Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

IowaDIY 2016

Comments

• I can bring the Samson amp we used a few years ago.  500 "honest" watts.
    JasonP
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • If you really need power and someone is willing to do pick-up/drop-off I can lend out my XPA-1's and XSP-1...
  • Chris - that is a generous offer. 
    I have a signature.
  • Registration page up and running:

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/events/iowa2016/registration/

Check out our sponsors and give them some love:

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/events/iowa2016/sponsors/
    I have a signature.
  • Make sure to book sooner than later if you plan on staying at a local hotel - we recommend Best Western as we negotiate a group rate.

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/events/iowa2016/lodging/

There are other options in town or the immediate area, as well. Benefits of staying at Best Western, though, are that BK, JP, and Mr. and Mrs. JR are staying there so you can look forward to that. 

Seriously, though - book 'em up, guys. 

We will have a group dinner Friday night - I recommend the steak house. Mmmmm, steak. 
    ThumperTom
    I have a signature.
  • Whare are we planning for the informal listening sessions?
  • At the hotel Friday and Saturday nights.

I have a signature.
  • I just noticed the new venue. I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing how this new room works out. The description sounds like it could be a winner.
  • We will be sending an email later this evening with some updates etc. Look for it.

If you have not done so, register at the hotel and register with us - including anyone you will be bringing as additional guests. 

Use this thread for any questions or concerns or comments, if you would. 
    I have a signature.
  • I am registered and have my room reserved! Now I need to get busy!
  • I was hoping to attend, but not this year............ shoot.  :'(
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • Craig, will the GRS project be ready?
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • No John.  I reshuffled the working order of all my current projects and that one slipped back a few spots.
  • A GRS project, you say?
    I have a signature.
  • Two GRS15PF-8 per side in OB project.  I got the 4 drivers for free from DanP.
    MikeJennensjr@mackennykJasonP
  • I've been curious to know what two 15"ers sound like in an open baffle. I almost pulled the trigger on 4 of the 12"ers, a couple of times, but wasn't quite sure if they're what I wanted. 

If I like the sound of them, maybe that will give me the kick in the a$$ to get my basement man-cave finished. Between those, the Sunflowers, and whatever else I decide to use, my family room would be overrun with speakers. A man-cave can never have too many speakers; unless there's no room for MORE speakers!
  • Bryan and I listened to a very large dual 15" OB design at Axpona 2015. It used Eminence bass drivers, and that really expensive 8" Tang Band full range sandwiched in-between them. The Tang Band is the one with the radial array of neo magnets. 

Once we moved the chairs out of the way and sat on the floor, the thing sounded pretty damn nice, actually. 
    I have a signature.
  • I'll be bringing the Titan OB to Iowa, I was looking forward to comparing them to the GRS, and maybe Dan Ps Hurricanes. 

I think all in for the Titans was less than $300.

• I'll be bringing the Titan OB to Iowa, I was looking forward to comparing them to the GRS, and maybe Dan Ps Hurricanes. 

I think all in for the Titans was less than $300.

Are there catalog drivers that can be used to build the Titan OB, John? 
    I have a signature.
  • JR, the 15 inch 4 ohm high QTS woofers don't seem to be the norm.  However, I've not looked at MCM recently.  That said I'd like to sub the GRS or Goldwood and do a new design.  The GRS that Craig has is viable option and the Goldwood 12-inch sub woofer has potential, but sensitivity would be an issue.

There are lots of options and OBs can be fun but I'm not yet sold on the bass.
  • I measured the cheap MCM poly 15" a few years ago, had a Q of 1.4 and Fs under 30hz, might be an option. Some of their cheap pro audio drivers have measured pretty high Q as well.
    I have a signature.
  • jr@mac said:
    I measured the cheap MCM poly 15" a few years ago, had a Q of 1.4 and Fs under 30hz, might be an option. Some of their cheap pro audio drivers have measured pretty high Q as well.
    That would be perfect, xmax would tell us how many per side. 
  • Advertised is 5mm
    I have a signature.
  • Since I'm coming by myself this year, is anybody interested in splitting a room? 
  • MartyH said:
    Since I'm coming by myself this year, is anybody interested in splitting a room? 
    I would. :)
  • We can do that!
  • Just a reminder - if you have not registered and plan on attending, please do so ASAP:

We will have our demo upload public very soon. We plan on going completely "mechless" this year - so please take advantage of us and upload your demo. For some basic editing tips, you can follow this tutorial:

If you are planning on bringing a disk with your demo, one of us may have time to transfer it into the digital domain for playback on our mechless system. We would really prefer that we all use the upload system, however.  

JP is building a very high end, PC-based, all-in-one hi-rez media player capable of playing back all digital audio files - so if you are an HD Tracks junkie we will be able to play them back without resampling. This alone is a great reason to skip the disk burning and CD tray fumbling!

Email us descriptions and maybe pictures of your swap meet stuff! We will create a page and host it up on the MAC site! Remember - these events are as much for keeping goodies in circulation and getting people designing during the off-season as they are for presenting our completed work!

As always, show our sponsors some love:

If you have not booked a room, do it now:

See you all soon!

-JR
    I have a signature.
  • Registered. Took bloody ages for the confirmation page to load, but I'm in.

Anyone interested in splitting a room Friday night?
  • I registered many days ago, and I'm sure many have already as well, but it still says TBD for the registered list.  Any chance of updating that.  I'm always curious to see who else will be attending and a brief description of what they will be demo'n.
  • That list, and the upload link will be ready this week. Sorry for the delay. 
    I have a signature.