Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Adult Refreshments

Comments

• I'm not a Cognac drinker, but found a review of the Courvoisier VS. Kind of reminds me of some of the high end speaker reviews. At least it isn't a veiled blanket. :)

Mild oak and almond aromas lead the nose. Dried fig, raisin and baked apple sit beneath a light blanket of vanilla, exiting with brisk baking spice and a flicker of alcohol heat.

• @Ed_Perkins said:
    I'm not a Cognac drinker, but found a review of the Courvoisier VS. Kind of reminds me of some of the high end speaker reviews. At least it isn't a veiled blanket. :)

Mild oak and almond aromas lead the nose. Dried fig, raisin and baked apple sit beneath a light blanket of vanilla, exiting with brisk baking spice and a flicker of alcohol heat.

That's pretty typical for alcohol reviews.

I have a signature.
  • I'll have a dram, Brad. I like Cognac.

hifiside
    I have a signature.
  • Unfortunately my home bar looks like this currently.

Have faux brick panels for one wall and wainscoting around the other walls.

hifiside
    I have a signature.
  • Going for old fashioned Irish/English pub look.

kenrhodesa4eaudio
    I have a signature.

• Pre-lunch snack.

kenrhodesMikeg
    I have a signature.
  • edited October 2023

Gha I want a shed pub so bad..

I like his idea to have the bar be against the wall. I never really thought a typical bar that separates you from everyone else really fit with the more personal setting of a home where you are going to be with friends and family. It also takes up alot of space that you could have for better seating. Though I understand why folks would want to more fully emulate commercial bars for the "cool factor".

• edited October 2023

I have a signature.
  • @Ed_Perkins said:
    I'm not a Cognac drinker, but found a review of the Courvoisier VS. Kind of reminds me of some of the high end speaker reviews. At least it isn't a veiled blanket. :)

Same people that write audiophile product reviews?

• @DrewsBrews said:

I like his idea to have the bar be against the wall. I never really thought a typical bar that separates you from everyone else really fit with the more personal setting of a home where you are going to be with friends and family. It also takes up alot of space that you could have for better seating. Though I understand why folks would want to more fully emulate commercial bars for the "cool factor".

We just do not do much entertaining so we emulate commercial bars with our basement bar.

I have a signature.
  • Airport drink before Iowa, with a stop in Chicago.

jr@mac

• "Mad Butcher" local IPA. Pretty good!

Silver1omo
    I have a signature.
  • Sorry, in Mankato doing a pub crawl. Pre-gaming, as it were

I have a signature.
  • Nice lacing..

I have a signature.
  • @DrewsBrews said:

Hmm - I want! =)

• I'm a sucker for a dessert stout. Probably stems from my unhealthy relationship with cake.

tajanesjhollander

• 'rents are staying the entire long weekend with us, so getting a buzz on before they get here in a little while.
    Glenmorangie 18yr.

Silver1omokenrhodesDirk
    I have a signature.
  • I'm no photographer, but it's Rabbit Hole Cavehill on the rocks tonight. A little sweet, a little stony, with a rye-like bite. My current favorite.

Happy Thanksgiving all! I hope your day was warm and bright.

jr@mac
  • Thanks to JP I got the bug for rum and coke.

JasonPjr@mac
  • Well... that was interesting lol. I actually love me some whisky.. also love me some whiskey.

I have a signature.
  • edited November 2023

@Silver1omo said:
    Thanks to JP I got the bug for rum and coke.

Looks like my kind of rum/coke ratio!

• Thanks to Alexis I had to have another round of rum and coke (I see a feedback loop forming!)

kenrhodesSilver1omojhollander
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • @JasonP said:
    Thanks to Alexis I had to have another round of rum and coke (I see a feedback loop forming!)

My sister loves that rum.

JasonP
  • edited December 2023

My aunt is starting up a tradition of renting a cabin in Indiana before Thanksgiving for family to gather at. While up there the wife and I did a tour of Hard Truth distillery. Stuck our finger in a bubbling batch of mash and all. Pretty neat

Based on the tasting we did there... The High road is more my jam (if you can't tell).. More on the oakey bourbon side. The cask strength on the right definitely brought the rye heat, but in a totally different way (grassy?), and the rest of the flavor profile was WAY more in a cleaner Irish style IMO. I bought that for my father since he likes both hefty Rye pepper and Irish/scotch flavors. It is a different batch than the one I tasted, but hopefully it is similar.

Based on the labeling they do sweet mash. Which as far as I'm aware means they do a 100% fresh batch every time. Vs a sour mash that would start with the leftovers that didn't make it into the still from the previous ferment.

Dirkjhollander
  • Love me a good rye!

I have a signature.
  • I thought in a sour mash, you did use some of the trub leftover from the still in the next mash?

• tajanesSilver1omoSteve_Leesquamishdroc
    I have a signature.
  • nice collection- cheers

jr@mac
  • Is that a challenge? Like name that tune? I can finish that bar in 10 days...

jr@mac