Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Adult Refreshments

Comments

• was the bar counter already there - or you added it? Looks like a pretty solid one!
  • We added it. Very solid. 
    ani_101
    I have a signature.
  • jr@mac said:
    We added it. Very solid. 
    Looks good - nice collection of drink too :)

• Will not buy again, too sweet for me. 
  • No brewmaster or anything but to get sweet beer does than indicate incomplete fermentation, an initial intentional excess of sugar (both 1&2 would make me think some odd flavors could be introduced because of stressed yeast) or has it been back-sweetened?  

• A lot better. 
    jhollanderdcibelsquamishdrockennyk
  •  Too many of the flavoured stouts (and vanilla is notorious for this) are obnoxiously sweet, taste like they've had flavour extract dropped into them, or both. My favourite stout of all time is a flavoured one, but for every one I like, there's 10 I won't repeat. You don't know till you try!
  • It would also be interesting to now which are peoples' least favoured brews: since I've been drinking proper beer like Coopers (I'm in Oz), I find the mainstream commercial brews insipid and bland. The Queensland beer XXXX once scored the wooden spoon in a beer tasting by 'The Age' newspaper, which described it as "undrinkable swill". Sales of mainstream beers have steadily declined here, while 'craft' beer is getting more market share despite its generally higher price.

Any ideas/comments?

Geoff

• That bar is gorgeous!
  • It would also be interesting to now which are peoples' least favoured brews...

Any ideas/comments?

Geoff

Dragon's milk, Minerva ITA, Cucapá Green Card and Lakewood Temptress.

• It would also be interesting to now which are peoples' least favoured brews...

Any ideas/comments?

Geoff

Dragon's milk, Minerva ITA, Cucapá Green Card and Lakewood Temptress.

Recent bad was Boulevard Honey blond ale, then the usual Blue moon, most Leinenkugel's, Modelo, Stella Artois, Stout and IPA combos aka Black IPA, Stag, Grain belt, Milwaukee's Best, etc.  Generally not a beer snob if it's free and cold.
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Least favourite? Anything with "sour" in the name, or "Gose", more like gross! Also anything with blackberries or black currants.
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • edited June 2020
    I like blue moon.  Maple flavored Angry Orchard and SamAdams Cherry Wheat are yuk.  Couldn't give away the cherry wheat.      
  • Rogue's Voodoo Doughnut Bacon Maple was probably one of the worst beers I have ever had - just tasted like smoky charcoal from the bottom of the smoker :p
  • The usuals we keep in the fridge here are:

1. Sam Adams
    2. Fat Tire
    3. Deer Brand (when I can find it)
    4. Blue Moon

We also rotate through various other beers. She tends to favor the darker, somewhat bitter beers. I tend to favor moderately hoppy lagers. We meet in the middle on the above list. 

So, I am going to buy this for the bar:

Now, how much fun will that be?
    squamishdroc
    I have a signature.
  • edited June 2020
    Surprisingly, no one has mentioned AmberBock.  It's my favorite find it everywhere beer.  I've always wanted a couple real pinball machines for the shed and a PacMan. 

• Gin and tonic. 
    joeybuttsThumperTom
  • The gf drinks gin pretty much exclusively now. I recently bought her a bottle of Roku gin, and I think it may be the best gin I've ever had!
  • dcibel said:
    The gf drinks gin pretty much exclusively now. I recently bought her a bottle of Roku gin, and I think it may be the best gin I've ever had!
    Might search for a bottle, how do you drink it? 
  • Just soda and lime or lemon, some ginger if you have it. Tonic is fine but we try to avoid the sugar these days.
  • Juniper berries  
  • Just a stone's throw away from the better known home of Templeton Rye is a newer distillery called Lonely Oak. The label for their North 40 vodka features a historic plat map of the township where I was raised as the background. So if you ever score a bottle, my great grandfather's name is right at the crest of the "h". Heirloom variety corn for their mash is grown within eyeshot of my Mom's house.

Silver1omo
  • Turn2 said:
    Just a stone's throw away from the better known home of Templeton Rye is a newer distillery called Lonely Oak. The label for their North 40 vodka features a historic plat map of the township where I was raised as the background. So if you ever score a bottle, my great grandfather's name is right at the crest of the "h". Heirloom variety corn for their mash is grown within eyeshot of my Mom's house.

That's pretty cool!

Are they distilling in Templeton now? Last I heard they were importing Rye from Indiana for aging and distribution out of Templeton. 

We tried stopping there on our way home from Ankeny last fall - closed on Sundays. We will likely stop by on our way down this year for the tour and a tasting. Mmmmm, rye. 
    I have a signature.
  • There are several large Juniper trees (Juniperus communis) in the front yard and the purchased botanical list isn't too involved.  Are there any guinea pigs?      
  • edited June 2020
    jr@mac said:
    Turn2 said:
    Just a stone's throw away from the better known home of Templeton Rye is a newer distillery called Lonely Oak. The label for their North 40 vodka features a historic plat map of the township where I was raised as the background. So if you ever score a bottle, my great grandfather's name is right at the crest of the "h". Heirloom variety corn for their mash is grown within eyeshot of my Mom's house.

That's pretty cool!

Are they distilling in Templeton now? Last I heard they were importing Rye from Indiana for aging and distribution out of Templeton. 

We tried stopping there on our way home from Ankeny last fall - closed on Sundays. We will likely stop by on our way down this year for the tour and a tasting. Mmmmm, rye. 
    Yes, after all the grief about the Indiana product they were selling, they do have production in Templeton. I was part of a tour there last fall. For a teeny tiny rural Iowa town the business has really done a lot for the community. The tour is worth the stop.
    I've also toured Lonely Oak. As a recent startup they are still quite small, but it's an impressive start. Obviously their roots don't go back to the gangster past of the prohibition like TR, but it''s still a good story.

jr@mac
  • edited June 2020
    Not bad at all. 
    squamishdroc
  • Thought I would try something different today - a triple of triples  =)

dcibel

• squamishdrocjhollanderdynamo
    I have a signature.
  • It would also be interesting to now which are peoples' least favoured brews: since I've been drinking proper beer like Coopers (I'm in Oz), I find the mainstream commercial brews insipid and bland. The Queensland beer XXXX once scored the wooden spoon in a beer tasting by 'The Age' newspaper, which described it as "undrinkable swill". Sales of mainstream beers have steadily declined here, while 'craft' beer is getting more market share despite its generally higher price.

Any ideas/comments?

Geoff

Pretty much any sour. The open ferment garbage is disgusting. People used to consider it an "infection" in your beer until hipsters made it cool. 

Anything in a clear bottle is going to be skunky, which is why Stella taste terrible out of a bottle. Green bottles also likely, which is why Heineken is also bad out of a bottle. 

Anything bottle as a "shandy."

• Recent bad was Boulevard Honey blond ale, then the usual Blue moon, most Leinenkugel's, Modelo, Stella Artois, Stout and IPA combos aka Black IPA, Stag, Grain belt, Milwaukee's Best, etc.  Generally not a beer snob if it's free and cold.
    Interesting. Boulevard usually makes good quality stuff.