Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Adult Refreshments

Comments

• Spotted Cow rules! The brewery is less than an hour from here so it's easy to find in the stores if I happen to cross into cheese head country :p

I love almost anything cherry flavored except for beer :#

Turn2
  • @PWRRYD said:
    Spotted Cow rules! The brewery is less than an hour from here so it's easy to find in the stores if I happen to cross into cheese head country :p

I love almost anything cherry flavored except for beer :#

The only reason I picked it up is the great ratings it gets on online beer forums. If you poured someone a glass blind they might think wine before beer. Of course, wine isn't everyone's go-to either. It's a winner for me. And Spotted Cow rocks too.

• Boy, y'all are right about those new fruit flavored "beers". I like Michelob Ultra (trying to lose weight) and they have sampler 12 packs. Surprised, the pineapple isn't bad, but they had cucumber-lime that tasted like antifreeze. Poured those out!
    A new favorite this summer is Creature Comforts Tropicalia - just a hint of fruit, very clean and refreshing on hot summer days.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Citrus - okay in beer
    Berries - do not put in beer
    Sour and Gose - gtfo

rjj45
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • A very light touch of citrus is ok in my beers - think the hint of orange in Blue Moon, for an example of how much I can handle. Quite a few wheat beers have a touch of that citrus that usually goes well with the overall flavor profile. I drink quite a bit of Boulevard Wheat specifically because it has almost zero hint of fruit - and I always decline the fruit slice when I order one out.

Normally I do not like berry flavors in my beers, but the one exception I have found is Grainbelt Blu - which is outright lager mixed with genuine blueberry squeezin's. Outstanding beer.

I do not care for shandy style beers, maerzen style beers, or stouts. Shandy because they are just too fruit heavy. Maerzen beers are spiced oddly to my palate, and stouts generally taste hyper-bitter. I have tried dozens of each - at this point I will continue to focus on exploring beer styles that offer a higher chance of satisfaction to my palate.

I do enjoy IPA. Over the last few years, I have noticed a trend for brewers reducing overall hoppiness and opting instead for targeting some fairly complex flavor profiles. This makes me happy - when Sierra Nevada were helping make IPA popular across the country they were the hoppiest thing around. At some point, their beer didn't even register as hoppy compared to the "craft" beer trends. There are some incredible IPA out there now - and most are not much hoppier than a good lager these days.

I enjoy a Hefeweissen beer from time to time, a local brewery here has one (with a typical cheesy small brewery name: hefemetal) that is outstanding but my favorite by far is the Schell Hefeweiss. Schell beers in general are pretty damn good. You can tour their brewery (kind of) and they have a great biergarten with peacocks running around, a nice swag store, and a kickass museum. They also brew 1919 root beer.

I have a signature.
  • @dcibel said:

Sour and Gose - gtfo

Can't agree more.

I have a signature.
  • @dcibel said:
    Citrus - okay in beer
    Berries - do not put in beer
    Sour and Gose - gtfo

X2 :)

• I just recently tried a cherry sour, never again...
    I tried 2 different milk stout, never ever again...

• More stouts for me I guess ;)

rjj45
  • @dcibel said:
    More stouts for me I guess ;)

I spent a long time in 2020 testing a bunch of Imperial Stouts - many of the milk stouts were just too sweet for me,
    but I found Yeti stout, and it is #1 in my book.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • I like a stout or porter that is not sweet. I'm having troubles to get them around here.
    Most are super sweet.

• @Silver1omo said:
    I like a stout or porter that is not sweet. I'm having troubles to get them around here.
    Most are super sweet.

Guinness Foreign Extra Stout is a big improvement on the original. Not sweet at all.

• I bought a bottle of Bowmore 15 yesterday - it runs around $70 here. For some reason, it bothers me not to spend $70 on a bottle of hooch - but the pucker factor kicks in big time when I look at a $70 driver. I mean, seriously - what the fuck?

Anyways, it is my second favorite Islay Scotch (right behind Lagavulin 16) so it is definitely money well spent.

I have a signature.
  • @jr@mac said:
    I bought a bottle of Bowmore 15 yesterday - it runs around $70 here. For some reason, it bothers me not to spend $70 on a bottle of hooch - but the pucker factor kicks in big time when I look at a $70 driver. I mean, seriously - what the fuck?

Anyways, it is my second favorite Islay Scotch (right behind Lagavulin 16) so it is definitely money well spent.

That is my go to bottle of Single Malt - going to open this tonight for a birthday dram!

dcibeljr@macrjj45
  • edited November 2021

Happy Friday :)

Local flavours - How could I resist the marketing... Interesting yellow colour, flavour is not as intense as the label would lead you to believe. Still a fine beer, I won't send it back, but it's not anything special.

BNA used to make a earl grey tea beer which was really unique. Not for everyone but I kept coming back to it, it had a flavour profile that I just didn't find anywhere else. Haven't seen it in a while so I can only assume they're not making it anymore.

squamishdroc
  • Guess i might not go to work in the morning...

rjj45squamishdroc
    I have a signature.
  • Nice to see some of Grand Rapids made it out your way.

• Beer looks nice, the cinnamon whisky on the other hand...nice if you're joining the local rec hockey team :)

Now we are getting silly. This one is heavy, and a lovely rich flavour. Very caramel forward, probably best to avoid for those who find the stouts too sweet.

squamishdroc
  • The wife grabbed a bottle of Vanilla (don't remember if it was Jack or JimBean) for some fancy cooking of hers. Cracked it open and took a swig. Not a fan. Not a fan al all. A bottle of McCormick vanilla flavoring tastes better.

• This was acceptable.

squamishdroc
  • With the holidays coming up soon, I needed to do some research for some special gifts. So I really enjoy the standard Auchentoshan 12 yr single malt scotch - about $60 a bottle. Decided to try some upscale Auchentoshan, they triple distill it and use 3 different casks to age it. About $90 a bottle, but super, super smooth. Wow.

jr@macsquamishdroc
  • @rjj45 said:
    With the holidays coming up soon, I needed to do some research for some special gifts. So I really enjoy the standard Auchentoshan 12 yr single malt scotch - about $60 a bottle. Decided to try some upscale Auchentoshan, they triple distill it and use 3 different casks to age it. About $90 a bottle, but super, super smooth. Wow.

Mm, I have never spent over 50 in booze.
    Might do it this Xmas.

rjj45
  • Tonight's lineup

jhollanderdcibelsquamishdroc
  • edited November 2021

Special day, special beer. This is Eclipse from Central City Brewing in Surrey, BC. Aged for 6 months in Kentucky bourbon barrels. It exudes deep aromas of roasted malts and bakers chocolate combined with a silky full body. 9% ABV.

It's very good, the description is accurate, and the wax on the cap is frustrating, not easily removed. While it's good, it has got nothing on the Baltic Porter I had last Xmas, which sits next to it on the shelf at the liquor store.

jhollandersquamishdroc
  • Well, it looks great, but so sad it doesn't measure up.

• Good. Smooth finish.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • This one is a weird beast. The 9th iteration of "Numbskull", double IPA coming in at 9.1% ABV. This is a bit of a small batch experimental hop lunacy beer, each release is different from the last, and this is the 9th release. Says it has Ekuanot hops in it. Surprisingly mild smooth flavour for a double IPA, slight citrus and I'd almost describe it as a bit creamy. Half a pint in you will be reminded that it's not a 5-6% beer. Very enjoyable as most Lighthouse brews are.

jhollandersquamishdrocrjj45
  • Dcibel, what speakers are those? Can you link the build? They look great!