the bar and garage, and always have a variety of IPA and Hefe and a few other varietals to keep things interesting. Currently, we have a case of different Paulaner expressions. They know WTF they are doing in the fatherland. The wife enjoys spiced beers such as the Oktoberfest varietal. I am not a fan of the hint of clove and mace and whatever other classic continental spices that show through. Speaking of, my wife swears by Sam Adams Oktoberfest. I enjoy the classic "Boston lager" expression even if it is a bit of the "Bose of the beer world" (a review I believe I originated). I only say that because it is a good beer considered great by many uninitiated.

On top of that, we have about 12-20 bottles of wine at any given time (with a heavy preference for Pinot Grigio, Cab, and Malbec). The wine is split about evenly between cooking and consuming.

I am still exploring the world of Scotch and Irish whiskey and am pleased that Americans are finally discovering that they know WTF they are doing in the motherland of the water of life. The sheer number of different whiskies showing up here despite the tariffs is awesome. American whiskies not so much for the most part, although there are some very good rye whiskies showing up, and even some single malt stuff making the rounds. Speaking of, that huge distillery in Indiana responsible for quite a few of the "craft" whiskies available know what they are doing. General rule: if the bottle claims distilled in Indiana, it will be absolutely acceptable and borderline great in some cases. A few of their customers have started releasing some better aged expressions. Templeton comes to mind. The wife and I plan on visiting their facility on our way to Ankeny this fall.

Anyways, here in SoDak we are close to the league leaders in alcohol consumption per capita. Kind of our favorite past time as it were.

Steve_LeeSilver1omo
    I have a signature.
  • +1 for the Sam Adams Oktoberfest

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • edited August 2022

@jr@mac said:
    Two bottles showed up for Christmas last night:

Picked up a bottle of that Sexton whisky the other day. Real good stuff for the price, full flavour even though it's only at 40% ABV. But that bottle...might look good on t he shelf at the store, but a short wide bottle with no neck is the worst.

Steve_Lee
  • @dcibel said:

@jr@mac said:
    Two bottles showed up for Christmas last night:

Picked up a bottle of that Sexton whisky the other day. Real good stuff for the price, but that bottle...might look good on the shelf at the store, but a short wide bottle with no neck is the worst.

• Pours pretty shady, but good whiskey.

I have a signature.
  • definitely has a PB aroma- fairly smooth

• I tried Widow Jane last year on a weekend trip down to Lake Cumberland. It really tuned me on to bourbon. Though, that is definitely an expensive journey. I picket up a bottle of New Riff's straight bourbon a while ago since they are somewhat local to me. Wasn't anything spectacular to me though

That reminds me, a local brewery (Fretboard) I went to last weekend were aging beers in New Riff barrels.
    Tonight I'm enjoying a Fretboard "FUGEE". They call it a Breakfast ale. It is pretty much a porter that has heavy maple syrup note. Tastes like drinking french toast.

My username comes from my homebrew days. I tried steeping grains and all that. But I think my best stuff came from just blending LME. Have since sold all but one carboy as I don't see myself doing multiple batches at once anymore. Been years since I've done any.

Silver1omoSteve_Lee

• This is actually quite good.

dcibelsquamishdroc
  • edited November 2022

This stuff is just great! Only 4.7% though so it’s a light beer ;)

kenrhodesjhollanderSilver1omo
  • Excellent IPA from a SoDak brewery (Sodank, get it?).

I'll bring some to Iowa next year.

jhollander
    I have a signature.

• Picked this up somewhere on Iowa, a Des Moines brew. Excellent hefe. Pronounced as you would expect.

Silver1omoTurn2
    I have a signature.
  • I’m a huge rye fan, this may be my favorite to date….

Silver1omojr@macSteve_Leedcibel
  • I've been watching Whisky Tribe. Thinking I need to try some Rye myself and taste what all the hoopla is about.

• @DrewsBrews said:
    ...Thinking I need to try some Rye myself and taste what all the hoopla is about...

1) I like Rye, so I don't mean this in a negative way at all;
    2) But the "hoopla" is that Rye has more "spicyness" than corn or wheat and thus can be aged for a shorter time...thus is more profitable for distillers.

One of the best Rye's for the money is Rittenhouse Bottled in Bond. If I remember correctly, you live in Ohio where the state controls what liquors are carried in the stores, so not sure if you can get it or not. If you are ever in the Cincinnati area, cross the river to the Kentucky side and go to The Party Source for an incredible selection of bourbons. (Other than for this reason, I do not recommend crossing the border to Kentucky ;) B) )

kenrhodes
  • "Eagle Rare" for me when it comes to bourbon - rye just has too much bite for my tastes.