Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

IowaDIY 2016

123457»

Comments

• D1PP1N said:
    ScottS said:
    If you want to go even cheaper, the Dayton SD270A-88 that I used in the Indium 7 has smooth response out past 1kHz and is less than $40.  In the Indium 7, it is crossed at 750 Hz.
    What do you think the sound quality would be on that woofer crossed that high? I haven't heard your build before. I can buy 4 of them or the dsa's and get a slight discount. I wouldn't mind using 2 for the sb29/vifa/10" woofer 3way and use the other 2 for the waveguide build. I definitely don't want to sacrifice sound quality to save a few bucks is what I am saying. 
    I was worried about it.  When I was working with PE on the project plan, I had to specify a couple of backup options in case the SD270 didn't work out, but it wound up sounding as good as the response curve looked.  The sealed alignment in about 40 liters works very well.
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • Ani & Bill,

Thanks for the feedback on the HD vs regular comparison. I have both on my system here at home and I've found that the differences are usually pretty subtle. It really depends on the recording.

I'm always interested to hear others opinions.

Jim
  • kennyk said:
    jholtz said:
    How did the HD vs standard track comparison come out?

Jim
    If this is a comparison of bit rates, we tried that at DIY-NY and found it was easier to discern different rates with vocals/midrange.
    Hi Kenny,

I just saw your response. I agree, the midrange is where I can hear the most differences if at all.

Thank you!

Jim
  • Archive page being built as we speak......all of Bill's pics are up and a couple vids as well.  I will be adding content this week.  Check it out!!

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/event-archive/iowa-2016/
    kennyk
    My signature goes here
  • Great job! Thanks BK, JP and JR with a special thanks to Bill.
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • Sneak peek at a new spotlight feature on the MAC site.  Bill S. wowed us at the Iowa DIY with his vintage 15ips open reel recording transcribed to hi-rez DEMO and it was handled flawlessly by JP's JupiterSTATION.  Full details to follow.
    My signature goes here
  • edited October 2016
    Before the full spotlight, here's a tease.  Sorry - a facebook tease.  If you have not liked the Iowa DIY, you'll prob not be able to see this.  
    https://www.facebook.com/Iowadiy/videos/562689020606296/ ;
    brek81
    My signature goes here
  • For those interested, here's a link to a PDF file which contains the speaker evaluation forms from Iowa.  I decided not to transfer the data to excel and do any number crunching, so here are the forms, as is.  The file is downloadable.  https://app.box.com/v/iowaevaluations

kennyk
    My signature goes here
  • Thanks for putting the evaluations together BK. Good info there.